Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking/Ticking noise when turning steering wheel all the way left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed a ticking/clicking noise coming from the steering wheel column/dash area when making turns? Mine happens when I am turning all the way left in a circle. Some days I don't hear it at all when I turn, while other days I hear it every time I turn. I have brought it to the SC twice already: (1) they re-torqued the suspension bolts/lubricated something up and (2) they replaced both front left and right Stabilizer Bar Links. Sound started to come back lately so not sure what I'm dealing with. Any thoughts?

Has anyone noticed a ticking/clicking noise coming from the steering wheel column/dash area when making turns? Mine happens when I am turning all the way left in a circle. Some days I don't hear it at all when I turn, while other days I hear it every time I turn. I have brought it to the SC twice already: (1) they re-torqued the suspension bolts/lubricated something up and (2) they replaced both front left and right Stabilizer Bar Links. Sound started to come back lately so not sure what I'm dealing with. Any thoughts?
Sounds as a classic CV joint problem. Another possibility - wheel bearings, but then you would likely hear speed-dependent noise when driving straight.

Do U know…?-Is it technically coming from steering wheel/column area?…or Technically the suspension (when you listen)? We had a similar clicking noise in our 2018 S but that was definitely suspension related and for which they tried similar repair measures, but sadly, to no avail. Depending on how they’d torque, it would evolve from clicking to creaking and vs versa. We would hear it/experience it most at slow speed and when turning the wheel significantly or when on un-even road surfaces such as driveways or speed bumps. We have a 2021 S now (that thankfully, has none of this),

Yes. Posted a lot about this in at least 2 threads last year with my 2020 3. Here's a list of things service did before I sold the car this spring.
- LF axle nut loose - tightened at ~5000K miles
- R&R LF axle shaft at ~12000 miles
- R&R both front upper control arms at ~20,000 miles
- Said they checked steering system components - no issues found. "within spec"

Noise was still there under all driving conditions at 26K miles when sold.

I have this when turning the wheel even after having both FUCAs replaced as well as a clicking coming from rear(?) wheel area whenever I step on/off accelerator at slow speeds. I'm not sure if these sounds are related or if the clicking noise from rear is drivetrain related vs suspension.

Do U know…?-Is it technically coming from steering wheel/column area?…or Technically the suspension (when you listen)? We had a similar clicking noise in our 2018 S but that was definitely suspension related and for which they tried similar repair measures, but sadly, to no avail. Depending on how they’d torque, it would evolve from clicking to creaking and vs versa. We would hear it/experience it most at slow speed and when turning the wheel significantly or when on un-even road surfaces such as driveways or speed bumps. We have a 2021 S now (that thankfully, has none of this),
When the windows are rolled down, I don't hear anything from the outside. I do believe it's coming from the steering column area. It sounds like it's right in front of me and not near my legs (but then again I'm also human so I could be totally off). This problem arose after I asked them to align the steering wheel straight since it was lopsided when I got the car, so I have a sneaking suspicion it's from that. Also, when a mobile tech guy messed around with the bottom of the column, he made the sound much worse and more prominent. Could it be some sort of loose wiring harness that's hitting something? Idk what would make it sound like a repetitive ticking noise when turning all the way left though..

Yes. Posted a lot about this in at least 2 threads last year with my 2020 3. Here's a list of things service did before I sold the car this spring.
- LF axle nut loose - tightened at ~5000K miles
- R&R LF axle shaft at ~12000 miles
- R&R both front upper control arms at ~20,000 miles
- Said they checked steering system components - no issues found. "within spec"

Noise was still there under all driving conditions at 26K miles when sold.
Yup, I was reading through your threads haha. I'm sorry Tesla wasn't able to resolve it for you. It sounds like it has to be some sort of column issue if they did all that to your suspension with no improvement.. but then again they checked and said everything was good with the column. Weird indeed...

I have this when turning the wheel even after having both FUCAs replaced as well as a clicking coming from rear(?) wheel area whenever I step on/off accelerator at slow speeds. I'm not sure if these sounds are related or if the clicking noise from rear is drivetrain related vs suspension.
Hmm mine doesn't develop when accelerating. It's literally only if I am making a U-turn or something and have to steer all the way left. I think higher speeds might make the ticking slightly faster, but am not entirely sure and will need to test it out later.
Sounds as a classic CV joint problem. Another possibility - wheel bearings, but then you would likely hear speed-dependent noise when driving straight.
I definitely asked them to check the joint and they didn't find anything (or didn't bother checking). Instead they replaced the stabilizer bar links!

Check this video

My 2021 S does! Just got it back from first failed repair at SC. Nothing as severe as video above.