Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The condition of a rock in space is irrelevant to us if it can't support human life. His point was equally irrelevant, and frankly dangerous. The universe will be dead and empty far longer than it will be able to support any type of life, another completely irrelevant point.
His point that some of our attempts at managing our environment have had adverse consequences is true. But in doing so, he makes perfect the enemy of good. Of course we should try to keep our nest as clean as possible for as long as possible.

The whole diatribe was so dark I can't believe his audience thought it was funny. Probably a laugh track.

His point that some of our attempts at managing our environment have had adverse consequences is true. But in doing so, he makes perfect the enemy of good. Of course we should try to keep our nest as clean as possible for as long as possible.

The whole diatribe was so dark I can't believe his audience thought it was funny. Probably a laugh track.
Not everyone is doom and gloom every hour of every day. Knock a few back and relax, bro.

I listened. I chuckled.

What’s the problem?
OK, "20 million years from now, no one will know the difference." I remind myself of that every once in a while.

I don't have a problem with chuckling. It's good to laugh at ourselves.

I'm just saying that his bit was so entirely fatalistic it was sad, and if you actually take that view you might just as well jump off a bridge.

Now I agree that Solar and wind are more viable, cheaper, cleaner, better in every conceivable way.

But if we had of switched to nuclear power in earnest in the 70s and 80s a lot of the fossil fuel plants would have already been shut down.
Based on what? The "energy density" of solar and wind are horrible compared to nuclear-the amount of land area that must be covered for the same power output is orders of magnitude larger. Add to that, nuclear of course is not an unstable, intermittent source, that depends on weather, latitude or if it's nighttime, or the wind isn't blowing. We still, desperately need nuclear, more than ever with the ever increasing demands for electrical power. We had the technology 60 years ago to produce nuclear plants that made far less waste, and that could process and used existing waste as fuel. Had we not wasted decades, we would have a clean, stable grid and not cover tens of thousands of acres with wind and solar farms.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Based on what? The "energy density" of solar and wind are horrible compared to nuclear-the amount of land area that must be covered for the same power output is orders of magnitude larger. Add to that, nuclear of course is not an unstable, intermittent source, that depends on weather, latitude or if it's nighttime, or the wind isn't blowing. We still, desperately need nuclear, more than ever with the ever increasing demands for electrical power. We had the technology 60 years ago to produce nuclear plants that made far less waste, and that could process and used existing waste as fuel. Had we not wasted decades, we would have a clean, stable grid and not cover tens of thousands of acres with wind and solar farms.

Nuclear power costs much more per kw than solar or wind. Wind and solar are more viable because regulatory approval is easier to get and public opposition to them is low. They are cheaper on a cost per kw basis. They are cleaner because there is no nuclear waste and no risk of a meltdown. So all of those things make them better.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The "energy density" of solar and wind are horrible compared to nuclear-the amount of land area that must be covered for the same power output is orders of magnitude larger.
First of all if the difference in land area doesn't include the required exclusion zones for nuclear plants and the land area required for processing and storing nuclear fuel and waste it's not accurate. More importantly though is the simple fact that land area is not a constraint for renewables especially when solar can easily be installed on already occupied land area such as rooftops and parking areas. Wind can also be installed off shore, using no land at all. "Energy density" is not an argument for nuclear power.

First of all if the difference in land area doesn't include the required exclusion zones for nuclear plants and the land area required for processing and storing nuclear fuel and waste it's not accurate. More importantly though is the simple fact that land area is not a constraint for renewables especially when solar can easily be installed on already occupied land area such as rooftops and parking areas. Wind can also be installed off shore, using no land at all. "Energy density" is not an argument for nuclear power.

Land area isn't a constraint for solar in the USA, whether or not you cover man-made surfaces. It would take less land area than is currently used for biofuel production.

Covering existing man-made surfaces is objectively better as it has indirect benefits, but it's more expensive.
But since we're talking about nuclear, obviously cost doesn't matter.

And then there is the real world. I did a little digging-it would take 22,000 square miles of solar panels (an area roughly the size of Lake Michigan) covered in solar cells to provide for the power needs just for this country. That's assuming that the resources to build them was even available. It takes a square mile or more of panels to power a small village. The largest nuclear power plant in this country outputs 3.9 gigawatts, and can do so essentially continuously. The largest solar farm in the world is located in India, covers nearly 16 square miles, and at peak output 2.2 gW (and of course none once the sun goes down). We need nuclear, now more than ever, if we want to reduce CO2 emissions and meet our increasing electricity demands).

I did a little digging-
As did I, about 40% could be rooftops.
In total, they estimate that there are a little over 8 billion square meters of suitable roofs in the US. Cover that in solar panels, and you would produce about 1,400 terawatt hours of electricity each year—about two-thirds of which would come from small residential buildings. The total production is equal to nearly 40 percent of the total electricity currently sold by utilities in the US.

Existing parking spaces could handle all needs.
For every 100 square meters of roadway, there is about 50 square meters of parking space. In sum, the amount of land devoted roadways and parking in the U.S. can cover the entire state of West Virginia—that’s about 24,000 square miles or 62,000 square kilometers.

Energy density is not an argument for nuclear power.

And then there is the real world. I did a little digging-it would take 22,000 square miles of solar panels (an area roughly the size of Lake Michigan) covered in solar cells to provide for the power needs just for this country.

That’s it? 22k square miles? How do you not realize what an incredible bargain that is? You realize we’re wasting >2x that much land producing ethanol that can’t even displace 15% of oil…. right? And that’s 50k sq miles of prime farmland. Solar can go pretty much anywhere. Let’s go! :)

Wait till they get lunar panels up and running…
Precisely the plan. NASA aims to setup permanent bases on the moon's surface.

The Space Launch System rocket with an Orion capsule (capsule too uses solar panels for power) is scheduled to launch on August 29 for a test flight around the moon, no humans just yet. This will eventually lead to a subsequent mission to again land astronauts on the moon and later Mars.

Those bases will need energy, so yes the importance of solar panels can hardly be overstated.

NASA, Industry Mature Vertical Solar Arrays for Lunar Surface

Last edited:
KHOU.com: VERIFY: Wind generators turned off sometimes to prevent Texas power grid from overloading.

Yep, and build more fossil fuel plants and run them at 100% capacity during grid peak and force more wind farms to spin down. That will show those wind farms. LOL