Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is beyond stupid. What do you think would happen if fossil fuel companies decided on their own to save the planet and stop producing and selling all fossil fuels? First the government would not allow it but let's assume the government would go along with it. How many people would survive? Let's even think about what would have happened back in 1970 if they decided to limit the amount of production to drive up the price of fossil fuels. Again the government would not have allowed it. How many times have congress hauled in oil company executives to question them about about possible high fuel prices? But assuming the government allowed the oil companies to limit or stop producing fossil fuels what would our lives be like today? We would be so poor that no one would care about the environment.
How’s your progress coming on learning about instrumentation bias? Can you readily agree that it’s necessary yet?

It's called the EV transition. Your scenario doesn't matter to me because I drive an EV.....and I save money buy not paying for gas, so I'm richer, not poorer. I think you need to read this book because you seem like it's ok to be trapped by the oil industry and gov't with respect to how we move around. Govt's have controlled the people's energy needs since the 10 century....we have the technology now to take it back.

41w3jv2B5ZL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Com...sr=8-1&keywords=how+the+world+addicted+to+oil

So you think if all fossil fuels were shut down today it would not impact you because you drive and EV? I guess if you live off the grid you would be able to drive your car but what about everyone else. I have solar panels that work great in the winter but don't produce much during the winter. How about getting food to the grocery store? If you think it should have been mandated back in the 1970's renewable technology was nowhere near ready to replace fossil fuels. If the oil companies or the government would have tried to limit fossil fuel production there would have been riots. Just looked what happened during the oil embargo.

Reactions: dhrivnak
So you think if all fossil fuels were shut down today it would not impact you because you drive and EV? I guess if you live off the grid you would be able to drive your car but what about everyone else. I have solar panels that work great in the winter but don't produce much during the winter. How about getting food to the grocery store? If you think it should have been mandated back in the 1970's renewable technology was nowhere near ready to replace fossil fuels. If the oil companies or the government would have tried to limit fossil fuel production there would have been riots. Just looked what happened during the oil embargo.
I think you are protecting a problem for the govt and industry that is self made. How about our nation put money into solar, wind, and energy storage like we did to mobilize in the WWII era? Then, the transition will happen a lot quicker and we can cut out the dirty energy.

Last edited:
I think you are protecting a problem for the govt and industry that is self made. How about our nation put money into solar, wind, and energy storage like we did to mobilize in the WWII era? Then, the transition will happen a lot quicker and we can cut out the dirty energy.

Why do we need to subsidize wind and solar since most of you keep saying it's already less expensive than fossil fuels? If so why wouldn't we switch naturally to the less expensive alternate? By the way I actually believe we should conserve energy so why not slap a $4-5 gallon tax on gasoline and diesel like many other countries. This would certainly get folks to cut down on their use if nothing else by moving towards more efficient vehicles including EVs. I find it hard to understand why the US has a higher percentage of EVs compared to many countries that have much higher fuel taxes.

Why do we need to subsidize wind and solar since most of you keep saying it's already less expensive than fossil fuels? If so why wouldn't we switch naturally to the less expensive alternate? By the way I actually believe we should conserve energy so why not slap a $4-5 gallon tax on gasoline and diesel like many other countries. This would certainly get folks to cut down on their use if nothing else by moving towards more efficient vehicles including EVs. I find it hard to understand why the US has a higher percentage of EVs compared to many countries that have much higher fuel taxes.

I've only joined the forums yesterday but I noticed your comment, so if I could respond...

The reason we need to subsidize renewable is because our environment is in crisis. The faster we transition to a renewable energy economy, the more able will be able to mitigate the costs of climate change.

Also, such a huge tax on gas is a regressive tax. I support taxes on gas but I don't support a regressive tax system which makes the poor pay even more just to get to work. And I disagree that higher costs will reduce consumption. The average person who is living paycheck to paycheck is not going to stop driving to work.

In addition, a gas tax will further depress the economy. America needs policies that will grow the economy and get people spending. It's going to happen, I'm sure of it. :D

Why do we need to subsidize wind and solar since most of you keep saying it's already less expensive than fossil fuels? If so why wouldn't we switch naturally to the less expensive alternate?......
Well, for one, renewable businesses cannot deduct the cost of fuel since it is free. So, eliminate the tax deduction for fuel. Oil depletion allowance, exploration credits, plus thousands of other tax write-offs also need to go. Then, we still have all the externally (being able to pollute without paying the society costs, like health). Finally, don’t forget the military costs to protect middle eastern oil. Eliminate all those, then let’s talk.

And then there are states like Missouri (my lovely state) that constantly try to create laws to punish better fuel standards and EVs. While I agree EVs should pay their FAIR share for road maintenance, my state is looking to charge an annual fee that goes up as the MPG goes up, so a Hybrid or EV would pay $250 every year while a Hummer pays $24 (plus gas tax). WHAT?
What does road repair have to do with MPG? Should not all vehicles pay about the same for road maintenance? or at least do it by axle weight?

Of course we have to incentivize EVs when some states are trying to destroy them.

Missouri lawmakers looking at higher vehicle fees to pay for road and bridge repairs

Same thing in California, BEV’s do not buy gas so do not pay the gas tax embedded in the cost of gas. I do not mind paying for road repair but unfortunately the monies collected are not going to repair the roads. So once everyone grabs the money collected there is none left to repair our horrible highway system.

• Informative
Reactions: Sudre
The world is in the middle of what is likely to be the warmest 10 years since records began in 1850, say scientists.

The Met Office is forecasting that temperatures for each of the next five years are likely to be 1C or more above pre-industrial levels.

In the next five years there's also a chance we'll see a year in which the average global temperature rise could be greater than 1.5C.

That's seen as a critical threshold for climate change.

If the data matches the forecast, then the decade from 2014-2023 will be the warmest in more than 150 years of record keeping.

The Met Office says that 2015 was the first year in which the global annual average surface temperature reached 1C above the pre-industrial level, which is generally taken to mean the temperatures between 1850 and 1900.

Each year since then, the global average has hovered close to or above the 1C mark. Now, the Met Office says that trend is likely to continue or increase over the next five years.

<snip>
Full article at:
World headed for warmest period on record

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Same thing in California, BEV’s do not buy gas so do not pay the gas tax embedded in the cost of gas. I do not mind paying for road repair but unfortunately the monies collected are not going to repair the roads. So once everyone grabs the money collected there is none left to repair our horrible highway system.
Last week, the California state legislature approved a $52 billion transportation-funding package.

Unlike the practice in previous years, this one is to be used only for improvements to the transportation infrastructure, to begin cutting into an estimated $ 130 billion backlog of repairs and expansions.
A new, $100 annual fee will be imposed on all zero-emissions vehicles, although not until 2020. California now has almost half the country's battery-electric and plug-in hybrid cars on its roads.

Reactions: ohmman
Last week, the California state legislature approved a $52 billion transportation-funding package.

Unlike the practice in previous years, this one is to be used only for improvements to the transportation infrastructure, to begin cutting into an estimated $ 130 billion backlog of repairs and expansions.
A new, $100 annual fee will be imposed on all zero-emissions vehicles, although not until 2020. California now has almost half the country's battery-electric and plug-in hybrid cars on its roads.
Yes I read that but do you want to make bets that the money goes into the general fund and how much will be used for road repair. They always say “Transportation Fund” not road maintenance. They also raised the gas tax portion of buying gas and they have billions but I’m not seeing roads being repaired.