Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How a top US business lobby promised climate action – but worked to block efforts

Today, on the statement’s third anniversary, the Business Roundtable and its member CEOs continue to issue earnest statements about the climate crisis. But the organization is also working diligently – and spending liberally – to weaken efforts that would enable investors to hold companies accountable for their climate promises.

Yet when the US government has tried to put the “proper policies” in place, the Business Roundtable has worked to undermine those efforts. In 2021, the organization spent millions of dollars to stop the Biden administration’s Build Back Better agenda, which included significant efforts to reduce carbon emissions and promote clean energy. And this year, after the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) proposed a long-anticipated rule that would require publicly held companies to disclose their carbon emissions and the risks that climate change poses to their business models, the Business Roundtable declared its opposition to central aspects of the SEC proposal, including provisions that experts say are vital for the rule to give investors comparable and consistent information about corporations’ climate risks.

Whether you’re a climate ‘doomer’ or ‘appeaser’, it’s best to prepare for the worst | Bill McGuire

Our world is on course for a climate cataclysm. Or is it? Not long ago, the global heating battle lines were clear: you either believed it was happening, and that it resulted from the colossal volumes of carbon spewed out by human activities, or you didn’t. As the year on year breakdown of our once stable climate has become more apparent, however, denial has become increasingly irrelevant, and new battle lines are being drawn.

While widespread blistering heat, drought and wildfires have kept climate change in the public eye, they have also heightened tensions between those I call climate appeasers, who seek to minimise how bad climate breakdown will ultimately be, and others, disparagingly branded doomers (or doomists), who are honestly concerned that it may be catastrophic, perhaps even posing an existential threat to civilisation and possibly humankind itself.

The reality is that our understanding of potential tipping points and feedback effects remains too poorly constrained for us to be confident of how severe climate breakdown will end up proving to be. Furthermore, minimising the potential impact of climate breakdown is more likely to lead to increased reticence in relation to slashing emissions than any potential exaggeration of the likely endgame. A middle of the road route would be to no one’s advantage – so, as for most situations wherein the risk is hard to quantify, there is only one sensible way forward: to hope for the best, while preparing for the worst.

But “on some level, you probably know that carbon offsets are bullshit, both because you’re a reasonably intelligent person and because you know exactly what show you are watching right now. I don’t open my beak to squawk out good news.”But exactly how offsets are bullshit is really interesting,” he continued, “because it’s easy to say that you are reducing carbon emissions but it is much harder to prove it. And the truth is, there aren’t many checks and balances in place to prevent abuse.”

But “on some level, you probably know that carbon offsets are bullshit, both because you’re a reasonably intelligent person and because you know exactly what show you are watching right now. I don’t open my beak to squawk out good news.”But exactly how offsets are bullshit is really interesting,” he continued, “because it’s easy to say that you are reducing carbon emissions but it is much harder to prove it. And the truth is, there aren’t many checks and balances in place to prevent abuse.”

He did an ok job on this, but I think CBS Morning came at it with a better approach. More facts, than antics....and I love John, he just missed it with this segment.

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
WTF is he talking about!?! He's lost his marbles....geez....just when I think he says something smart, he goes and tweets this stuff. He's not in the sex industry, he's in the energy industry. C'MON man.

Screenshot_20220826-202444_Twitter.jpg

WTF is he talking about!?! He's lost his marbles....geez....just when I think he says something smart, he goes and tweets this stuff. He's not in the sex industry, he's in the energy industry. C'MON man.

View attachment 845676
There’s a lot of nuance to this which Elon seems to miss. US immigration will blunt the issue here. China, Europe and Russia will see bigger issues with an aging population. Automation will blunt the problem. Considering Elon’s statements about where he sees robotics going, his stance on this issue doesn’t make sense. Additionally there is a lot going on in longevity research. Just look at Yamanaka factor research.

This is climate change

This is climate change

I wouldn’t mind some dry weather so I can take advantage of the rest of the viable pool season without firing up the heater.