Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Tesla owner. I believe our climate control was set to Auto when we picked up the new MY. Does the car try to maintain the set temperature when it is set to Auto but nobody is in it? For example, when it is in the garage at night, will it maintain the temperature when set to Auto? My guess is that it does not because that would be a real waste of resources. On the other hand, I thought the manual talks about using "Auto" to maintain a comfortable temperature, for example, when returning from shopping. That would imply that it is maintaining a temperature even though no one is in the car. So....can someone explain to me how the climate control "Auto" setting is suppose to work? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles
I am a new Tesla owner. I believe our climate control was set to Auto when we picked up the new MY. Does the car try to maintain the set temperature when it is set to Auto but nobody is in it? For example, when it is in the garage at night, will it maintain the temperature when set to Auto? My guess is that it does not because that would be a real waste of resources. On the other hand, I thought the manual talks about using "Auto" to maintain a comfortable temperature, for example, when returning from shopping. That would imply that it is maintaining a temperature even though no one is in the car. So....can someone explain to me how the climate control "Auto" setting is suppose to work? Thanks!
Here you go:

In general the climate control is very simple. However, the presence of some additional cool and unique climate features/options can make the topic overwhelming at first for new Tesla owners.

If you use Auto and don't select any other option (such as Keep, Dog, or Camp) then the climate control will turn off automatically after you walk away from the car. It will turn on automatically when you enter the car. If you are really worried about this, you can remotely check the status on your phone app.

The exception to this is if you've enabled scheduling or activated Keep, Dog or Camp.

Also, remember that one major benefit to an EV like Tesla is the ability to pre-heat (in winter) or pre-cool (in summer) your car cabin. You can do this from the app on your phone about 5 or 10 minutes before you return to your car.

Finally, I would note that if you are experimenting with Keep, Dog, or Camp modes to remember how the door locks work for each. For example, in Keep mode the doors will lock when you walk away. If someone is in the rear and they try to open the door, the alarm will go off if they don't have your key/phone. In Camp mode, the doors never lock (which could be bad if you intended them to).

Here you go:

In general the climate control is very simple. However, the presence of some additional cool and unique climate features/options can make the topic overwhelming at first for new Tesla owners.

If you use Auto and don't select any other option (such as Keep, Dog, or Camp) then the climate control will turn off automatically after you walk away from the car. It will turn on automatically when you enter the car. If you are really worried about this, you can remotely check the status on your phone app.

The exception to this is if you've enabled scheduling or activated Keep, Dog or Camp.

Also, remember that one major benefit to an EV like Tesla is the ability to pre-heat (in winter) or pre-cool (in summer) your car cabin. You can do this from the app on your phone about 5 or 10 minutes before you return to your car.

Finally, I would note that if you are experimenting with Keep, Dog, or Camp modes to remember how the door locks work for each. For example, in Keep mode the doors will lock when you walk away. If someone is in the rear and they try to open the door, the alarm will go off if they don't have your key/phone. In Camp mode, the doors never lock (which could be bad if you intended them to).
Great explanation. Thank you very much!

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
One additional question: Thank you for explaining that when climate control is set to "Auto", it will turn off when the occupants exit the car after it is put into park. I'm currently sitting in my living room looking at the Tesla app and now I want to turn climate control back to "Auto" (it is currently off). I know how to do it from the screen in the car, but I don't see how to do it from the app. The app seems to only have on / off. Am I missing something?

One additional question: Thank you for explaining that when climate control is set to "Auto", it will turn off when the occupants exit the car after it is put into park. I'm currently sitting in my living room looking at the Tesla app and now I want to turn climate control back to "Auto" (it is currently off). I know how to do it from the screen in the car, but I don't see how to do it from the app. The app seems to only have on / off. Am I missing something?

To turn on the climate control remotely from the app, simply open the tesla app, ensure you are on the page with the car you want (if you have multiple tesla products in the app) then click the fan icon in the app, thats next to the lock:

Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 3.28.20 PM.png

To turn on the climate control remotely from the app, simply open the tesla app, ensure you are on the page with the car you want (if you have multiple tesla products in the app) then click the fan icon in the app, thats next to the lock:

View attachment 957839
I guess I knew you could turn climate control "on / off" remotely. What I was looking for was how to put the climate control into "Auto" from the app. That way I didn't have to remember to do that the next time I was in the car. There doesn't seem to be an option in the app for that. I was wondering if I was missing how to do that. Obviously, it's no big deal because (if I remember to do this) I will simply put it into "auto" the next time I get in the car and I will leave it in "auto" going forward.

Reactions: beachmiles
I guess I knew you could turn climate control "on / off" remotely. What I was looking for was how to put the climate control into "Auto" from the app. That way I didn't have to remember to do that the next time I was in the car. There doesn't seem to be an option in the app for that. I was wondering if I was missing how to do that. Obviously, it's no big deal because (if I remember to do this) I will simply put it into "auto" the next time I get in the car and I will leave it in "auto" going forward.
When you activate climate from your App, the car climate will be in Auto mode. When you open the door, the car climate will revert to the settings saved for that user profile (that the key is linked to).

You do not have control of every climate setting from your phone. Only "on" and "temp."