Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate not working properly (won’t maintain set temp)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At my wit’s end with this.

Last month, vehicle experienced “rattling” from behind glovebox when activating heating/cooling system. Climate otherwise worked well. Took to service center and got the rattling fixed.

However, since that time, my climate system barely works. If I set it to anything but hi or low, auto sits the fan at 5 or 6 (barely felt through the vents) and uses the head and feet vents. I set the vehicle to 80 degrees and while the app reported it was at 84 degrees inside, a thermometer I placed in the vehicle said it was just over 60. If I set it to hi or low (or manual and jack the fan up to 11), it does heat/cool, but again, after 10 minutes of that, my thermometer reported about 70 degrees while the app reported 82. Basically everything between hi and low feels like the same temp-lukewarm.

The thermometer temps felt more accurate to what I felt like the temps were.

On top of that I can no longer use the temperature maintain function (dog mode etc) or turn on climate from the app. Trying from the app gets “failed to turn on climate.” Trying from within the car says “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault.”

Took vehicle to service center (80 minutes away) on Tuesday with these complaints, and get it back today and told “nothing is wrong” even though the vehicle was reporting errors when they ran diagnostics.

I’ve seen on at least one forum someone reported this exact issue, but no one seemed to know the cause or what the SC did to fix it, if anything. I’ve tried hard rebooting.

I’m really frustrated at this point and looking into lemon law options if they continue to fail to repair this issue. But I’m hoping someone here has had this issue and got it fixed and can share what the sc did to fix it.

(My very amateur guess is its a temperature sensor failure. My app will read the car as being 84 degrees when the interior is actually mid 60s-70 per a thermometer placed in my vehicle, and just being in the car and knowing it is not 84 degrees. If the temperature sensor is not working correctly, it would make sense that climate keeper can't keep the accurate temp).

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
I have the exact same issue on my 2018 X! I sent Tesla screenshots of the mobile app climate control failed error as well as the “Climate keep unavailable due to system fault” error, and this is their immediate response:

It's warm air coming out, just not as warm as you think it should be. It's an electric heater so basically it is like a space heater. On "HI" the heater heats up to about 90% because the vehicle thinks the owner just wants hot air blowing. Anything lower than "81 setting" the heater will only heat up to about 35% so it will feel like it is not blowing hot air but it actually is.

That is the most pathetic response I’ve ever seen; they didn’t even understand what the issue was. Hoping they can fix it! Let me know what it is. One thing I noticed is that this failure seems to be intermittent, which could mean that either it’s a loose cable or some software process crashing.

Last edited:
Stepping on the brake pedal fails to turn on the car: the fob has a new battery, walking up to the car opened the car, the head lights came on (it was evening - dark), and some functions worked e.g. the radio. Eventually, I was able to turn on the car, shift the car into drive or reverse was almost unresponsive. - repeated stick operations were required to finally get into the required mode. Earlier in the day navigation stopped working and the turn signals did not work. The problem corrected itself after about 30 seconds. I have noticed when these kinds of misbehaviors occur, occasional pops begin occurring in the audio speakers. I have rebooted the software and will monitor any more problems. Any thoughts?

• Disagree
Stepping on the brake pedal fails to turn on the car: the fob has a new battery, walking up to the car opened the car, the head lights came on (it was evening - dark), and some functions worked e.g. the radio. Eventually, I was able to turn on the car, shift the car into drive or reverse was almost unresponsive. - repeated stick operations were required to finally get into the required mode. Earlier in the day navigation stopped working and the turn signals did not work. The problem corrected itself after about 30 seconds. I have noticed when these kinds of misbehaviors occur, occasional pops begin occurring in the audio speakers. I have rebooted the software and will monitor any more problems. Any thoughts?

• Disagree
Bump, to @spectrum and @Cutwolf. Receiving error message below. Unable to remotely turn on climate and pre-heat car. Issue only appeared with latest firmware update, but that MIGHT be coincidence, since it appears this has been experienced by others. HAD SAME ISSUE EARLIER IN WEEK IN NJ. Charging at Supercharger seemed to fix it (maybe that was just luck). Issue reappeared this morning.

Was going to drive the car to SC tomorrow (462 mi each way). Now worried we may lose climate functions all together.

Tried Tesla Service Line. If it’s not emergency, they are closed. On the emergency line, they had no suggestions. I rebooted MCU 3 times - no change. Rebooted IC for good measure, no change.

Also getting some funkiness with bluetooth and music. When I was on phone wit Tesla Roadside, audio was streaming and I could not turn it off. Makes me think this is an MCU issue.

Going to cross-post this in Technical issues.

Probably going to drive ICE. YUCK.

upload_2019-12-22_13-19-43.jpeg

It is day 10 for me since I picked up the car and as of tonight I now have this problem. I get a "climate keeper unavailable due to system fault" message. The car only blows cool air no matter what the temperature setting is at. Will contact the service center tomorrow.

It is day 10 for me since I picked up the car and as of tonight I now have this problem. I get a "climate keeper unavailable due to system fault" message. The car only blows cool air no matter what the temperature setting is at. Will contact the service center tomorrow.

I have Service appt on the 9th. Mine is not as severe as yours. Good luck.

I have the exact same issue on my 2018 X! I sent Tesla screenshots of the mobile app climate control failed error as well as the “Climate keep unavailable due to system fault” error, and this is their immediate response:

It's warm air coming out, just not as warm as you think it should be. It's an electric heater so basically it is like a space heater. On "HI" the heater heats up to about 90% because the vehicle thinks the owner just wants hot air blowing. Anything lower than "81 setting" the heater will only heat up to about 35% so it will feel like it is not blowing hot air but it actually is.

That is the most pathetic response I’ve ever seen; they didn’t even understand what the issue was. Hoping they can fix it! Let me know what it is. One thing I noticed is that this failure seems to be intermittent, which could mean that either it’s a loose cable or some software process crashing.
My 2018 MX has the same issue - it started showing up in Sept. When a new S/W release came out it resolves itself for a while but then it occurred again on 40.50.2. We upgraded to 40.50.7 last night and it worked once but then I went to turn it on when leaving the ski hill and back to “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault”. We are taking to SC on the 14th as nothing available nearby that is earlier. Anyone that has already talked to an SC should tweet Elon wrt the unacceptable response - I have seen him respond multiple times.

2016 Model X and I too have this issue. I noticed it at some point in Nov and did a reboot. Seemed to fix the app issue, where I could not remotely turn on climate AND it seemed to not blow any hot air, but then it was ok.

On 12/31 the same issue occurred, unable to turn on Climate from app and I then went to the car. I noticed little to no hot air and saw that I was unable to keep the climate on and saw the same screen shot that @Skipdd posted abpve. I tried a reboot again, but still having issues. Service appoint scheduled for 1/26... Wow... that is a while to have HVAC issues during winter in Chicago-land.

If it repeats make a "bug report" to time stamp it and contact your service center. Make sure they look at the data around that time. It should show what is going on.

Oh yeah, and remember, this is not as much a "smart" car as it is a cell phone with wheels. Don't expect it to work any better.

West Los Angeles service center fixed my heater after having the car for a week. They had to replace the entire heater core. Not sure why they would have to do that on a 10-day old brand new car. It works now. BTW, the Service Center experience was awful. No one called me with any kind of status update, and the app didn't update either. No one answered the phone or called me back when I left a message. I only knew what was going on by showing up at the Service Center in person. And they forgot to extend the Uber credits after they expired the first time. Overall just felt completely forgotten. And this is for taking in a brand new car I just picked up less than 3 weeks earlier. Really disappointed and dismayed. (I will post about the leaking rear trunk on that thread.)

At my wit’s end with this.

Last month, vehicle experienced “rattling” from behind glovebox when activating heating/cooling system. Climate otherwise worked well. Took to service center and got the rattling fixed.

However, since that time, my climate system barely works. If I set it to anything but hi or low, auto sits the fan at 5 or 6 (barely felt through the vents) and uses the head and feet vents. I set the vehicle to 80 degrees and while the app reported it was at 84 degrees inside, a thermometer I placed in the vehicle said it was just over 60. If I set it to hi or low (or manual and jack the fan up to 11), it does heat/cool, but again, after 10 minutes of that, my thermometer reported about 70 degrees while the app reported 82. Basically everything between hi and low feels like the same temp-lukewarm.

The thermometer temps felt more accurate to what I felt like the temps were.

On top of that I can no longer use the temperature maintain function (dog mode etc) or turn on climate from the app. Trying from the app gets “failed to turn on climate.” Trying from within the car says “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault.”

Took vehicle to service center (80 minutes away) on Tuesday with these complaints, and get it back today and told “nothing is wrong” even though the vehicle was reporting errors when they ran diagnostics.

I’ve seen on at least one forum someone reported this exact issue, but no one seemed to know the cause or what the SC did to fix it, if anything. I’ve tried hard rebooting.

I’m really frustrated at this point and looking into lemon law options if they continue to fail to repair this issue. But I’m hoping someone here has had this issue and got it fixed and can share what the sc did to fix it.

(My very amateur guess is its a temperature sensor failure. My app will read the car as being 84 degrees when the interior is actually mid 60s-70 per a thermometer placed in my vehicle, and just being in the car and knowing it is not 84 degrees. If the temperature sensor is not working correctly, it would make sense that climate keeper can't keep the accurate temp).

Have you gotten resolution? I have been witnessing the same issues on my car. Noticed it with remote climate failing for weeks. Then, I saw that climate keeper showed a “system fault”.
I’d mentioned this to SC when I brought my car during the holidays but they apparently didn’t do a thing about it. I’m afraid I’ll have to schedule a new appointment...

Just experienced this for the first time this morning. Couldn't turn on heat remotely with app. Still can't, but drove 15 miles to work with no issues. Didn't use nav. My car turned on when I opened the door, but when I got in and closed the door it turned off and I couldn't get it to turn on until I opened the door again. Rebooted it a couple of times, but it was still acting up. This is the first weird glitch I've experienced with my Model S in 37,000 miles. It's been over a month since I received any updates. I'll give service a call after they open.

00D739BA-D24F-4621-B099-A7CBFB87F669.png
8FA6254A-2C8D-4076-9D0A-58C197B6AF9E.jpeg

Last edited:
Just experienced this for the first time this morning. Couldn't turn on heat remotely with app. Still can't, but drove 15 miles to work with no issues. Didn't use nav. My car turned on when I opened the door, but when I got in and closed the door it turned off and I couldn't get it to turn on until I opened the door again. Rebooted it a couple of times, but it was still acting up. This is the first weird glitch I've experienced with my Model S in 37,000 miles. It's been over a month since I received any updates. I'll give service a call after they open.

View attachment 502771 View attachment 502770
Yup had same issue on climate, but not the car turning off. Happened twice. In both cases visiting superchargers fixed it, or maybe that is just correlation but not cause. Haven’t gotten to Service yet, but its now scheduled for early Feb..

Problem recurred this morning. Outside temperature was 16 deg F. Inside of car (in garage) temp was 49. Stopped by Tesla Service Center, and asked them to pull logs for my upcoming appt. Showed the SA the error message. Once the car warmed up some, the remote climate feature worked again. It appears to be related to how cold the battery is, because when climate is unavailable, there is almost no regen available. When regen was more available but still limited, pre-heat returned.

Problem recurred this morning. Outside temperature was 16 deg F. Inside of car (in garage) temp was 49. Stopped by Tesla Service Center, and asked them to pull logs for my upcoming appt. Showed the SA the error message. Once the car warmed up some, the remote climate feature worked again. It appears to be related to how cold the battery is, because when climate is unavailable, there is almost no regen available. When regen was more available but still limited, pre-heat returned.
Mine was parked outside in 45° F, unplugged for three days. It’s normally parked inside and plugged in.

Once again, got the "Climate - Failed to turn on climate message". Vehicle interior temperature at 15 degrees Celsius (roughly 50F). Vehicle connected to Tesla wall charger - working properly as vehicle recharged approximately 20 kWh overnight. Battery temperature should be irrelevant under these circumstances. Worked fine in the past but current 2019.40.2.1 software seems to have a problem. I have also seen the climate keeper problem as reported by Electroman. Vehicle is a 2017 S100D.

Once again, got the "Climate - Failed to turn on climate message". Vehicle interior temperature at 15 degrees Celsius (roughly 50F). Vehicle connected to Tesla wall charger - working properly as vehicle recharged approximately 20 kWh overnight. Battery temperature should be irrelevant under these circumstances. Worked fine in the past but current 2019.40.2.1 software seems to have a problem. I have also seen the climate keeper problem as reported by Electroman. Vehicle is a 2017 S100D.
I'm so glad you didn't put @Electroman. He's mad I took his name and made it cooler than his /s.

@⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Just testing something.

By way of update:

I've had it at service center twice for this issue (~17 days total in repairs). Reoccurred again the other day.

I've hired a Lemon Law attorney.

Taking it into the service center again this morning.