Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme Temperature Sensor Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue, but last night I noticed my outside temperature was reporting up to 170f. Since the outside temp was so high, the heat wasn't working like it should have.

Fast forward to today, and now it's the complete opposite but now the auto defogger won't turn off unless I set climate to manual since it thinks it's freezing inside the car. It's currently like 45 degrees outside.

Tried rebooting the car and resetting with the knobs, but doesn't change it.

IMG_3692.jpg
IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3705.PNG

I was unable to get a service appointment until the middle of January which is just super frustrating because I would hate to not have heat if the temp sensor decides to go to 150f again.

Version: 2023.44.30.5.1

Try a full power off reset if you haven’t already — from the manual:
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Erratic outside air temperature readings can be caused by rodents damaging the temperature sensor wiring. The sensor is located behind the front grill louvers where the sensor wiring harness is accessible to mice and other small rodents. Tesla Service should be able to confirm signs of rodent damage.

Yup, there was a rabbit living in the front of the car unbeknownst to me that they found at the service center still alive that had chewed on part of the wiring harness. The frunk stopped being able to be open as well. Needed a new part of the wire harness replaced. Out of warranty due to animal damage unfortunately.

Yup, there was a rabbit living in the front of the car unbeknownst to me that they found at the service center still alive that had chewed on part of the wiring harness. The frunk stopped being able to be open as well. Needed a new part of the wire harness replaced. Out of warranty due to animal damage unfortunately.
Your comprehensive insurance coverage should cover the rodent damage (less your deductible).

Your comprehensive insurance coverage should cover the rodent damage (less your deductible).
Interesting, I'm assuming since it was less than $500 it prob wouldn't be worth pursuing.

Now for the other question, what did they do with the rabbit??
Apparently it escaped in the shop and they haven't caught it for now! I got a picture from the service department of it sitting inside my bumper. Still in shock about it all

• Funny
Reactions: fiehlsport
It has over three years that I have been on TMC I have not once read about rabbits in the Tesla Model Y, until now. First @kentoe's bunny tale and now this.

Rabbit takes up residence in Tesla Model Y

One time, OK sometimes sh^t just happens
Twice, is a coincidence
Three times (or more), hostile enemy action

I think that the squirrels are behind it all.

Last edited: