Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate worse with 2021.36.5.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Climate control seems much worse to me after this update. Does anyone else feel this is way?

"Auto" used to control the fan speed based on the desired temp... but now it seems to keep the fan very low. It also now disables the forward blowing fans and keeps the heat on the floor.

This is really disappointing right before winter. The car no longer keeps me warm. It *seems* like they're attempting to warm up the cabin without blowing the heat at the driver. As the only one in the car, I *want* the heat blowing on me.

Boo hoo.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I have had climate control temperature regulation problems since I got my Y in July 2021. Then 2021.36.5 seemed to fix most of the problems and I was happy, then 2021.36.5.5 came and seemed to make it worse. In my opinion, however, too much air blows on me and I would like to see more directed towards the rest of the cabin. Also, in most cars heat is directed towards the feet typically, not at the face. It is weird to have heat hitting me in the face. Even worse if it's Summer.

Reactions: PatP
One thing we can say for sure is that Tesla is giving some attention to the climate control system in these past two releases, and this is a good thing because it sure needs it. I am optimistic they will be able to improve its performance with SW updates eventually.

Climate control seems much worse to me after this update. Does anyone else feel this is way?

"Auto" used to control the fan speed based on the desired temp... but now it seems to keep the fan very low. It also now disables the forward blowing fans and keeps the heat on the floor.

This is really disappointing right before winter. The car no longer keeps me warm. It *seems* like they're attempting to warm up the cabin without blowing the heat at the driver. As the only one in the car, I *want* the heat blowing on me.

Boo hoo.

I noticed the exact same thing yesterday. I had to double-check to see if the climate was even on because it was not blowing warm air.

Running 2021.36.5.1 here, drove around running errands for well over an hour. I pre-conditioned the car before leaving and the cabin was warmer than my garage, but still cooler than the set temperature. After driving, I felt like I needed to wear a sweatshirt because it was cold in the car. I'm also getting almost no air whatsoever through the dashboard slit, but I hear what I believe is the control motors toggling back and forth inside the dash. This happened to me a couple months ago, too and Tesla said they replaced some of the HVAC components.

Not sure if this is another hardware failure or a software bug, but I've already made a service appointment. Unfortunately, the next appointment at the second closest center is a MONTH away. I'm beyond frustrated at this point.

Have a 2021 september delivered Performance myself, i live in Norway so its starting to get pretty cold here now. My car has been at the service center since last week for a noise related issue, and since then, the temperature has dropped significantly.

When driving home ( -6 celsius / 20 Fahrenheit) , i could not get the cabin to get properly warmed, its not freezing cold, but setting the temp to high did not help and the air coming out of the wents was lukewarm at best. The software driving home was 2021.36.5.5

Coming home i updated to 2021.40.6, but seems like its still the same.

First trip today is seems like its blowing warm air at the first 10 min, before its toggling down the temperature, and its not blowing warm air anymore.
On the second trip today, it was starting with "cold" air (maybe 15-16c inside cabin) and after 10-12min of driving, the heat comes back on, and it gets very hot.

temp today has been around -7c / 19 fahrenheit

Never had any heat problems with my 2019 Performance, i could drive around in my t-shirt even if it was -25c outside while blasting warm air.

I haven't been on the forums in a long time and I'm here because my car is freezing when driving. I have the heated seats on and am cranking the heat at 80+ degrees in auto. Never had to do this before. I hope this gets fixed in the next update. I get it if they are trying to improve winter efficiency but this is not comfortable.

I haven't been on the forums in a long time and I'm here because my car is freezing when driving. I have the heated seats on and am cranking the heat at 80+ degrees in auto. Never had to do this before. I hope this gets fixed in the next update. I get it if they are trying to improve winter efficiency but this is not comfortable.
Contact support, because your issue may not be a software problem. I've had two actuators replaced and a temperature sensor since September. Mark the time you're driving and tell Tesla in your service request what time it happened. They didn't believe me and couldn't figure out the sensor issue until I told them the exact time I was driving.

The software issue I seem to be experiencing on top of all of that means the air blowing out of the vents feels cool, but my cabin is at least close to the temperature set. The hardware issue meant hot or cold air wasn't even making it to the cabin to begin with.

Reactions: PatP

Boo hoo.
Same exact issue. I took screenshots and cited the time to help them diagnose in a service visit in about a week.

I have the heat set to very high (80) and the app shows that the interior temp is only 55. Previously, on auto settings, the fan would blow at full blast until it starts to get closer to the set targte temp of 80.
IMG_3380.PNG

Instead, the fan on Auto is only blowing at fan speed 2 a d only cool air despite the high temp set.
IMG_3381.jpg

I've taken this in for service twice and cited a possible faulty interior cabin temp sensor but they keep telling me there is no issue.

• Informative
Reactions: DrDabbles
It's definitely software related. The service center can't "repair" it, however having *many* customers schedule for service for this might be a good way to get it resolved. I wouldn't mind if the heat changed to this "less direct" method *after* the cabin reaches its target temperature, but when I first get into the cold car, I really want the heat to behave the way it did before.

At this time, I've just resorted to making sure I preheat the car before I get in. Not ideal though.

About a dozen of us attempted this method of flooding them with service requests for the USB system powering off, and it achieved nothing. The service centers aren't communicating with each other, and there's very clearly nobody watching ticket groups to look for these patterns. They claimed that was a software bug, which I believe because they introduced the behavior two years ago now, and that they're working on it as fast as they can. Which means they'll never fix it in Tesla parlance.

Hopefully they sort this HVAC nonsense out, because this is the first year I've had cold feet in this car. Normally it's so hot that you feel like your shoes could light on fire.

I just got a message from a technician that they see my humidity sensor wasn't reporting anything in the logs for my reported time. They are thinking that may need replacement so I'll update here if that ends up resolving any issues. I wasn't sure if it was SW or HW related but this seems to imply it might be HW for me.