Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing the trunk: What were they thinking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My previous lexus IS350 and Audi A4 all in the same price range had the slam dunk trunk...wasn't a biggie then, isnt a biggie now. The M3 is the the luxury/sport category of cars why would it need a motorized trunk latch? If you're comparing a car to a SUV (your MDX) then the model X would be a better comparison, no?

Hehe, I used the trunk for the first time today and had exactly the same thought, it feels and sounds so third world.

I had to stop at the Audi dealership today ... man, properly nice facilities and lots and lots of real cars, with properly-closing trunks and equal-sized gaps around the doors, and real brakes and real gaskets around the glass roofs, and no effin’ rattles...
I feel I just paid 40k for a battery and another 15k for everything else. :)

I’m trying to love the Tesla but I can’t get past “I like it”. Aside from the electric propulsion and some of the electronic gizmos, it’s quite the letdown. It’s such a shame because it has the potential to be a much much better car. I wish they could focus on refinement for a change, once the current fires are put out.

This is what happens when you actively look for things to dislike with it, which is the general vibe you give with every post that you make.

This is what happens when you actively look for things to dislike with it, which is the general vibe you give with every post that you make.

Why yes, that IS the vibe. I'm not looking for things to dislike, I just passively experience them as I'm getting acquainted with the car and the ownership. As one of those product development geeks, I generally don't have much interest in what works well but rather in what doesn't and how it can be made better. It's the interest in and the appreciation for Tesla's product that makes me spend time here.

And I actually did have a Daewoo too and the trunk sounded a lot like the Model 3's. :)

• Funny
Reactions: forkee
It's hard to design a car that's better than every other car in every way. Yet...

My Model 3 experience:
-far more efficient than almost any car on the road
-yet fast, cars this fast usually have awful MPG
-superb cargo room for its size
-superb passenger space for its size
-superb sound system
-handles great/pleasure to drive
-thing does the awful driving for me!
-lower general maintenance
-doesn't look like a POS (I'm looking at you BMW i3), in fact I like it more now than before I got it.
-very positive long term environmental impact, especially charging off 100% renewables

I look at this list and think, "I'll just accept having to the slam the damn trunk!"

It's hard to design a car that's better than every other car in every way. Yet...

My Model 3 experience:
-far more efficient than almost any car on the road
-yet fast, cars this fast usually have awful MPG
-superb cargo room for its size
-superb passenger space for its size
-superb sound system
-handles great/pleasure to drive
-thing does the awful driving for me!
-lower general maintenance
-doesn't look like a POS (I'm looking at you BMW i3), in fact I like it more now than before I got it.
-very positive long term environmental impact, especially charging off 100% renewables

I look at this list and think, "I'll just accept having to the slam the damn trunk!"

and there we have it folks

Reactions: shrspeedblade
Make a loose fist over the top of the emblem, put your other palm over it and lean gently in to shut. Greatly improved how I feel about using the frunk.

i do open palm (but then again mine's matte instead of glossy)

Proper-CPR-technique.jpeg

stayin' alive...stayin' alive

Reactions: dendenyc
Mine is really hard to close. It's like doing a pull down rep. I can live with it though.

It's the "I'm afraid I'll bend it" frunk that bugs me. I don't use the frunk anymore because of that (and the fact that it often has dirt/bugs on it from driving whereas the trunk doesn't have that problem). It's like my old BMW's moonroof and windows. I never opened the moonroof on that car more than 3 times the entire time I owned it. Cuz it broke the 2nd time I ever opened it. Went through two or three window regulators too. So yeah, I also find it amusing when people compare it to a BMW. The Germans have their issues too. This is a first attempt by Tesla, so I understand some refinement will be lacking. I still bought another BMW even though I was afraid to open windows on my last one. I still love my Model 3 even if there are some rough edges to it. I didn't buy the car cuz it had a frunk.

Answer has already been given. If you are the involves pushing beyond good-enough type of guy, you can simply install the $800 aftermarket auto close gadget.

Seriously though, it may resolve itself. The frunk on my X was hard to close for a while, but after the gaskets got broken in it now closes easlly. If your trunk is hard to pull down, the link shows where a couple well placed drops of oil will make it easy.

The car chassis was not designed to a $50,000 price point. It was designed to be produced and sold at a profit for only $35,000. Maybe that is why it does not have a self closer. Even the mighty Model S had a manual pull down hatch, unless you stepped up and ordered the premium package with auto close.

We are still pioneers in these Electric Vehicles. We need to be just a little self reliant and resiliant to the little things, while we enjoy the real reason we buy the cars. No urban pollution, instant throttle response, smoothe transmission, great handling, good ride, quiet interior and most of all weening the world off burning hydrocarbons and making city dwellers ill from the exhausts.

I imagine that later editions of the cars will offer self closing trunks, but until then we will just need to suffer with the manual latch.

Hehe, I used the trunk for the first time today and had exactly the same thought, it feels and sounds so third world.

I had to stop at the Audi dealership today ... man, properly nice facilities and lots and lots of real cars, with properly-closing trunks and equal-sized gaps around the doors, and real brakes and real gaskets around the glass roofs, and no effin’ rattles...
I feel I just paid 40k for a battery and another 15k for everything else. :)

I’m trying to love the Tesla but I can’t get past “I like it”. Aside from the electric propulsion and some of the electronic gizmos, it’s quite the letdown. It’s such a shame because it has the potential to be a much much better car. I wish they could focus on refinement for a change, once the current fires are put out.
Yeah Audis re so great. I almost bit the bullet only to realize that Audi in NA does not have a brake hold feature. I can live with an unsophisticated trunk latch on my Tesla but not without the brakehold on an Audi. So thanks but no thanks.

My trunk closes fine with no issues just takes some time for the seals to relax.
Of course if you want to express something as trivial as the trunk lid closing in hyperbole please go right ahead, I’ll be out there driving an awesome car and loving every minute.
Hang on, the sound the paint makes when it’s drying is excruciatingly painful.
Nope, I’m still out enjoying driving my car.
Its all about what you are use to. If you come from a car with an equally crappy trunk mechanism then you won't notice a problem but for example my 1999 Lexus had a far superior trunk system. It closes with ease. It has a nice handle underneath to help you pull down without having to touch the outside and get dirty. And the close sound is tight and expensive sounding with no rattles. It inspires something sturdy and long lasting. Sure enough it lasted till today and closes like when it was new. That was a good design conceived in the last century. The Model 3 is a cheep toy comparatively. Every time I close it I keep thinking this is not going to last long. And the frunk is even worse. I won't even open that in fear I am going to bend the hood. And yes I know how to do it without bending the hood but it not worth the mental fatigue.

Last edited:
Its all about what you are use to. If you come from a car with an equally crappy trunk mechanism then you won't notice a problem but for example my 1999 Lexus had a far superior trunk system. It closes with ease. It has a nice handle underneath to help you pull down without having to touch the outside and get dirty. And the close sound is tight and expensive sounding with no rattles. It inspires something sturdy and long lasting. Sure enough it lasted till today and closes like when it was new. That was a good design conceived in the last century. The Model 3 is a cheep toy comparatively. Every time I close it I keep thinking this is not going to last long. And the frunk is even worse. I won't even open that in fear I am going to bend the hood. And yes I know how to do it without bending the hood but it not worth the mental fatigue.
My four month old Model 3 trunk now closes with one finger, no issues.
As with all things new it takes getting used to.