Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk soft close?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried searching and couldn't find anything definitive.

I have a '22 M3P, wondering how the power trunk is supposed to work? Mine just lowers and closes in one motion, it doesn't slam against the bumper but makes a rather loud but solid noise. I've seen others where the trunk closes with a slight gap then the soft close latch closes it completely.

Is this something that can be adjusted with the small rubber pieces on the trunk lid? I tried backing those out, it made the soft close mechanism work but it also resulted in slight gaps on the sides.

Tried searching and couldn't find anything definitive.

I have a '22 M3P, wondering how the power trunk is supposed to work? Mine just lowers and closes in one motion, it doesn't slam against the bumper but makes a rather loud but solid noise. I've seen others where the trunk closes with a slight gap then the soft close latch closes it completely.

Is this something that can be adjusted with the small rubber pieces on the trunk lid? I tried backing those out, it made the soft close mechanism work but it also resulted in slight gaps on the sides.
I have a 2021 and AFAIK, there is no soft close mechanism. Mine just closes in one go and then latch closes, but don't think it works like a true soft close where there is actually a mechanism in the latch that pulls the trunk in.

Maybe you saw an aftermarket one with the soft close function?

Note even for those with soft close, supposedly it only works when all the windows and doors are closed completely. May have to do with the pressure difference (with them all closed, it provides some resistance, so the trunk doesn't slam down as hard).

I don’t think it’s a true soft close, but there’s something there that’s locking in the latch. If I lower the trunk manually and go very slow when the latch makes contact, I can hear/see the mechanism pulls in the trunk lid with the usual “soft close” mechanism sound.