TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CNN's Favorite Cars of 2013

Discussion in 'News' started by wormhole, Dec 28, 2013.

1. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

Wow! The level of ignorant vitriol in the comments to this CNN article is kind of amazing!

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

That's why it's a wasted effort to post anything on those kinds of public sites. They always remind me of H.L. Mencken's quip, "No one in this world, so far as I know - and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me - has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

3. tigerade

tigerade Member

I strongly disagree. Fighting against public ignorance, in general, is the right move. Like it or not, it's our problem. Remember that it's not just one ignorant person that's a problem, but millions. So therefore, they have an impact on our political system as they vote, and they influence the market with their decisions, which of course has an impact on all of us. I would argue that we should do everything possible to push back against public ignorance, as a well informed public can make decisions that chart us on a better course for the future.

4. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I agree with you. If we don't correct the BS these guys post with correct and factual information (or counterpoints to their anti-Tesla opinion pieces) it will lead to the general public thinking that those viewpoints are facts and hurt the growth of the company). I am not a shareholder but I feel a real need for this company to thrive and gain meaningful market share.

5. Bearman

Bearman Member

Yup, I hate it as much as anyone but you just have to keep setting the facts straight. Nothing weighs higher in my experience when someone who actually owns the car tells it like it is.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    ― Mark Twain

On the internet the point is not to convince the fool but others reading the comments and thats why its still makes sense.

6. wormhole

wormhole Banned

Wow...i posted this because here was a positive review of the car and the focus is on the comments rather than the article/blurb itself. The car speaks for itself. Check out the comments on just about any CNN article (or article on the internet), trolls, vitriol, its a fact of life on the internet...why focus on that rather than a major publication making yet another positive comment about the car.

7. jeffhre

jeffhre Member

..I would expect two results from this course of action;

1. Nothing from the great masses,

2. Perhaps enough information for the 1 or 2% sitting on the fence to come to an intelligent decision.

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

It was just another article whining about what a great car the Model S is. We on the forum have heard that all before. It's just much more interesting to wade in for some good old-fashioned mud-slinging. :wink:

9. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Then I would consider it a worthwhile effort. ;)

10. richkae

richkae VIN587

While it is best to never attribute something to malice that can be explained by stupidity, I have often wondered how many of the internet comments are from trolls for hire or are troll bots.