Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold battery, limited acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2014 P85D. Had it in for service and got a RWD Model S 60 as a loaner.

I noticed the 60 battery never got cold or limited my regenerative braking or acceleration, even on a cold night without being plugged in.

But my P85D battery seems to get cold way easier. Even plugged into 110v to keep battery warm, it still limits my regenerative braking after any night below ~45F, and takes a long time to warm up.

It just seems like other Model S I drive don't get or stay cold as easily. Is this normal?

I have a '15 P90D and living in Wisconsin, I see very similar cold battery functionality. I usually turn on the climate control about 15-20 minutes before I am going to drive and I will have partial regenerative when I get in but it can still take 15-20 minutes of driving before the yellow 'slashes' disappear in the energy indicator window and I have full regenerative braking. The colder it is the longer it takes...

Reactions: Galve2000
I actually have never driven a non P model, but your theory may be correct. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has similar or different experiences.

We've been below freezing for several days/nights in a row recently. My P85+ shows a 75kw power limit and 0 regen every morning. :( Preheating helps. Gotta clean out the garage bay so I can put the car away.

After v9 was installed i get the orange regen line just about everyday now. And that is with over 100 miles left to charge on battery.
I live in Florida , not cold here, worse was 40 last week.
I showed service center techie, he just shrugged it off.
I got the line at top range, dont accelerate to fast several times.
V9 is horrible. To say the least. I'm mad as hell. Never had any problems before v9.

Tesla plays it safe with their battery and that may be the reason why their degradation is so mild compared to other EV. Some of that may limit regen or more rarely peak power under adverse conditions, but it is a compromise they make to keep our batteries healthy. Without that we may have batteries that degrade like an typical laptop or Nissan Leaf. 40F is for sure cold enough to limit regen, I don’t think full regen is reached till maybe 55F.

After v9 was installed i get the orange regen line just about everyday now. And that is with over 100 miles left to charge on battery.
I live in Florida , not cold here, worse was 40 last week.
I showed service center techie, he just shrugged it off.
I got the line at top range, dont accelerate to fast several times.
V9 is horrible. To say the least. I'm mad as hell. Never had any problems before v9.
It's not a v9 issue. I saw regren limits on 40F fall/spring mornings since I first got the car with v8.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I know the title is about limited acceleration but my questions is about regen since someone else brought it up.

I live in MI and we have had 20s &30s for average temps. Car is in a partially heated garage so about 50F. Every time I have driven it, it has the yellow bars. I noticed it would first limit about 50, but now that outside temps are in the teens, it won't regen at all (bars all the way to 0).

Before the real low temps, I have driven multiple times for 25 minutes at 75MPH but it still shows the 'no gen' bars @50, and that means at the SC I only see about 35kW charging for the entire session (usually don't go below 70 miles and stop at around 180 miles) :-( Tomorrow will be the first time I will do that drive with the temp at about 5F. Will be interesting to see what it shows after 25 minutes of driving and at the SC.

I would have thought that charging cold was good, not bad for the battery. Our Volt has never limited regen when cold unless it just finished charging to 100%...

Cold batteries don't "supercharge". It can take 15-30 minutes to get much higher than 1-30kw, if you pull up with a car at 5 degrees F, without having driven.

The PD cars, with Max Battery show a time to fully warm, that can take more than an hour with, I assume, the aux heater cranked. It is a nice tool, just to know time-until-warm which tells just how cold the battery is and how limited power will be.

(Vbox?) Data collected on PxxD state of charge and ambient temps always showed more pronounced down slopes, when low. Add to this the fact P85D is the rare car experiencing battery, not more typical motor, limits and you also have some kw roll-off that is a tiny bit worse at 40-60mph.

I wouldn't dispute our P85D's kw output may be one of Tesla's most sensitive cars to temperature and SOC.

Reactions: eyedrop
Hey guys new here, just bought a 2021 TM3LR, the car is a beast, best car ever! I have a question about cold weather and first getting in a cold car, is it bad for the battery, any negative effects on the battery, battery degradation if I accelerate hard if it is freezing out.

Hey guys new here, just bought a 2021 TM3LR, the car is a beast, best car ever! I have a question about cold weather and first getting in a cold car, is it bad for the battery, any negative effects on the battery, battery degradation if I accelerate hard if it is freezing out.
The will limit charge (regen) and discharge (acceleration) as needed to protect the battery. So, no, it's fine. The car won't draw enough current to damage the battery. But if it's cold out, expect such protection to limit your acceleration until the battery warms.