Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather inflatable bed auxillary battery heater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen several threads on the effects of cold weather on battery dynamics and had an idea: If I were faced with severe cold weather and wanted to maximize both the longevity of the battery and availability of regenerative braking the goal would be to maintain the optimum battery temperature with as little energy consumption as possible (while minimizing user interaction).

I propose the inflatable portable bed. The basic premise is to insulate the large flat surface of the bottom of the battery with an inflatable mattress with minimal user interaction. I envision daily usage would be to drive over the deflated mattress. Have it auto-inflate such that it presses against the bottom of the battery, therefore preventing air movement under the battery.

This could be (relatively) easily automated with an electric fan and valve? Deflation before the car is moved would be required but I wouldn’t imagine it taking longer than opening a garage door before the mattress is deflated enough to clear the bottom of the car. Increasing the deflation rate could be accomplished by either weighting the top surface of the bed(Sand?) or using a second exhaust fan (BTW: cheap centrifugal fans used to inflate mattresses don’t move air in reverse when spinning in reverse, air still moves forward just less efficiently).
Auxiliary battery pre-heat or minimum maintenance heat could be a thermostat controlled electric blanket on top of the mattress that would get sandwiched against the battery bottom plate when the mattress is inflated. I have not seen anyone suggest (or attempt) this and wanted to get the idea out there.

A cold weather emergency kit (camping kit?, cold weather mothball kit?) could include an inflatable mattress (air bag) to place under the car to extend the time the battery becomes cold soaked. I imagine a camping kit would also include insulated window covers, etc… Any thoughts on this?

Of course this would not be useful to those of you with heated garages unless saving energy was a goal. Also as some random guy on the internet with

It's not going to make a difference and it is going to be extremely expensive to operate.

It also won't work, because there is a complete undercover under the car. It won't even touch the battery.

And most of the discussion about the cold is paranoia and people fixing problems that aren't as big as they make them. Regen for example. There is absolutely nothing wrong when the regen dots come on. It's just an indication that limited regen is available. The car will still drive, the car still works perfectly, the battery is not being harmed. It's just an indicator.

The two potentially very beneficial use cases I see are 1. places where engine block heaters are considered if not mandatory then highly recommended or 2. cold weather car camping.

Background: I have over 15k miles on my year old model3, it is not just the daily driver but has become the family road trip car. I have taken it all over NC: snow skiing as well as beach vacation. And have never had it in a service center... which is not a good thing since I should have rotated my tires front to back 6k ago. But yea best car ever. This is just me sharing a what would I explore if I lived somewhere colder as one who likes to tinker. I in no way have a problem as the car just works in all scenarios I have had so far. That being said:

As I under stand the thermo: most of the heat of a cold soaked battery is lost through direct air transfer through the bottom plate of the battery? So to use stored battery energy in a very cold weather scenario the battery would have to expend extra energy heating itself and heat the cabin. Once inflated a portable mattress (airbag) pressing directly against the bottom plate would be a giant insulator consuming no additional energy just the initial inflation energy (~20W fan ~5-10 minutes to inflate a mattress so so <3Wh or <0.003kWh) From a car camping perspective this could afford significant advantages. From a daily driver or long term storage perspective it would definitely be less energy usage than heating an entire garage and should cut down on parasitic maintenance charging as well. In an emergency "car stuck in a blizzard" situation I know I would be packing snow under the edges of my tesla to create an insulating air pocket under there (not recommended for an ICE car).

As I under stand the thermo: most of the heat of a cold soaked battery is lost through direct air transfer through the bottom plate of the battery? So to use stored battery energy in a very cold weather scenario the battery would have to expend extra energy heating itself and heat the cabin. Once inflated a portable mattress (airbag) pressing directly against the bottom plate would be a giant insulator consuming no additional energy just the initial inflation energy (~20W fan ~5-10 minutes to inflate a mattress so so <3Wh or <0.003kWh) From a car camping perspective this could afford significant advantages. From a daily driver or long term storage perspective it would definitely be less energy usage than heating an entire garage and should cut down on parasitic maintenance charging as well. In an emergency "car stuck in a blizzard" situation I know I would be packing snow under the edges of my tesla to create an insulating air pocket under there (not recommended for an ICE car).

There already is an insulator under the battery. Take a look under the car, it's all black, no aluminum battery seen. There's an air gap above this.

Putting an airbag under the car would stop the air flow, but that's about it (and that could be done with just curtains), unless the air was heated. The amount of energy needed to heat the battery from the outside is pretty expensive.

I was pretty sure Tesla has thermal battery management system that protects the battery temp from both hot and cold scenarios. Our 7 year old Nissan Leaf only has cabin air for cooling and a last resort -5F main battery heater to put the batteries on life support. Chicago gets to -27F and we park outside, no garage.

Back to Tesla - if its plugged into the L2 home EVSE then the Tesla will keep the battery pack at some set point (above freezing) to that it does not get "out of spec" cold? 5-15 degrees F in a Leaf hits you 40% -50% range and then you have to stay alive to make it home on almost zero heat.

I just read this OPs posts in this thread as "An engineer (or someone with engineering tendancies) brainstorming". People have already posted about why this or that wont work, which is all well and good, but I think the OP is simply brainstorming among other tesla fans.

OP are you an engineer by trade?

While I don’t think it will work, inflatable mattresses are available with a built in fan, that reverses so it will suck all of the air out a little bit faster than it inflates.
As a Retired Army guy I have slept on an inflatable air mattress, there is NO insulation in the cold.
Nothing wrong with brainstorming