Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather testing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
more of an engineer error! Maybe Tesla should sent a team up here to live with real winters... and don't park your car in a garage.
You can disagree all you want but there's no need for additional engineering if people won't do their due diligence in removing the ice near the windows and lubricating their seals. How would you fix it?
If people don't clean the cameras off, how can you fix autopilot?
If people don't keep air in their tires how would you fix that?
...and are your fixes permanent?

You cannot simply keep adding more power to the windows. You also cannot have the window automatically drop lower due to safety regulations.

It's the nature of frameless car doors to act this way during the short-drop. Cars from BMW and Mercedes with similar frameless doors do the same thing. The Internet is littered with examples and fixes.
Owners must lubricate the rubber seals for it to continue to work properly and for it not to freeze up. On the extreme some people cover their door or even just that part of the lower seal overnight.

If you wake up and your car looks like this, then you have other problems to worry about:
CYg8oBLWkAAeC96.png

15 minutes of preheating is not going to cut it. ;)

Autopilot would also be out of commision, but that wouldn't disqualify it from being self-driving altogether, just not in this situation.

You can disagree all you want but there's no need for additional engineering if people won't do their due diligence in removing the ice near the windows and lubricating their seals. How would you fix it?
If people don't clean the cameras off, how can you fix autopilot?
If people don't keep air in their tires how would you fix that?
...and are your fixes permanent?

You cannot simply keep adding more power to the windows. You also cannot have the window automatically drop lower due to safety regulations.

It's the nature of frameless car doors to act this way during the short-drop. Cars from BMW and Mercedes with similar frameless doors do the same thing. The Internet is littered with examples and fixes.
Owners must lubricate the rubber seals for it to continue to work properly and for it not to freeze up. On the extreme some people cover their door or even just that part of the lower seal overnight.

If you wake up and your car looks like this, then you have other problems to worry about:
CYg8oBLWkAAeC96.png

Autopilot would also be out of commision, but that wouldn't disqualify it from being self-driving altogether, just not in this situation.

What are the advantages of a frameless window then?? I had numerous cars before my Model S, all with frame around window's doors. Never had problem during winters.... except with the Tesla...
KISS ... Keep It Simple S... no?

I have had several cars with frameless doors and disliked the feature on each car. From my Pontiac , supra to my Subaru wrx to my bmw i3, they always bother me . Loose glass and or glass that freezes up in winter or leaks wind at highway speed.
What bothers me most is that the integrity of the side of the car is reduced in my opinion over a full framed door.
Given a good side impact I'd much rather have that full fram door between me and the bumper of the car hitting me.

Reactions: ccharleb
Frameless windows are very good for keeping profiles on the doors slim, also make the door lighter.
I have had many cars with frameless windows and never had any issues in 10+ years of ownership. The only time I had an issue was when the battery died and I had to open the door to boost it, so once in 10 years is pretty good.

PS - I live in Canada and my cars are often outside for extended periods of time in freezing cold -30 temps and +35 temps in the summer

In addition to the weight savings, it's also about aesthetics and when combined with the all glass roof will give a sense of openness.

This is why you find them on fast luxury cars such as the
  • Mercedes AMG CLS63 S Coupe
  • Mercedes-Benz AMG S65 AMG S65 RWD Coupe
  • Audi R8
  • Aston Martin Rapide S
  • Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
  • Maserati Quattroporte GTS
  • Jaguar F-TYPE SVR AWD coupe
  • Rolls-Royce Wraith

I'd say the Model 3 is in pretty good company with frameless doors. I'm sorry some people dislike them so much, but I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

CYg8oBLWkAAeC96.png

No, not at all. Were it self-driving it would have gotten the &^%$# outta Dodge City long since!

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
Frameless windows are very good for keeping profiles on the doors slim, also make the door lighter.
I have had many cars with frameless windows and never had any issues in 10+ years of ownership. The only time I had an issue was when the battery died and I had to open the door to boost it, so once in 10 years is pretty good.

PS - I live in Canada and my cars are often outside for extended periods of time in freezing cold -30 temps and +35 temps in the summer

Maybe it's less humid in Calgary then Montreal, I don't know. I would really really like to enjoy the frameless windows... but it's just not ALWAYS working right. Most of the time, it's ok, but sometimes, no.

This is a Tesla Model 3 thread, not the Leaf thread.
I know this is a tesla model 3 thread, the point of this post is that we should be seeing model 3 winter testing occurring if we are to be sure model 3 production will occur soon.
My point in posting images and info on other cars in winter testing is to show / point out the timeline on a new model development and rollout

Any vehicle bound for production needs winter testing before it's sold and the the time is now for model 3 winter tests
Hopefully the recent news of a few cars being built at the end of this month they are going to be used for such tests.

Any vehicle bound for production needs winter testing before it's sold and the the time is now for model 3 winter tests
Actually, the time for real winter testing of the Model 3 was last winter - before it was "pencils down".

If they test it this winter, they may still have time for some small adjustments, but no big changes if that is required without a risk of delaying the production.

I know this is a tesla model 3 thread, the point of this post is that we should be seeing model 3 winter testing occurring if we are to be sure model 3 production will occur soon.
My point in posting images and info on other cars in winter testing is to show / point out the timeline on a new model development and rollout

Hopefully the recent news of a few cars being built at the end of this month they are going to be used for such tests.

Also there's nothing in that picture that's winter testing. There's no snow. If they want to winter test, test it somewhere where there's a metre of snow on the ground and a couple of cm of ice on the roads. Like say, here. That "winter testing" in that picture may as well be being done in California.

Keep in mind they can do winter testing any time of year because there's always winter like conditions somewhere on Earth. There are many better places to do winter testing than in the US. The US might be more convenient though. This doesn't mean they've never tested on a private track somewhere away from prying eyes.

Agree with al, the comments , let's hope they have done it and or do it in time to make any necessary changes before the start of production on the cars we will be getting.

Can't wait for my 3 I'm having EV withdrawal symptoms stuck driving my hybrid since I turned in my i3.

in suburban Boston, it's currently snowing its @ss off......

If the rumors of Tesla building ~300 "pilot models" later this month are true:

Tesla Model 3 Will Begin Pilot Production On February 20

then they will have plenty of time to send a few off for cold weather testing. those might be some of the 1st ones churned out. I'd say start looking for Model 3 "pilots" (betas? pre-prod mules?) in cold weather areas the 1st week of March.