Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colder weather acceleration impact?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For maximum acceleration, the following need to be met: high SOC, warm (enough) battery and sufficient traction. Cold ambient temps will limit the tire traction, especially the summer PS4S tires, and require that *the battery* be warmed up enough to be able to produce the power required. I do not know what minimum battery temperature is required but hotter is better.

For maximum acceleration, the following need to be met: high SOC, warm (enough) battery and sufficient traction. Cold ambient temps will limit the tire traction, especially the summer PS4S tires, and require that *the battery* be warmed up enough to be able to produce the power required. I do not know what minimum battery temperature is required but hotter is better.
I think the model 3 doesn't have much power reduction from a colder battery, the power demand is reasonably lower than max battery output power altough a warmer battery has less resistance, so it should perform slightly better when warm.

What's warm enough for the battery? If I have dots showing limited regen, would my power be limited too?

Quick question...

Would extreme cold weather have any impact on the cars ability to hit max acceleration? Assume the battery is fully charged therefore a consistant SOC. Would the M3D still hit 4.3 0 to 60 in say 10F?

It won't be at max capacity, just as the cat has to be fully charged for best performance.

Think of it this way. How well can you perform at that temp?

What's warm enough for the battery? If I have dots showing limited regen, would my power be limited too?
I don't know. The dots show a battery input limit. To my knowledge, it doesn't "dot" on the right side to show a limit in power output. However, that may just mean that the software isn't limiting power. I understand that colder batteries cannot produce as much power due to lower voltage from increased internal resistance. The software may increase amperage to compensate for a cold battery to maintain the same power output.

Interesting question and asked just in time for my first test of my new VBox in about 40 degree weather with all-season Michelins on the car. I went out to a local secondary road, turned the VBox on, and stepped on it. My 0-60 run was 3.51 secs and I really didn't even try very hard. With the Michelin Pilot Sports on the car, warmer weather, and a more proactive start, I expect to cut that time several tenths of a second or more to 3.2 or so.

I'm wondering if the warm battery is what helps... Sometimes I notice a bit of an extra zip and I can't tell what it is... I keep my SOC pretty high most times. I think it's when I come off a charge and the battery has been warm.
When I was trying 0-60 mph runs with a high state of charge it took a few times before the battery was truly warm enough for a 3.5 (3.3) second run.

Hey guys new here, just bought a 2021 TM3LR, the car is a beast, best car ever! I have a question about cold weather and first getting in a cold car, is it bad for the battery, any negative effects on the battery, battery degradation if I accelerate hard if it is freezing out.