Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision avoidance (steering) without AP engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I was driving about 70 mph on the freeway, farthest left lane, with no Autopilot and no TACC engaged, just me in full control of the car, when I hear this motorcycle approaching at high speed and when it was about to overtake me from the right, I get this loud beep AND my steering wheel jerked slightly to the left, as to avoid the motorcycle hitting me from the right. I’m not sure if I’m missing something here, but I thought this functionality (steering to avoid collision) was only available when Autopilot is on? This definitely caught me by surprise and I had this huge smile knowing how safe these cars really are.

Model S P100D, May 2018, MCU 2, 2019.12.1.2.

I’ve had my model S take some evasive action without AP engaged.

Once was on the motorway. An articulated vehicle ‘waved’ over its line marker just as I got partway alongside it. The model S moved to avoid it.

I’ve had a similar motorcycle event to the OP’s.

And most recently when I was driving on a typical urban contraflow road. I’d straddled the centre line to give more room passing a car partially pulled-out that was waiting to join traffic from a side road. An oncoming car moved towards the centre line. The model S beeped like crazy and told me I was leaving my lane and ‘grabbed’ the wheel to return me to my side of the road. Reasonable, but unnerving as it brought me closer to the obstacle I’d attempted to avoid.

Nice to see that the car has a more conservative view of safety sometimes. Now, if only it would slow down for corners a bit more often.