Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color Match for MC Red Paint Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was read-ended recently while sitting at a stoplight, and was left with a few cosmetic scrapes on the rear bumper and took to car to a Tesla-approved body shop for repair.

In short, the shop had difficulties matching the repainted bumper the the rest of the car, and is stating that they will not be able to produce an exact match. I am hoping to get some feedback from the forum to see if anyone has had good results (perfect or near perfect color match) with MC Red paint repairs. If anyone knows of a shop that can pull this off in Southern or Northern California I would be very grateful for the info.

The shop repaired and repainted the area where the scratch was, and blended the color in with the rest of the bumper. When looking at the paint match between the newly painted bumper and the rest of the car I noticed that the bumper was noticeably darker than the rest.

I took the car back to the shop and the spent a few days trying to get a better color match, but ultimately the finished result is that the bumper still does not quite match the rest of the car. It is a lot closer than the first attempt, but not an exact match.

I am hoping somebody has had better results and can recommend a shop.

Hi! Just my 2 cents, because its bumper(plastic) compared to the body(aluminum) Its really never a perfect match even straight from the factory. In the next couple days look at the butt match on bumpers of various cars, even brand new ones. Notice shades are almost always off especially on a pearl paint like your MC red. Its kinda unfortunate but as a detailer with a very discerning eye for these things I've come to accept it on multiple occasions. I tell you this because every time that bumper is re shot with your expectations I know as a body shop I would assume only way to make you happy would be blend the surrounding panels. This will make the color look right because the panel next to was painted with the same paint at the same time... How ever this is an illusion and your replacing your factory paint with aftermarket which is never quite the same. Hope this helps

Hi! Just my 2 cents, because its bumper(plastic) compared to the body(aluminum) Its really never a perfect match even straight from the factory. In the next couple days look at the butt match on bumpers of various cars, even brand new ones. Notice shades are almost always off especially on a pearl paint like your MC red. Its kinda unfortunate but as a detailer with a very discerning eye for these things I've come to accept it on multiple occasions. I tell you this because every time that bumper is re shot with your expectations I know as a body shop I would assume only way to make you happy would be blend the surrounding panels. This will make the color look right because the panel next to was painted with the same paint at the same time... How ever this is an illusion and your replacing your factory paint with aftermarket which is never quite the same. Hope this helps

Agree completely based on my experience with damage to the rear quarter panel and bumper.