Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll speculate on possible siting:

Westminster: Google Maps

Monument: Google Maps

(both Kum&Go locations)

Too bad there's no Kum&Go in Walsenburg, Pueblo, Durango, Cortez, or Alamosa... :)
The Monument Kum & Go is down the road from me. The parking there is small, cramped, and limited. It's difficult to see how they could fit 8 SC pedestals in there.
Other possibilities are the new, and large, Pilot Travel Center at the Baptist Rd interchange with I-25, or the Fairfield Inn at the same interchange.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The Monument Kum & Go is down the road from me. The parking there is small, cramped, and limited. It's difficult to see how they could fit 8 SC pedestals in there.
Other possibilities are the new, and large, Pilot Travel Center at the Baptist Rd interchange with I-25, or the Fairfield Inn at the same interchange.

Who knows, but at other Kum&Go locations, they have utilized previously grass/landscaped areas for supercharger construction. There appears to be lots of space for a similar strategy on the north side of the Monument Kum&Go.
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.38.10 AM.png

Pueblo or Walsenburg would have been much better than Monument. I don't see a need between COS and Denver since the distance is so short. But it's a big gap between COS and Trinidad. At least Alamosa will make a round-trip to the Sand Dunes more feasible.

Totally agree they seem to be really trying to close in tiny gaps in metro areas. Like Westminster is on the list we have golden, Thornton, Loveland, and Boulder do we really need Westminster but I guess a lot has to do with being able to get leases on land and spots that have sufficient power available which is far more prevalent in the metro area.

This is partly why I was suggesting these locations might be at Kum & Go... Are they strategically the most important locations? Probably not. But they may be "targets of opportunity" as part of the larger Tesla collaboration with Kum & Go. Craig is probably in the same category, especially given that they aren't yet showing any plans for continued westward coverage on US-40 (e.g. Vernal, UT).

Who knows, but at other Kum&Go locations, they have utilized previously grass/landscaped areas for supercharger construction. There appears to be lots of space for a similar strategy on the north side of the Monument Kum&Go.View attachment 624912
Looking at things like that can be a bit deceptive, though. They aren't allowed to build inside the required setback. Looking at the overhead picture, the greener grass area is probably okay for them to use, but the browner grass area likely isn't. So, there's not as much usable space as you might think there is from a simple glance.

As predicted, Monument will be at the Kum & Go

Supercharger - Monument, CO

Pueblo or Walsenburg would have been much better than Monument. I don't see a need between COS and Denver since the distance is so short. But it's a big gap between COS and Trinidad. At least Alamosa will make a round-trip to the Sand Dunes more feasible.

I think Monument will still be very useful. I work a lot in Denver area and live in south Colorado Springs. I’ve had a couple of times this winter that I wasn’t certain I’d be able to make it home but it’s be close, and I’m forced to do a top off in Denver. If I had another quick outlet like Monument I’d take the chances more often :) Plus that’d be at the “top of the hill” at that point so I’d know if I’ll make it home as I approach Monument or if I’ll need to stop.

Reactions: COS Blue and CO_MY
I think Monument will still be very useful. I work a lot in Denver area and live in south Colorado Springs. I’ve had a couple of times this winter that I wasn’t certain I’d be able to make it home but it’s be close, and I’m forced to do a top off in Denver. If I had another quick outlet like Monument I’d take the chances more often :) Plus that’d be at the “top of the hill” at that point so I’d know if I’ll make it home as I approach Monument or if I’ll need to stop.
Plus, if you're towing, this will be easier to get in and out of than the parking garage in C-Springs. By the way, there's an excellent Chinese restaurant behind the K&G (and a vet clinic next door if you need to update your distemper shot :))

• Funny
Reactions: Big Ike and sdoorex
Well, it seems Tesla did their "quarterly" update to their "coming soon" map. Notable changes for Colorado:

- Mountain Village (Telluride) updated to Q3 2021
- Alamosa pin deleted

Gotta say, between losing the Walsenburg pin last time and Alamosa this time, it feels like we're going backward. Southern Colorado (particularly US 160) needs some supercharger love!
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 8.22.28 PM.png

My grandparents have a house in Pueblo and in the San Luis Valley and I often travel back and forth to help them from the Aurora area but because of the lack of a Walsenberg and now Alamosa charger I'll have to continue to rely on my ICE vehicle thanks to Tesla because my P85D doesn't have the range to make the round trip and wants me to go all the way from Springs to Trinidad then backtrack to San Luis.

• Informative
Reactions: COS Blue
Gotta say, between losing the Walsenburg pin last time and Alamosa this time, it feels like we're going backward
I actually think it's an encouraging sign. It means that Tesla is following through on their plans to keep their map up-to-date. Before, pins would just stay on there for years and years without any real movement on getting the site built. Now, when sites fall through, they actually get removed until Tesla finds a new location to put into their development pipeline. This is a good thing because it means that the map is more reliable. Expect the listed locations to be more "volatile". Pins getting added and removed more regularly, target dates changing more often, etc.

Maybe that's a hint that a CCS adapter is finally coming in the US? 🤣
I wish! I'm down to 162 RM at 100% and a CCS adapter could bring some peace-of-mind on longer trip legs.

I've been waiting for an Alamosa Supercharger Station for a visit to Great Sand Dunes NP. I guess I'll have to settle for L2 to make it back to Poncha Springs.

All while EA and soon to be Rivian will explode in southern CO. Hmmm...

What sites does EA have planned in southern CO?

I wish! I'm down to 162 RM at 100% and a CCS adapter could bring some peace-of-mind on longer trip legs.

I've been waiting for an Alamosa Supercharger Station for a visit to Great Sand Dunes NP. I guess I'll have to settle for L2 to make it back to Poncha Springs.

CHAdeMO adapter? There's apparently a CCS/CHAdeMO site scheduled to open in Alamosa this summer under the CO EV corridors program (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You - note that whoever added that to Plugshare listed it as a CCS charger, but it will almost certainly also have CHAdeMO)...

What sites does EA have planned in southern CO?

CHAdeMO adapter? There's apparently a CCS/CHAdeMO site scheduled to open in Alamosa this summer under the CO EV corridors program (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You - note that whoever added that to Plugshare listed it as a CCS charger, but it will almost certainly also have CHAdeMO)...
I've certainly thought about the Chademo adapter but am reluctant to purchase something that is already obsolete. [Why can't Tesla just make a CCS-1 adapter and be done with it? Is it prohibited by the SAE CCS-1 protocol? Blocking Tesla was a major purpose of the hugely kludgy CCS standard in the first place, after all.]

Many of the DCFC stations, especially VW's EA, have just one Chademo plug. If it is in use or broken I would be SOL. At least the Chargepoint DCFC stalls tend to have both CCS and Chademo on each one.