Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colours thread

What colours would you like to see?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remind me again what the value of having very few color choices is again? Seems to me the only reason to have a small number of color options is because a dealer can only stock so many choices. Well, Tesla doesn't have that problem, so why have so few choices?

Cheaper to buy fewer colors in larger quantities than many in smaller quantities.

Faster to paint a smaller number of colors than to switch paint and do a larger number of colors.

But I'm not in favor of only having a few colors.

Remind me again what the value of having very few color choices is again?
I think it was a limit in the original paint shop they was using, so they could only offer a fixed set of colors at the same time. If I recall correct they did not even offer "Mulit-Coat Red" until they was done with "Signature Red" for the Model S Signatures.

But today with upgraded paint-shop I have a hard time believing that this is still a limit.

mass order of paint?! Try it will take over 3m gallons to cover all 300k orders-multi layered.
Mass order of paint is over 50k gallons. I don't think that will be an issue. That would yield 60 colors, but 15-20 in reality-There will be many white/red/black/silver orders. Yuck to all of those. I saw a British racing green Ferrari yesterday and dang did it look hot.
Must have been a custom job.
Took over 9 gallons to do my civic in triple coat.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
drab.jpg

Does anyone like those new automobile colors I call: Solid drab crayon box colors?

Last edited:
I saw this model Subaru in this color for the first time yesterday on the road. I thought it didn't look too bad compared to all the variations of "silver" seen on the road these days.
I had the exact same response. I initially couldn't figure out if that color was to be placed in my "I like it" box or the "I don't like it" box.

I placed it in the I like it, but won't buy it box. LOL

I had the exact same response. I initially couldn't figure out if that color was to be placed in my "I like it" box or the "I don't like it" box.

I placed it in the I like it, but won't buy it box. LOL

Like you, my T3 will most likely be in plain white. I will than add some simple, tasteful, subdued graphics to "customize" it. Oh, and I will powder coat the turbine wheels in white.

I currently have a 3 coat, Pearl White car. It is an okay color and highly visible on the road but it is a pain in the trunk to touch up road rash.

Is that your S in your avatar? If so, I have some questions for you in a PM

Like you, my T3 will most likely be in plain white. I will than add some simple, tasteful, subdued graphics to "customize" it. Oh, and I will powder coat the turbine wheels in white.

I currently have a 3 coat, Pearl White car. It is an okay color and highly visible on the road but it is a pain in the trunk to touch up road rash.

No - No.... Plasti-dip your wheels. That way you can remove it if you don't like it....or you can change the colors at will.

Ok fine. All colors will require an additional cost above that of the bar vehicle price.
That makes no sense to charge a color as an extra, that means you can choose the car without a color, and I don't believe Tesla would sell a car without paint... What would make sense is to have a wider variety of colors you are not charged more because the cost is included in the base price, making the base price go higher, but not higher than the promised 35k in the case of the Model 3. But we could see it happen in the X and S, more colors for "free" but a slightly higher base price.