Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commisioning the Gen3 HPWC turned into being very tough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the benefit of connecting the wall connector to wifi? Am I missing out with my earlier "dumb" version? :)
This article gives a good description of what the Gen 3 Wall Connector with WiFi offers. Reviewed: Is Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Tesla's Best Charger?
tl;dr: Not much for now but Gen 3 WiFi features coming.

Here are two paragraphs from the article that discuss Gen 3 WiFi features.
The new wall connector is also a wifi-enabled "smart charger" although Tesla hasn't announced just what smart-charging features the unit will provide. For now, having it wifi connected allows you to provision the unit with your smartphone, (there's no need to set the physical dip switch inside the unit to set the maximum circuit amperage like you had to on the previous models), it can also get firmware updates OTA from Tesla, and as mentioned above, configure daisy-chain load sharing with multiple units.

However, even though users may not get to take advantage of the new wall connector's "smart" features today, they will, as Tesla will most certainly add things like the ability to communicate with your solar array and/or Powerwall so you can charge your car exclusively from your solar production if desired. We're pretty sure Tesla will also get the unit utility-certified to participate in demand response programs, which can save the user a lot of money on their electric bill. /

The setup can be a bit confusing. I used my phone to go through the necessary steps. You need to disconnect the phone from your home WiFi, power up the TWC and then connect to the TWC's access point. Once you are connected, you can set up the TWC so that it acts as a client in your home network. I assigned a fixed IP so that I don't have to wonder how to access it. After that, reconnect your phone to the home WiFi and you should be all set.

Newbie here - in fact, I don't have my MY yet.

But, I did have a TWC installed. Next, I need to connect to wifi so I can use the app to regulate it. My electric utility allows me to pay a little more for my electricity during the daytime so I can have free electricity between 9pm and 6am, and I need the Tesla app to set up scheduled charging.

Creepy - you hit on a problem I had thought of - but then again, it may not be a problem.

You say I need to disconnect my phone from my home wifi. Okay - I get that. But then, I wondered if I would have to switch my phone back and forth between the TWC wifi and my home wifi. That seems like a super pain.

I think what you trying to say when you write "you can set up the TWC so that it acts as a client in your home network" is that I don't have to switch back and forth between wifi systems. If so, can you point me to some place to learn how to do that?

lol. yeah it was annoying. Every time it would say unable to connect. I turned off my wifi, cell service, everything.

It wasn't until I actually typed in the IP address in my chrome on my phone and then it finally popped up.

Next, I need to connect to wifi so I can use the app to regulate it. My electric utility allows me to pay a little more for my electricity during the daytime so I can have free electricity between 9pm and 6am, and I need the Tesla app to set up scheduled charging.
That's not something the Wall Connector (or Tesla App) can do. The only way to do that is to set this up in the car itself so it only starts charging at a certain time.

Connecting the Wall Connector to your home Wifi doesn't give you much at the moment, it could be a way to get a firmware upgrade on it though. And you can browse its webpage from within your local network, which just gives you some info on how it is configured.

BTW: 'free' electricity sounds good :)

Reactions: Cigar Man
I think what you trying to say when you write "you can set up the TWC so that it acts as a client in your home network" is that I don't have to switch back and forth between wifi systems.
As long as you access the TWC through your home network you can look at the settings, but that's all you can do. In order to change settings, you need to be connected to the TWC's internal hotspot.

As others said, you can simply schedule charging for 9 pm from the car and then plug it in whenever you want, even if it's past 9 pm. The car remembers this setting, so you won't have enter the scheduled time every day.

Reactions: Cigar Man