Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing LR AWD to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw some posts from Elon and people talking on youtube about how its actually fine to charge to 90%. The difference between charging to 80 and 90 is too small to worry about. I'm not sure yet if I believe it but that's what I'm seeing.

Research actually says 50% is best. While 90% is fine, 80% is even better.

No reason to charge to 90 if you don't need to use 90.

I'll charge to 100 for road trips but I time it so I am leaving just as it gets to 100. It doesn't stay there without being burned off almost immediately.

As long as you don't charge to 100% and let the car baked under the sun for hours charging to 100% every once a while won't affect the battery life at all. So if you end up getting the SR+ I would recommend charging to 100% right before going to your cabin.

Research actually says 50% is best. While 90% is fine, 80% is even better.

No reason to charge to 90 if you don't need to use 90.

I'll charge to 100 for road trips but I time it so I am leaving just as it gets to 100. It doesn't stay there without being burned off almost immediately.

Yeah, the big question is how do you quantify better. Like is charging to 80% vs 90% like having 100 marbles instead of 99? There was also an interesting YouTube vid that said you need to charge to 90 once and a while to get a more accurate battery estimate.

I live in LA and work from home. I have cabins in the mountains I AirBnB that I go up to check on. Usually 2 hour 110 mile drove. Left yesterday 70 degrees - stuck in traffic for 3 hours before finally getting up to the last 45 minutes up the mountain - temps drop at that point to 40s - 30s at night. I charged to 220 miles and had 30 miles left when I got to the cabin.

AWD LR would probably give me more piece of mind- but it's $9k more and too late at this point to get before end of year.

Man, 30 miles left is cutting it close. Any more traffic and when your battery degrades a bit that's going to be a little rough. You'll have to do a SC stop each time. But, gotta do what you gotta do. At least you work from home so it isn't a daily thing. And that was charging to 100%?

If there are any LR AWD in stock in your area you might be able to get one before the new year.

I had a SR+ on order since Dec 8 but looking like a coin toss to get tax break and then maybe a 3 month wait. Can’t wait since I sold my car already. They had the same spec in a AWD in stock so getting that. Happy to make the upgrade.

I had a SR+ on order since Dec 8 but looking like a coin toss to get tax break and then maybe a 3 month wait. Can’t wait since I sold my car already. They had the same spec in a AWD in stock so getting that. Happy to make the upgrade.

Nice, I told myguy that I will take an AWD if that happens. I don't mind doing that. Even a color change is okay with me. So hopefully something shows up in stock in LA. If not I may just wait for the Y another year or two.

Ahh didn't know about the added interior lights. Fog lights not bad to have going down a mountain - but they never seem to work great anyway.

The car is so fast compared to my Prius- 1 second doesn't mean much to me.

Don't really care about back seat heaters as no one sits in the back usually plus I'm in LA.

Does non premium have traffic as well with paid connectivity?

I ordered AWD just not sure I really need it. I do drive up to my cabins in Big Bear but I avoid it when it snows anyway... But it is around 125 miles each way up a mountain so maybe the longer range is worth it...

But I do have a 220 charger at one of my cabins as well as a slow normal plug at home.
Yes the range and added performance are worth it. plus the other extras of course :) Also you will get more even tire wear and less battery wear.

Model S owner here for 3 years. I was reading your post about charging to 80 vs 90%. Personally I charge to 90% daily and the range loss for 80 000 miles of driving has been of about 5%. Out of that 5%, 3 were on the first 40 000 miles so it seems to be more stable in terms of degradation.

Im just saying this because if you need to charge to 100% once a week it shouldnt really significantly affect your battery degradation over time.

Reactions: house9 and ZappCatt
FYI for all our american friends. On the subject of cost of a Model 3 and government rebates. Our dollar is worth 30 something % less than US dollar so a SR+ starts at $55,990. Just because our dollar is worth less it doesn't mean we are compensated with higher wages.
So a Tesla in Canada is a luxury for the middle class. Add insult to injury most provinces have high sales taxes for instance in Quebec it's around 15%. So yes getting a government rebate is a very important part of being able to afford the least expensive Tesla sold in Canada.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
FYI for all our american friends. On the subject of cost of a Model 3 and government rebates. Our dollar is worth 30 something % less than US dollar so a SR+ starts at $55,990. Just because our dollar is worth less it doesn't mean we are compensated with higher wages.
So a Tesla in Canada is a luxury for the middle class. Add insult to injury most provinces have high sales taxes for instance in Quebec it's around 15%. So yes getting a government rebate is a very important part of being able to afford the least expensive Tesla sold in Canada.

And you can go further, any vehicule with a value over 60k$ CAD in Quebec will get a luxury tax that will decay slower than the value of the car. So its even more important to check prices

• Informative
Reactions: Threader