Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing LR AWD to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest difference besides the speed and traction is the sound system and no fog lights.

Huge mistake on Tesla’s part imo. We should have been able to upgrade to premium sound on the SR+. A few speakers are turned off via software lock and no subwoofer. They sound COMPLETELY different premium sound vs partial.

The ability to upgrade the sound would be amazing.

Well, due to the fact that it's impossible to get a Tesla before the year-end, my salesperson actually got me one! I pick it up tomorrow SR+ white with black. So now of course I want an AWD white with white. Haha. But I guess Tesla made the decision for me.

Last edited:
7. I think the SR+ is a great value, the other car I seriously considered was the Accord Hybrid Touring, factoring in WA sales tax incentive (only the SR+ w/o FSD qualify) and federal tax saving the Accord will be $300 more. The looks, technology, and performance is unmatched in the $40,000 range. Even with SR+ I can still beat 90% of the cars at traffic lights.

I live in Washington, too, and ended up going with a SR+ largely for the sales tax incentive. I like the extras that come with the LR AWD, but the sales tax incentive made it about $12,000 more than a SR+ for me. The only thing I really miss is the better sound system, but I'm planning on installing an amp for the rear deck speakers, and probably a subwoofer as well.

I live in Washington, too, and ended up going with a SR+ largely for the sales tax incentive. I like the extras that come with the LR AWD, but the sales tax incentive made it about $12,000 more than a SR+ for me. The only thing I really miss is the better sound system, but I'm planning on installing an amp for the rear deck speakers, and probably a subwoofer as well.

Love to hear what you end up doing- I'd like to improve the sound system or at least the bass

The biggest difference besides the speed and traction is the sound system and no fog lights.

Huge mistake on Tesla’s part imo. We should have been able to upgrade to premium sound on the SR+. A few speakers are turned off via software lock and no subwoofer. They sound COMPLETELY different premium sound vs partial.
Agree, I'd like to pay to activate fog lights, but unfortunately for the speakers they are not software locked, the physical wiring isn't there so retrofitting is a pretty extensive process.

I know, the final price difference is too great. So far sound system is the only thing I miss, I can care less about premium connectivity or rear heated seats.

Please share as well. I really want a LR RWD but will probably end up with a SR+ and would like to upgrade the sound a bit. I’m in Washington as well, was the tax credit pretty hassle free?
Sales tax credit is done automatically by Tesla, so you'll only end up see roughly $1,600 of sales tax on the final bill.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Love to hear what you end up doing- I'd like to improve the sound system or at least the bass

There are a couple of posts here and on reddit detailing people's upgrades to the SR+ audio system. For me, I mainly want to get the rear deck speakers running (they're not hooked up in the SR+), so I was going to tap the rear door speakers and run that into a line audio converter like an lc2i, then run that into either a 2 channel amp to power the speakers and a mono amp for a small subwoofer in the trunk, or just do a single 4 channel amp and run a bridged line to a subwoofer. From what I've heard the signal to the rear door speakers is pretty good, so this should be doable. I'm still planning and plotting, but I'll post something after I've done this.

I’m strongly considering returning my SR+ during my 7 day window so I can get the awd lr. But I’m also in Washington State so that tax break makes a big difference. I drive about 70 miles a day but that extra range, traction and sound are enticing. Have any of you done this?

I’m strongly considering returning my SR+ during my 7 day window so I can get the awd lr. But I’m also in Washington State so that tax break makes a big difference. I drive about 70 miles a day but that extra range, traction and sound are enticing. Have any of you done this?

I was considering doing the same, but then that means no $1800 tax break any more federally. That means I also have to redo my whole loan, plus whatever money you put down you don't get back for a month or two, and same thing with the loan company.. I think it's too much of a pain. And I'd have to do it tomorrow and there are no all wheel drive cars for the next four to eight weeks probably. None in stock

I charged my car to 98% 2 hours later it was at 97 without driving just sitting in the driveway in 50 degree weather. Drove 5 miles to the bar, it's been sitting outside for an hour I'm still at the bar it's now at 93%. This is a little more loss than I thought. I guess I should have gone long range.

I charged my car to 98% 2 hours later it was at 97 without driving just sitting in the driveway in 50 degree weather. Drove 5 miles to the bar, it's been sitting outside for an hour I'm still at the bar it's now at 93%. This is a little more loss than I thought. I guess I should have gone long range.

Makes no sense. You should stop looking at and worrying about the percentage

You have more range than you need

I charged my car last night to 87%, let it sit today and it's now at 84%

Big deal. Best car ever

• Love
Reactions: JBHemlock
I'm not sure I have more range that I need. When I have to drive up the mountain it's now telling me I have 13% by the time I get there and that's a little scary. I just drove to the bar and back and it took up 10% to go 10 miles. But you're probably right I need to stop looking at it but I definitely made a mistake not getting the long-range. But there's really nothing I can do about it at this point. Hold on to the car, charge every single day on trickle charge, worst-case on trips I'm going to have to stop an extra time. And then once these things get 400-mile range so this car and buy one of those. Sounds like a good plan

Reactions: JBT66
I definitely need to understand this a little better and how to conserve energy Maybe?

Attachments

• 20200105_232829.jpg
    20200105_232829.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 85

Unless you are headed on a long trip right away(where you really want the extra 10%), you shouldn't be charging to 100%...

but yeah, turn off sentry, and let the car sleep.

Reactions: MikeR55