Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing solar quotes and wondering about installation experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad to hear you had no issues with your Tesla solar install. Same reports from 4 neighbors, including one who recently got a new inverter under warranty. If we can save $10k-$15k, I don't mind being the project manager.
I didn't really have to project manage and most people don't if they have the time to wait and aren't worried about Tesla going dark during the scheduling. I guess when there isn't a sales guy on the other end making 20% of your order things move a little slower.

I'm glad to hear you had no issues with your Tesla solar install. Same reports from 4 neighbors, including one who recently got a new inverter under warranty. If we can save $10k-$15k, I don't mind being the project manager.

As someone who is going through the "homeowner is the PM" thing right now - it's the infuriating experience imaginable. It's just not worth the stress and pain to deal with this.

If the big corporates allowed the homeowner to plug straight into their CRM to get hooks into the whole process, I think it might be ok to become the de facto PM. But they don't let the homeowner do anything other than be a remote pest. The actual PM / advisor has too many installs and is too low on the totem pole to do anything.

I just found out my PV + 3X Powerwall order with Sunrun (which apparently has a contract signed, permitted, and POCO sign off on) was sitting with the satellite office. There was a mixup since their work order only says 2x Powerwall. So now they're trying to work backwards and figure out where the mistake occurred.

I know damn well where the mistake occurred. It occurred when I went with Sunrun instead of finding a local installer that could actually do the damn install in a curated/proper way.

Tesla and Sunrun prioritize low-cost. The homeowner deserves competence. Go with a local installer that can offer the latter attribute.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines
I worked with Infinity Energy for installation of a PowerWall and additional solar panels (original installation done about eight years ago by Solar City). My overall experience was very good and it appears I'm close to getting the SGIP payout which Tesla made clear they would not be able to provide. @sleepy, if you haven't decided yet, I would be happy to provide more info on my experience with Infinity.