Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison Between Tesla Model 3 and Polestar 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tshields

Former Vendor
Global Vendor
Jun 15, 2020
MIAMI, FL
I went to the Electrify Expo in Miami last weekend. I thought the show was very disorganized. There were very few cars and not many vendors. The event was sprauled over the parking lot of the Miami Marine Stadium, and the weather was very Miami hot and humid. Also, parking was a disaster.

I did look at the new Polestar by Volvo and was unimpressed. There is very little leg room in the back seat and I don't really like the design of the car (reminds me of a dodge charger). I feel the Tesla has a much sleeker and more refined look. Tesla Model 3 can travel 353 miles on a singe charge and the Polestar has only 294 miles on a charge. The Polestar does have a richer interior as where Tesla has a more basic interior but with a much larger screen. Polestar has nice interior mats while the Tesla mats are comparitively thin and a bit flimsy. This, of course, is one of the reasons why I decided to manufacture superior floor mats for the Model 3 and Model Y Tesla's, mats that are more commensurate and compatible with the elegant and superior quality of vehicle that the Tesla is. Teslashields.com

Anyone else have tested the PoleStar that can share their thoughts or comments on Tesla Model 3 vs PoleStar?

20211017_140230.jpg
20211017_140245.jpg
20211017_140300.jpg

Reactions: jbcarioca
I was actually really impressed by the Polestar 2, I ordered one then canceled in favor of the M3P. I still think the Polestar 2 is an overall better car, but the Model 3 is a better EV, if that makes any sense. My thoughts on this may not be popular here, but I'm going to say it like it I see it. :)

I did two test drives each of Polestar 2 (fully loaded Performance+Pilot+Plus) and Model 3 (first M3LR then M3P), and got to put each car through its paces. Here's my "short" form comparison...

Model 3 pros:

1) [USA] supercharger network: Coverage. There's a notable gap in public DC fast charging in an area I drive around regularly.

2) [USA] supercharger network: Number of plugs per site. Lots of big supercharger sites nowadays, whereas EA and EVGo are like 1 to 5 plugs per site. If a big supercharger site is full, there will be turnover soon, but if a tiny EA or EVGo site is full you might be waiting a while...or wasting energy driving around trying to get lucky at a different tiny site. Right now those EA and EVGo sites may be mostly empty, but the Mach-E, ID.4, etc seem to be selling pretty well, I think that's going to change quick.

2) [USA] supercharger network: Charging UX. With a supercharger, you just show up and plug in. The stories I've read of trying to pay/active public DC chargers sound horrible. I've no interest in fiddling with my phone, digging out lost RFID cards from under my seat, etc. There is a public charging standard called Plug & Charge that should give Tesla-style charging UX, but Polestar hasn't promised to support it. (And I did pester their sales reps about it multiple times.)

3) Range. Real world difference is less than EPA difference, from what I've seen, but it's still real, Model 3 is more efficient and has usefully more highway range (where it matters most usually).

4) Visibility. Model 3 has tall glass and low beltline by modern car standards. I like this. Whereas Polestar 2 is a bit bunker-feeling.

5) Model 3 center infotainment display is much bigger and sharper.

6) M3P accelerates quicker from a dig / low speeds. (At highway speeds the Polestar 2, M3LR, and M3P all feel roughly comparable to me. Basically Polestar 2 felt approximately like M3LR or MYLR in terms of acceleration.)

7) I think Tesla is solidly past the risky-new-car-company stage now. They're going to be here supporting their cars for many years to come, and the USA is home base. Whereas Polestar as an independent-ish car company is very new. Will they succeed? Will they succeed *in the USA*? Will they be able to support the China-made Polestar 2 in the face of geopolitical issues? Polestar's next car will be USA-made and USA-focused, but at the moment, their supply+manufacturing chain looks riskier to me than Tesla's for long-term support of the car.

8) The Model 3's super quick steering ratio (10:1 ?) is fun. (But the Polestar 2 Performance has quicker steering reactions, even with its slower steering ratio.)

9) Tesla has a much stronger set of EV features. Leave climate on / camp / dog modes, scheduled charging builtin to the car, supercharging is plug-n-play, etc. Polestar got some things right, e.g. starting the car is same as in a Tesla (press brake + shift into D/R), so they may catch up via software updates but for now Tesla is still ahead in this.

Polestar 2 pros, based on testing a fully loaded Performance+Pilot+Plus version:

1) It's a hatchback/fastback. Cargo space is no bigger than Model 3, maybe even smaller because Polestar 2 is shorter, but the hatchback opening is more useful than a trunk. (Yes Model Y has a hatch and way more space than a Polestar 2, but the Y drives like *sugar* in comparison - sorry Y owners.)

2) Polestar 2 Performance handling (with stock Öhlins dampers) is night-and-day better than M3P or M3LR. I can't overstate how much better the Polestar handled for twisty roads, especially uneven back roads. M3P and M3LR are a sloppy mess in comparison. Even on smooth road it's much better, quicker to react, more stable, etc.

3) Polestar 2 Performance ride quality was also much better than Model 3 (LR or P). It was definitely firm and sporty, but smaller bumps were completely smoother over, and large bumps were felt but never harsh. The ride/handling balance was in a whole different league than Model 3.

4) Polestar 2's lift-off regen (in max setting) is much sharper and quicker-reacting than any Tesla I've driven, where the regen always feels a little slow and mushy to react. I liked this very much.

5) As a tall-ish person, I find Polestar 2 back seat a lot more comfortable than Model 3. Yes there's less legroom, but the seat is much higher off the floor, Model 3 back seat is so low it's very uncomfortable. Polestar 2 has just enough legroom that I could plausibly sit behind myself for a long drive.

6) The Polestar 2 front seats seemed to hold me better in turns than Model 3. Not sure if better bolstering or just gripper material.

7) I think Android Automotive has potential to become better infotainment than Tesla. Lots of automakers are getting onboard, I expect the app ecosystem will grow and eclipse Tesla's functionality soon, especially for streaming apps.

8) Polestar 2 has all the regular driver's controls. There is a wiper stalk/knob, no need for touchscreen to control wiper settings. And the turn signal stalk works the normal way, where I can feel what it's set to. I hate how the Model 3/Y stalk always returns to center. Hopefully I'll get used to it...

10) Polestar 2 has a driver's display.

11) Polestar 2 ACC on my test drive was smoother than my M3P's TACC. Note, I've only used it once on each car, so this is very tentative comparison. I have used TACC many times on Model S loaners over the years, and I actually feel like Tesla TACC has regressed, my M3P seems worse at it than those older Model S.

12) Polestar 2 Performance package comes with forged wheels. And tires with some actual sidewall (not too much). And the tire width looked matched appropriately for the wheels, not overly stretched like the 2021 M3P stock tires.

13) I think Polestar 2 highway wind noise was a little lower than Model 3. (Definitely lower than Model Y.)

I really like my M3P, and I'll be addressing its suspension flaws via Redwood Öhlins coilovers. But I do think Tesla needs to step up some aspects of their cars before their range+charging advantage becomes less of a thing.

I went to the Electrify Expo in Miami last weekend. I thought the show was very disorganized. There were very few cars and not many vendors. The event was sprauled over the parking lot of the Miami Marine Stadium, and the weather was very Miami hot and humid. Also, parking was a disaster.

I did look at the new Polestar by Volvo and was unimpressed. There is very little leg room in the back seat and I don't really like the design of the car (reminds me of a dodge charger). I feel the Tesla has a much sleeker and more refined look. Tesla Model 3 can travel 353 miles on a singe charge and the Polestar has only 294 miles on a charge. The Polestar does have a richer interior as where Tesla has a more basic interior but with a much larger screen. Polestar has nice interior mats while the Tesla mats are comparitively thin and a bit flimsy. This, of course, is one of the reasons why I decided to manufacture superior floor mats for the Model 3 and Model Y Tesla's, mats that are more commensurate and compatible with the elegant and superior quality of vehicle that the Tesla is. Teslashields.com

Anyone else have tested the PoleStar that can share their thoughts or comments on Tesla Model 3 vs PoleStar?

View attachment 725203View attachment 725204View attachment 725205
Did you have the correct range listed? I thought the Polestar 2 range was around 250.

I forgot to mention, 2021 Model 3 has better interior features.

In the Polestar center console you can use only one of these at a time: 2nd cupholder, center storage bin, or center armrest.

Also Polestar has only one wireless charging pad, vs two in the Model 3. And Polestar is a mix of USB-A and USB-C, vs all USB-C in the Model 3 (better).

Polestar 2 does have a ski passthrough in addition to regular split folding rear seats.

Reactions: CarbonPear
I rented a Polestar 2 on Turo for a few hours before I ordered my new 3. It’s a very good car. Feels super solid and is quick compared to everything but a Tesla. I also thought the UI was well designed. I think it runs an actual version of Android.
What I didn’t like was how the interior felt from the driver position. It has the “cockpit” design where everything is tall around you, including the center console. Some people will like that. Coming from my first 3 and an S before that, it felt very cramped and shut in.
If you’re used to the openness of a Tesla I’d be sure to sit in one before you ordered.

Front end is beautiful, more than the Tesla. Rear end looks abrupt and unfinished.
Interior gives a more substantial impression - nicer steering wheel, cloth trim, etc.
Interior has nice cozy driver-centric feeling - but at the expense of airiness and roominess of Tesla.
Seats are typical volvo: shapely and gorgeous whether in cloth or leather. Biggest advantage over Tesla.
Love the concept of Ohlins dampers, but manual adjustment is not really practical.

Personally it was the closest thing that came to challenging the Model 3, but especially given the smaller rear room, I still would take the Tesla 9/10 times.

The seat material looks cheap (it might not feel cheap, haven't driven one) and the front grille is ugly as sin, at least on a white car. Looks like a mouth full of black teeth. Needs to be body colored to hide/shrink it visually.
But if you absolutely need a hatchback and don't want to go with the taller and less-precise-handling Y, this might be your bag.

Love the concept of Ohlins dampers, but manual adjustment is not really practical.
Those dampers were so good, there would be no need to fiddle with the adjusters. Just get them set right once, as my test drive car was, and leave'em. Excellent handling and ride quality all at once. 🙂

The seat material looks cheap (it might not feel cheap, haven't driven one)
It doesn't feel luxurious, not the seat material or the rest of the interior, but it did feel high quality and very well put together. Overall just a more solid and higher quality feeling than Model 3 interior.

There is a leather+wood option that looks nice in photos, but I never sat in a car with it.

and the front grille is ugly as sin, at least on a white car. Looks like a mouth full of black teeth. Needs to be body colored to hide/shrink it visually.
You mean like my Model S black fishmouth? The black teeth mouth would be in good company at my home. 🤣

But if you absolutely need a hatchback and don't want to go with the taller and less-precise-handling Y, this might be your bag.
Hatch/liftgate is a biiig selling point to some of us. The Model S hatch really helped make it a complete single car for my family for many years, we've gotten big use of its cargo-hauling capability. In our recent shopping for a 2nd car, the Model 3 was the only one we looked at without a hatch.

We're keeping the S though, so when push came to shove, I accepted the 3 as a sedan. But I would rather it be a hatchback or wagon.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The front of the P2 is very nice IMO. I like the 'Thor's Hammer' lights. Still too 'regular ICE' inside for me. I prefer the minimalism of my 3P. I won't buy one over a Tesla at the moment...let's see how these evolve over the coming years...

I was actually really impressed by the Polestar 2, I ordered one then canceled in favor of the M3P. I still think the Polestar 2 is an overall better car, but the Model 3 is a better EV, if that makes any sense. My thoughts on this may not be popular here, but I'm going to say it like it I see it. :)

I did two test drives each of Polestar 2 (fully loaded Performance+Pilot+Plus) and Model 3 (first M3LR then M3P), and got to put each car through its paces. Here's my "short" form comparison...

Model 3 pros:

1) [USA] supercharger network: Coverage. There's a notable gap in public DC fast charging in an area I drive around regularly.

2) [USA] supercharger network: Number of plugs per site. Lots of big supercharger sites nowadays, whereas EA and EVGo are like 1 to 5 plugs per site. If a big supercharger site is full, there will be turnover soon, but if a tiny EA or EVGo site is full you might be waiting a while...or wasting energy driving around trying to get lucky at a different tiny site. Right now those EA and EVGo sites may be mostly empty, but the Mach-E, ID.4, etc seem to be selling pretty well, I think that's going to change quick.

2) [USA] supercharger network: Charging UX. With a supercharger, you just show up and plug in. The stories I've read of trying to pay/active public DC chargers sound horrible. I've no interest in fiddling with my phone, digging out lost RFID cards from under my seat, etc. There is a public charging standard called Plug & Charge that should give Tesla-style charging UX, but Polestar hasn't promised to support it. (And I did pester their sales reps about it multiple times.)

3) Range. Real world difference is less than EPA difference, from what I've seen, but it's still real, Model 3 is more efficient and has usefully more highway range (where it matters most usually).

4) Visibility. Model 3 has tall glass and low beltline by modern car standards. I like this. Whereas Polestar 2 is a bit bunker-feeling.

6) M3P accelerates quicker from a dig / low speeds. (At highway speeds the Polestar 2, M3LR, and M3P all feel roughly comparable to me. Basically Polestar 2 felt approximately like M3LR or MYLR in terms of acceleration.)

7) I think Tesla is solidly past the risky-new-car-company stage now. They're going to be here supporting their cars for many years to come, and the USA is home base. Whereas Polestar as an independent-ish car company is very new. Will they succeed? Will they succeed *in the USA*? Will they be able to support the China-made Polestar 2 in the face of geopolitical issues? Polestar's next car will be USA-made and USA-focused, but at the moment, their supply+manufacturing chain looks riskier to me than Tesla's for long-term support of the car.

8) The Model 3's super quick steering ratio (10:1 ?) is fun. (But the Polestar 2 Performance has quicker steering reactions, even with its slower steering ratio.)

9) Tesla has a much stronger set of EV features. Leave climate on / camp / dog modes, scheduled charging builtin to the car, supercharging is plug-n-play, etc. Polestar got some things right, e.g. starting the car is same as in a Tesla (press brake + shift into D/R), so they may catch up via software updates but for now Tesla is still ahead in this.

Polestar 2 pros, based on testing a fully loaded Performance+Pilot+Plus version:

1) It's a hatchback/fastback. Cargo space is no bigger than Model 3, maybe even smaller because Polestar 2 is shorter, but the hatchback opening is more useful than a trunk. (Yes Model Y has a hatch and way more space than a Polestar 2, but the Y drives like *sugar* in comparison - sorry Y owners.)

2) Polestar 2 Performance handling (with stock Öhlins dampers) is night-and-day better than M3P or M3LR. I can't overstate how much better the Polestar handled for twisty roads, especially uneven back roads. M3P and M3LR are a sloppy mess in comparison. Even on smooth road it's much better, quicker to react, more stable, etc.

3) Polestar 2 Performance ride quality was also much better than Model 3 (LR or P). It was definitely firm and sporty, but smaller bumps were completely smoother over, and large bumps were felt but never harsh. The ride/handling balance was in a whole different league than Model 3.

4) Polestar 2's lift-off regen (in max setting) is much sharper and quicker-reacting than any Tesla I've driven, where the regen always feels a little slow and mushy to react. I liked this very much.

5) As a tall-ish person, I find Polestar 2 back seat a lot more comfortable than Model 3. Yes there's less legroom, but the seat is much higher off the floor, Model 3 back seat is so low it's very uncomfortable. Polestar 2 has just enough legroom that I could plausibly sit behind myself for a long drive.

6) The Polestar 2 front seats seemed to hold me better in turns than Model 3. Not sure if better bolstering or just gripper material.

7) I think Android Automotive has potential to become better infotainment than Tesla. Lots of automakers are getting onboard, I expect the app ecosystem will grow and eclipse Tesla's functionality soon, especially for streaming apps.

8) Polestar 2 has all the regular driver's controls. There is a wiper stalk/knob, no need for touchscreen to control wiper settings. And the turn signal stalk works the normal way, where I can feel what it's set to. I hate how the Model 3/Y stalk always returns to center. Hopefully I'll get used to it...

11) Polestar 2 ACC on my test drive was smoother than my M3P's TACC. Note, I've only used it once on each car, so this is very tentative comparison. I have used TACC many times on Model S loaners over the years, and I actually feel like Tesla TACC has regressed, my M3P seems worse at it than those older Model S.

12) Polestar 2 Performance package comes with forged wheels. And tires with some actual sidewall (not too much). And the tire width looked matched appropriately for the wheels, not overly stretched like the 2021 M3P stock tires.

13) I think Polestar 2 highway wind noise was a little lower than Model 3. (Definitely lower than Model Y.)

I really like my M3P, and I'll be addressing its suspension flaws via Redwood Öhlins coilovers. But I do think Tesla needs to step up some aspects of their cars before their range+charging advantage becomes less of a thing.

@tm1v2

Just wanted to drop you a note and say I found this post very informative. The reviews / feedback I like the best (not just cars, on anything, really) is when you can tell the reviewer spent time actually evaluating both items. I got a lot from this review here, so thanks for sharing your perspective.

Model 3 pros:

You forgot that the Polestar is a lot more expensive

You forgot that the Polestar is a lot more expensive

Polestar still qualifies for the $7,500 federal tax credit. I think their pricing reflects that.

I think the closest matchup spec-wise is Polestar 2 AWD with Pilot+Plus packs vs M3LR with 19" wheels. In those configs Polestar is about $1k more after the federal tax rebate - not much difference.

Now if you care about ride and handling, adding Öhlins DFV dampers (coilovers) to your M3LR will set you back another $4k-ish. On the Polestar 2 the Performance pack is $5k, but in addition to the Öhlins, it gives you bigger brakes and forged wheels (that still fit useful sidewall tires). And it retains full warranty of course, vs losing warranty coverage of my Model 3 suspension after modifying it.

In my case I really wanted track mode and the better brakes. So I'm starting off with an M3P which is $2k more than Polestar 2 Pilot+Plus+Performance (after federal tax rebate), and then adding $4k of Öhlins + $2k of the cheapest forged wheels I can find + $1k for matching-sized summer performance tires. Net result is $8k-$9k more for my M3P with mods to bring its handling and ride up to the Polestar 2 Performance.

Now for that $8k-$9k I end up with a lot more! Track mode, longer range, supercharger network, quicker acceleration at low speeds, and a lighter car (by EV standards). So I'm fine with the price difference, I'll be paying more to ultimately get more, but in no way is the Model 3 cheaper than Polestar 2 for me. It all depends on what you value and can budget for.

A closer comparison would be to start with M3LR instead of M3P, since M3LR matches Polestar 2 AWD acceleration. With an M3LR I would want the Öhlins coilovers and a brake upgrade, but with the OE 18s or 19s I could skip the wheel upgrade/downsize. I strongly considered this route, but ultimately I'd be kicking myself for not getting Track Mode when I had the option, and I'd rather get better brakes from the factory than go deeper into modding. Plus there's the acceleration benefit. So M3P it was for me. ☺️

Polestar still qualifies for the $7,500 federal tax credit. I think their pricing reflects that.

I think the closest matchup spec-wise is Polestar 2 AWD with Pilot+Plus packs vs M3LR with 19" wheels. In those configs Polestar is about $1k more after the federal tax rebate - not much difference.

Now if you care about ride and handling, adding Öhlins DFV dampers (coilovers) to your M3LR will set you back another $4k-ish. On the Polestar 2 the Performance pack is $5k, but in addition to the Öhlins, it gives you bigger brakes and forged wheels (that still fit useful sidewall tires). And it retains full warranty of course, vs losing warranty coverage of my Model 3 suspension after modifying it.

In my case I really wanted track mode and the better brakes. So I'm starting off with an M3P which is $2k more than Polestar 2 Pilot+Plus+Performance (after federal tax rebate), and then adding $4k of Öhlins + $2k of the cheapest forged wheels I can find + $1k for matching-sized summer performance tires. Net result is $8k-$9k more for my M3P with mods to bring its handling and ride up to the Polestar 2 Performance.

Now for that $8k-$9k I end up with a lot more! Track mode, longer range, supercharger network, quicker acceleration at low speeds, and a lighter car (by EV standards). So I'm fine with the price difference, I'll be paying more to ultimately get more, but in no way is the Model 3 cheaper than Polestar 2 for me. It all depends on what you value and can budget for.

A closer comparison would be to start with M3LR instead of M3P, since M3LR matches Polestar 2 AWD acceleration. With an M3LR I would want the Öhlins coilovers and a brake upgrade, but with the OE 18s or 19s I could skip the wheel upgrade/downsize. I strongly considered this route, but ultimately I'd be kicking myself for not getting Track Mode when I had the option, and I'd rather get better brakes from the factory than go deeper into modding. Plus there's the acceleration benefit. So M3P it was for me. ☺️
You don't automatically lose warranty. That's not how voiding warranties work. That said, I concur on the M3P, them M3LR. Then again I personally would not have considered a Polestar in the first place. :cool:

You don't automatically lose warranty. That's not how voiding warranties work.
That's true, but realistically, I think it would be a very uphill battle to get coverage of any suspension part after putting on the coilovers, unless there's a relevant recall or very widespread / common issue. And the coilovers themselves won't be warrantied by Tesla obviously. I guess I could swap the dampers back to stock prior to bringing it in, but....nah. Not worth my time, and I'm not trying to hide anything.

Putting on street-friendly coilovers absolutely will/should *not* void other parts of my warranty of course. Drivetrain, electronics, etc. That's the stuff I'm most concerned about for warranty coverage, and I should be good there, even if I have to push back if Tesla tries to somehow blame the coilovers.

I've gone mildly down the car modding path before, in what feels like a past life. I know approximately what I'm getting into. ;) I never considered any of this for our Model S, it's just not that kind of car, but the Model 3 is small+tossable+fun enough to make it worth enhancing even more!

I really liked the Polestar except:

The steering felt even more lifeless than the M3P.

The interior felt far too 'tight' for my long frame. The center console was obtrusive to a fault for me. The ICE platform isn't doing the Polestar any favors here. But the upcoming CUV should be very compelling if this model is an indication of Polestars direction.