Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of Model 3 Performance w/ the Two Versions of MPP Coilovers and the Standard off the shelf KW-V3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While not from a Model 3, I think it is interesting to note the physical differences between a set of "$1000" coilovers and KW's. My brother just switched from ICS N1 to KW V1. The contrast is stark. Just look at the overall height and the spring height.

View attachment 701817

The problem with the aforementioned coilovers is that they typically utilize a lot of universal parts to put together something that fits the model they are going in to - it's the only way to get the cost down low enough. They tout features like "32-way adjustment", "carbon steel body", etc; but they are all typically similar builds and quality, and some of the parts may very well be sourced from the same factory but with a different finish.

Unfortunately, this never yields a great result. They may physically fit the car, but they were not specifically designed for the car. Post-install reviews are generally positive, but if you dig deeper there are almost always problems and issues crop up the longer they are on the vehicle. No one wants to spend $1k and then be unhappy with the result, so it's easy to convince yourself it must be good. However, the reality is typically unsatisfactory.

All I am trying to say is that the reason I support MPP's Coilovers is because they took the time to develop the coilovers properly with a top-tier manufacturer, put them on the road, put them on the track, made changes and adjustments as needed, and offer unparalleled post-sales support. They didn't just slap together something that fit and say "good to go".

And, here's my brothers reaction of the change.

View attachment 701829

Just thought I could offer some good outside perspective when comparing coilovers!
On the BMWs make sure you check the bearing on the top mount or just replace the top mount so you don't have any issues down the road.

What's the fun in that. :D.

I may even do a back-to-back test....sort of the equivalent of my A/B tests back when I was really into audio equipment..... you know, audio research tube amps/preamps, magneplanar speakers, etc.

I have also had pretty good luck selling my used "stuff" -- of course, for a decent discount. o_O
I'm still holding for you Jack. hehe. I haven't had time to publicize that one set if you want to go NIB MPP with no wait. I would love to hear your review because you are a man of vast experience and one which can be highly respected.

Let me just put in a pitch having both @MountainPass adjustable kits (see here for Model 3 Performance w/ Two Versions of MPP Coilovers). MPP has done an amazing job tuning both kits. The Sport kit is perfect for folks doing occasional tracking, while the Comfort Adjustable kit really improves the car's around town and highway behavior and handling at the same time.

With either kit I think the absolute no-brainer compliment is their amazing MPP Model 3 Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bearings - Mountain Pass Performance. It really makes an enormous difference in terms of just how linear and direct the steering feels, and removes a rubbery vagueness in the stock suspension that even the coilover kits do not by themselves anyway eliminate. I just had a friend drive my car who has a stock dual motor long-range model 3 that he loves and he was amazed at the handling and steering difference. Now he just has to figure out how to get these upgrades past his wife's hyper-vigilant accountancy!

Last edited: