Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of Model 3 Performance w/ the Two Versions of MPP Coilovers and the Standard off the shelf KW-V3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going down the rabbit-hole in trying to make a decision amongst the 3 versions of KW-Variant 3 setups for my M3P.

We have 2 MPP versions (Comfort and Sport) and then there is KW's "off the shelf" double adjustable coilover set--Part #: 35287007.

In my attempt to do appropriate research, I have read numerous posts and have made contact with KW corporate.

@dfwatt -- I very much appreciate your contribution on this subject.

I have received information from reliable sources that the "off-the-shelf" KW V3 setup uses a linear front spring with a rate of 460 lb/in and, to my surprise, learned that the rear spring is progressive (don't have the spring rate average or range for the rear). I was also advised that the valving for the stock KW D/A coil over setup can handle a change of spring rate of plus or minus 200 lb/in from that which comes standard.

Does anyone know the MPP spring rates, comfort vs sport? And, does anyone have any input on the ride/driving characteristics of the "off-the-shelf" KW V3 setup?

I would love to get one of the MPP offering but am somewhat put off by the long wait, and I can get the "off-the-shelf" KW V3 setup almost immediately.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

i have the OTS KW v3 and am overall happy with it. I would have gone Ohlins if they had a OTS one similar to pricing as the KW, but they dont. I do dislike how the rear spring perch adjustment is as i cannot do it without pretty much removing it from the car.

i have the OTS KW v3 and am overall happy with it. I would have gone Ohlins if they had a OTS one similar to pricing as the KW, but they dont. I do dislike how the rear spring perch adjustment is as i cannot do it without pretty much removing it from the car.
Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, how low did you go and what rebound and compression settings are you running?

MPP sport and kw springs are the same. Valving is not. MPP valving has few times more clicks within stiffer (slower) side of adjustment, ke has a lot of adjustments for softer (faster) side. MPP valving makes much more sense. KW has fancier colors.

If you put higher rate springs on KW - you have very poor resolution of adjustment, so it easily becomes too much or not enough. Since valving is digressive, and I didn't test MPP on a dyno, I can't say if the high speed valving is the same or not.

I have KW and I would go with MPP sport with stiffer springs.

MPP sport and kw springs are the same. Valving is not. MPP valving has few times more clicks within stiffer (slower) side of adjustment, ke has a lot of adjustments for softer (faster) side. MPP valving makes much more sense. KW has fancier colors.

If you put higher rate springs on KW - you have very poor resolution of adjustment, so it easily becomes too much or not enough. Since valving is digressive, and I didn't test MPP on a dyno, I can't say if the high speed valving is the same or not.

I went with KW as my car is more street focused than track. I do like the adjustability of the shock vs stock shocks. At the time of purchase, there were not many choices as far as shocks. Even as of today, there are not many options yet and i hated the ride quality of the stock shock that i needed it to go!

so is it a bad idea to run mpp's super spring set on kw v3? I'm currently running V3 on my M3P and am thinking about swapping the springs out for Mpp's super spring set.

so is it a bad idea to run mpp's super spring set on kw v3? I'm currently running V3 on my M3P and am thinking about swapping the springs out for Mpp's super spring set.
Your other issue is the upper spring adapter of the KW vs the MPP. MPP makes their upper rear spring adapter to accept ~ 70ID and the KW variant is much larger. In other words, they are not cross compatible. Please take a look at the pictures and you will see that the KW rear spring seems to be virtually the same ID top to bottom but MPP is not. MPP did this intentionally so that the enthusiast can easily upgrade their rear springs with their lower spring arm kit. I am a fan of supporting the innovators.

The other thing to note is that MPP increased the stroke on their version for both the front and the rear dampers.

MPP Pros:
1. Forward compatible for rear spring swaps
2. Fine tuned valving to cater to a broader audience from street to track
3. More stroke for added droop. Keep that tire on the ground as much as possible.
4. The MPP is simply a better value in USA at least. MPP MSRP $2740 vs KW MSRP $2779.00

You need the spring adapter circled below to make the supersport spring kit work with standard KW offerings. I don't think MPP will sell that adapter a la carte.

KW Pros: But this is about it.
1. No wait for right now and maybe you can get it a little cheaper only because any shop in the world can get them so it's a competitive market.

In all reality the team at MPP has been working very hard to get ahead of the high demand on their product. Their website indicates a 4 week lead time. There are select dealers who are also trying to combat this by putting in stocking orders to keep items in stock for install purposes. That's what we have been doing to help out all the locals but once they arrive they are immediately installed onto a car. It's like we are always chasing our tails.

1628871169630.png

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
I honestly don't think that MPP rear springs any different from KW, but I can be wrong. As I've said, MPP is better. KW would need revalving to properly accommodate harder springs. And I don't think that KW does revalving for customers on kits cheaper than clubsport level.

I would go with MPP. They have put considerable time into researching and developing the best offerings for the Model 3 platform. I have their Comfort and Sport kits and they are both phenomenal.

MPP also has superb customer service - you won't be disappointed. I originally made the mistake of going with far more expensive coilovers with a shorter lead time a few years ago and regretted it - I ended up with MPP Sports and have been extremely happy.

I honestly don't think that MPP rear springs any different from KW, but I can be wrong. As I've said, MPP is better. KW would need revalving to properly accommodate harder springs. And I don't think that KW does revalving for customers on kits cheaper than clubsport level.
Mash, I was told by the KW factory rep that the valving on their "off-the-shelf" V3's can handle springs that are up to 200 lbs stiffer or softer. Obviously, you would use different settings for rebound and compression on the dampers to control the springs.

What are you doing with them? Tracking or just looks and a slightly better ride on the street?

If just street, neither.

I respect your opinion that coilovers in this price range are not required for the street - but having installed, driven, and lived with many different coilovers from different manufacturers on different cars, it is simply that - an opinion.

I personally would not even consider the options that you were considering for the Model 3. From corrosion protection. to ride quality, to weight, to materials, NVH, ease of install, aftersales support, serviceability, etc - coilovers are definitely a get what you pay for affair.

They are different. I've installed both. I also provided you an image illustrating the difference. KW never intended to offer a lower spring arm so their design is not forward compatible to MPP for that reason. Valving aside there are physical differences that people should be aware of before purchasing the various spring arm options from MPP.

Reactions: Mash
Had the "OTS" KW V3s installed on my M3P yesterday. My experience with them over their first 60 mile breakin drive has been great. Tried them on rough roads and smooth pavement -- they handled the mixed terrain well. Much better car control characteristics than stock, definitely more compliant when dealing with road irregularities.....the ride 'may be' firmer than stock (not 100% sure on this), yet definitely more comfortable than stock, stock suspension "harshness" gone and overall the ride quality is improved. Final ride height adjustment and alignment will be made after we give the springs some more miles/time to settle. In the meantime, I'm loving the aesthetic improvement. Suffice it to say, I am happy with these coil overs.

side1-lowered.jpg

I would go with MPP. They have put considerable time into researching and developing the best offerings for the Model 3 platform. I have their Comfort and Sport kits and they are both phenomenal.

MPP also has superb customer service - you won't be disappointed. I originally made the mistake of going with far more expensive coilovers with a shorter lead time a few years ago and regretted it - I ended up with MPP Sports and have been extremely happy.
I second this. Their customer service is some of the best, very knowledgeable and eager to help. I am extremely happy with the MPP parts I have got so far.

I second this. Their customer service is some of the best, very knowledgeable and eager to help. I am extremely happy with the MPP parts I have got so far.
Thank you @Dasbush121

Like @P3D-R said, be aware that there are both physical and valving differences between the kits, so don't assume that our spring arms will plug and play with the KW kit!

Reactions: P3D-R
While not from a Model 3, I think it is interesting to note the physical differences between a set of "$1000" coilovers and KW's. My brother just switched from ICS N1 to KW V1. The contrast is stark. Just look at the overall height and the spring height.

messages_0.jpeg

The problem with the aforementioned coilovers is that they typically utilize a lot of universal parts to put together something that fits the model they are going in to - it's the only way to get the cost down low enough. They tout features like "32-way adjustment", "carbon steel body", etc; but they are all typically similar builds and quality, and some of the parts may very well be sourced from the same factory but with a different finish.

Unfortunately, this never yields a great result. They may physically fit the car, but they were not specifically designed for the car. Post-install reviews are generally positive, but if you dig deeper there are almost always problems and issues crop up the longer they are on the vehicle. No one wants to spend $1k and then be unhappy with the result, so it's easy to convince yourself it must be good. However, the reality is typically unsatisfactory.

All I am trying to say is that the reason I support MPP's Coilovers is because they took the time to develop the coilovers properly with a top-tier manufacturer, put them on the road, put them on the track, made changes and adjustments as needed, and offer unparalleled post-sales support. They didn't just slap together something that fit and say "good to go".

And, here's my brothers reaction of the change.

Capture.JPG

Just thought I could offer some good outside perspective when comparing coilovers!

Reactions: Clivew
MPP is a great outfit that sells great products, and a Company I have put my trust in. Had MPP camber arms installed along with the coils.

I went with the "OTS" KW V3 car specific coils for the M3P solely because I am the impatient type, could not wait the 6-8 weeks. 😎

I may have scored some NIB MPP comfort adjustable coils available for immediate delivery. I love having choices and paying twice for installation. :eek:

FWIW, I did not find my M3P with stock suspension to be too stiff/firm for everyday driving. I did, however, feel that on occasion it would "crash" and be "harsh" over certain road imperfections -- rear suspension travel appeared to be compromised. Nevertheless, my primary impetus for a change to coils was to reduce the tire/wheel "gap"; if handling and/or ride quality improved, that would be a positive externality. I just didn't want the aesthetic change to destroy ride quality. Hence, lowering springs were a no go. I do not plan to track the M3P; I've got dedicated track cars for that purpose.

So far, I have no complaints about ride quality or anything else relating to the "OTS" KW's.

In starting this thread, it was never my intention to denigrate, in any way, MPP's offerings -- as I said earlier, MPP's products are fantastic and they provide a great service to the Tesla community, IMHO.

Reactions: SigNC
MPP is a great outfit that sells great products, and a Company I have put my trust in. Had MPP camber arms installed along with the coils.

I went with the "OTS" KW V3 car specific coils for the M3P solely because I am the impatient type, could not wait the 6-8 weeks. 😎

I may have scored some NIB MPP comfort adjustable coils available for immediate delivery. I love having choices and paying twice for installation. :eek:

FWIW, I did not find my M3P with stock suspension to be too stiff/firm for everyday driving. I did, however, feel that on occasion it would "crash" and be "harsh" over certain road imperfections -- rear suspension travel appeared to be compromised. Nevertheless, my primary impetus for a change to coils was to reduce the tire/wheel "gap"; if handling and/or ride quality improved, that would be a positive externality. I just didn't want the aesthetic change to destroy ride quality. Hence, lowering springs were a no go. I do not plan to track the M3P; I've got dedicated track cars for that purpose.

So far, I have no complaints about ride quality or anything else relating to the "OTS" KW's.

In starting this thread, it was never my intention to denigrate, in any way, MPP's offerings -- as I said earlier, MPP's products are fantastic and they provide a great service to the Tesla community, IMHO.
That sounds like my customer who is switching to a different platform now! Best of luck! Thanks for your kind words and we hope to keep getting our delivery times down. Right now we are at 4 weeks but it has been a painful process.