Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concern with non cosmetic quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just rejected my MY pup delivery, panels hanging off not even clipped in, gaps, seals not sealing, etc...., Are you comfortable with the rest of the car where you cant easily inspect? If the external parts are this sloppily put together, what makes you think they did a good job with critical parts inside? Motors, brakes, battery, wiring.
It would seem that the same rushed attitude would carry over to every aspect of production.

Reactions: CO_MY and BlindPass
well we do see quite a few Frunk issues and A/C issues, which could be software related, or not.

I've already been labeled a Tesla Hater even though I look forward to taking delivery of my MY, but I consider myself brand-agnostic so I'm not going to be a Tesla cheerleader, or any manufacturer's cheerleader.

To answer your question, no I don't have great confidence that the vehicle is entirely well put together. I think the lack of moving parts helps mask some of the deficiencies we see in how the car is bolted together and also presented to the buyer. I liken comparing an ICE car to an analog, automatic movement watch. The watch has a lot more moving parts and are therefore harder to assemble than a digital watch, which may have more technology in it's circuit board, but being overall easier to put together it will have inherently less potential for things to go wrong.

So for me Telsa is the digital watch. Easier to assemble the parts, but that doesn't mean it's well screwed together. The circuitry is not being hamfisted together like the car assembly line so I have confidence in that area, but as far as how the cars are being put together on the assembly line, painted in the booth, and presented to the actually buyers, well, let's say Tesla leaves a lot to be desired.

But we all have our opinions. I also still believe Tesla has the clear edge on software, battery and charging network so I'm still going to buy my ordered MY someday (order has been placed on hold for now).

BTW Eric, what color did you order and how was the paint?

Having just rejected my MY pup delivery, panels hanging off not even clipped in, gaps, seals not sealing, etc...., Are you comfortable with the rest of the car where you cant easily inspect? If the external parts are this sloppily put together, what makes you think they did a good job with critical parts inside? Motors, brakes, battery, wiring.
It would seem that the same rushed attitude would carry over to every aspect of production.
Yes and no.

I do believe part of the production quality issues is Tesla intentionally passing costs onto the consumer. A new approach to lean car manufacturing. It’s not negligence, it’s cost cutting. Tesla’s technology is new and expensive, so less of the premium sticker price is about fit and finish. This would be fine if they had customer service.

Does this permeate to non-cosmetic issues? At one point I’d say no. However, being a Tesla owner for awhile, I think they’ve jumped from wise cost-cutting to corporate greed. Keep in mind EV should have less maintenance, but I don’t trust Tesla to stop at just cosmetic in their pursuit of more profits.

Reactions: raggedy