Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation forming in the camera housing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mike_TV

Apr 29, 2020
Chicagoland
Found a thread in the Model 3 forum but nothing here. Since they share parts it may be related to the Model Y.

I've had the left, driver's side, pillar camera blocked error message while driving in the rain on two different occasions now. Both days it was raining the whole drive, which were both about an hour each. One was a full on downpour while the other time it was more of misty light rain.

Condensation forms and the camera can't see. Certain features like automatic lane change are disabled. It cleared after a few minutes one time but took hours to clear up on the another drive.

Telsa service is telling me that it's normal and expected in our region (Chicago area).

Wanted to post here as an FYI and random thought of when FSD becomes available will my car just text me while it's raining to say that it can't go any further since one of it's cameras are blocked? :p

I bet weather conditions will be a problem for various autonomous technologies for a while. Condensation due to an improperly sealed housing is one thing. But it can also happen through wear and tear or minor collision damage, plus rain, snow, mud, and grime can block a camera or sensor at any time. Then there is the issue of precipitation covering road markings and signs; or fog, sand, or smoke limiting visibility.