Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo Owners, how much did it cost you to install charging options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New here and a first time poster.

I'm on the fence about getting a Model S, with one major hurdle... the HOA. I'm moving to Cambridge this summer and prior to purchase I've bugged the HOA about installing a charging socket for a potential electric vehicle. They weren't able to get a direct quote from NStar, but in short they needed a way to meter how much electricity I would be using for charging. They said they would be more open about talking about it after I have ownership of a unit in the complex.

Has anyone else gone through this? And if so, how much did it run you? Any other advice on how to get my vehicle charged without a primary charging station at home is appreciated as well.

It will be much cheaper and easier for everyone if you can simply agree on a monthly charge based on approximate usage. Getting another meter is going to cost everyone more.

http://www.nstar.com/ss3/residential/rates_tariffs/rates/rates.asp

Am I reading this right? only 5cents per kwh? I'm looking to only put about 7000 miles max per year on the car as I walk to work. So about 600 monthly with let's say 200miles per 85kwh. I'm looking at an extra 12 dollars a month.

I'll go talk to them as soon as possible. The complex was new construction so they're still in the process of electing board members... and shifting control over from the developers.

At my last place, we agreed on a $50/mo flat rate because installing a meter that I could be billed on was virtually impossible to do. Get in touch with a facilities person and not just a leasing agent or whoever's at the front desk. Give them a ride in the car (get them excited about it, and get them on your side).
I wasn't charged for installation -- I just extended the lease agreement from 12 to 18 months. It wasn't easy -- took persistence. Best of luck!

At my last place, we agreed on a $50/mo flat rate because installing a meter that I could be billed on was virtually impossible to do. Get in touch with a facilities person and not just a leasing agent or whoever's at the front desk. Give them a ride in the car (get them excited about it, and get them on your side).
I wasn't charged for installation -- I just extended the lease agreement from 12 to 18 months. It wasn't easy -- took persistence. Best of luck!

Sweet, if you were able to get that on a leased unit, that gets my hopes way up as I'll actually be owning the unit.

In the meantime there are other options. I had only 120V at home for the first month and a half, and did a lot of my charging at Logan while on business trips, or at Porter Square shopping center where there are two free Chargepoints. There are others around as well - Charles and Seaport hotel parking lots, Post Office Square lot, etc.

In the meantime there are other options. I had only 120V at home for the first month and a half, and did a lot of my charging at Logan while on business trips, or at Porter Square shopping center where there are two free Chargepoints. There are others around as well - Charles and Seaport hotel parking lots, Post Office Square lot, etc.

I was originally thinking about this, but I will be living close enough to walk to work. I'm not really saving much in terms of gas with the S, but the car itself just too sexy. I think the garage under the Marriott at Kendall does have electric charging stations and I might be able to trade my current monthly employer paid parking slot near the MIT Sloan building for that. But we're given a choice between free parking and a T pass(70$ value), so I'd be forfeiting the T pass which would represent an opportunity cost of 70 if I do decide to do it this way.

Most of the charge points in Kendall area seem also to be in paid garages too... I was thinking maybe juicing up in the Boston Common Garage, as the after 4PM and weekend rates is just 5.50 for entire nights till 8 the next morning. Not sure on how inconvenient this would be though.

I'm really hoping either installing the meter isn't too much, or the HOA is understanding and only adds a reasonable amount onto my monthly condo fees. I saw on some of the infrastructure threads that some of the guys out in CA were getting hit with like 100/mo increases.

You guys know of anything incentive wise the Condo as a whole gets for installing such items in MA that I could help me promote my cause? EV incentives seem pretty low for MA, but then again, the state seems like they're starving for tax dollars ever since the Big Dig.

A number of years ago several owners in my condo building, including yours truly, wanted to have electric available at their boat docks. Since non-boat owners did not want to help fund our monthly use, we had an electrician run lines from our individual post-meter panels in the main utilities/electrical room, located in the ground floor garage area. We did the same for our individual storage rooms. I plan to soon have a conduit and cable run to my undercover assigned parking space. If at all possible, I recommend it.

I was originally thinking about this, but I will be living close enough to walk to work...

You guys know of anything incentive wise the Condo as a whole gets for installing such items in MA that I could help me promote my cause? EV incentives seem pretty low for MA, but then again, the state seems like they're starving for tax dollars ever since the Big Dig.

If you can walk to work or readily take the T, please do so - going electric shouldn't result in increasing the number of cars on the road and needing garaging at work :smile:.

Assuming the Condo qualifies as a business, there is a federal tax credit for 30% of charging device and installation costs, up to $30,000. If it's considered for personal use, the cap is $1000. From the ChargePoint site: EVSE Tax Credit 2012 - ChargePoint

EV Tax Credit Section 30C for Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property

Did you install a ChargePoint EV charging stations in 2012 or have plans to install in 2013? We have some great news! The recent fiscal cliff deal that Congress passed included a broad set of tax extenders for all electric vehicle charging stations and installation.​
Included in the Section 30C credit for Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property is a 30 percent credit, capped at $30,000 for business/investment* use per site and $1,000 for personal use.​
This means that any** ChargePoint business customer who installed EV charging stations in 2012 or who plans to install EV charging stations in 2013 may qualify for up to a $30,000 tax credit per location.​
Please visit:​
And download:​

I just finished having an electrician install a new 4-meter panel (3 meter holes will just be left covered for future use by other condo owners), a new dedicated meter, and a conduit running 130-ft to my parking space where there's a new NEMA 14-50 outlet.

QUESTION: does IRS form 8911 apply to me? Will I be eligible for a $1000 tax credit for this work (which is costing me around $3650)?

QUESTION 2: if Yes to the prev question, would this tax credit be *in addition to* the $7500 for buying the Model S?

I just finished having an electrician install a new 4-meter panel (3 meter holes will just be left covered for future use by other condo owners), a new dedicated meter, and a conduit running 130-ft to my parking space where there's a new NEMA 14-50 outlet.

QUESTION: does IRS form 8911 apply to me? Will I be eligible for a $1000 tax credit for this work (which is costing me around $3650)?

QUESTION 2: if Yes to the prev question, would this tax credit be *in addition to* the $7500 for buying the Model S?
The general answers to both your Qs are: yes.

Of course, it depends on your specific situation if you are eligible for the full amounts. Note that the equipment credit is subject to addl rules that makes it harder top qualify for. But it is possible to get the full amount for both if your situation meets the criteria.