Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed... Model 3 will have ludicrous mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ludicrous in a Model 3 will require the AWD (dual motor) Performance option, just like it does in the S/X. It will be the single most expensive option you can get, so will add a lot of cost over the base version. That said, it will of course be insanely quick so it will be worth it for many buyers. I expect it to be as quick as an S with Ludicrous.

I figure I have a year and a half to try to convince my spouse to configure our 3 with Ludicrous. ;-)

I will just sneak it in after showing my wife the "configured" car :)

Is there some kind of SLA for "Ludicrous" mode with regard to power level, performance metrics (like 0-60 etc), or performance delta vs non-Ludicrous versions? I'm just curious whether Elon has in mind a standard that the Mod3 must meet in order to considered Ludicrous.

Pretty sure the "Ludicrous" label is just their way of saying "Stupid Fast". Not sure there is any specific matrix or anything, just crazy stupid fast. Pretty safe to assume that a Ludicrous Model 3 will be stupid fast for a $35,000 base car. Also pretty safe to assume that it won't come cheap! For me...and I know many will disagree, I can buy a whole lot of bells and whistles for what it would cost to go 3 tenths of a second faster than the plain old big battery dual motor model. Just my views on it. "under 6 seconds" is PLENTY quick for me.

Dan

Last edited:
The only instrument would be a timer for a road course. Given the recent performance for the Model S on the Nurburgring, I am doubtful that the Model 3 would be able to match any performance oriented sports car. It's simply not designed to do so and that's OK, really. There's still a lot they'd need to figure out to be competitive in that market, and it's not surprising if it's not planned by Tesla.

This is based on the performance of the P85 at the Ring?

The most interesting thing I read recently any racing Tesla's is that Ludicrous cars don't do power limiting until you get low in the pack, at least on some tracks.

The pack main fuse is one of the more likely candidates for the power limiting to be protecting, and the new fuse would be a clear fix for it.

I'd love to see what a P90DL can do on the Ring - I think you'd be surprised.

Track performance isn't really important to me, but it makes for interesting reading, and I know it matters to some people.
Walter

For me...and I know many will disagree, I can buy a whole lot of bells and whistles for what it would cost to go 3 tenths of a second faster than the plain old big battery dual motor model. Just my views on it. "under 6 seconds" is PLENTY quick for me.

Dan
I agree completely. Yeah it would be cool, but without an unlimited budget I'm sure I'd rather have other options than shaving some time off the 0-60. After a few months of gunning it all the time, it probably wouldn't get used as much, in which case I'd rather have nicer seats or better sound system or something else I will use and enjoy for as long as I have the car.

I'm glad it exists though for those that want it and are willing to pay for it, if for no other reason than so they can help Tesla meet their goals on margin and keep the base price low as possible.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
Ludicrous mode gets a lot of attention for reducing the 0-60 times, but doesn't it have a larger impact reducing 30-50, 50-70 or 60-100 mph passing times?

Increasing the power "at speed", and the duration that power is available for track use, seems like much better rationale for the upgrade than saving a few tenths to 60.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Saghost
Do you need the large wheels to get performance/ludicrous?

Because that would suck.

It looks like you can configure a Model S with the smaller tires, but I'm not sure.
Pretty sure the P85+ version required the 21" wheels, but other than that you can order either size wheel for both the S and X performance models currently. I would assume same would be for the 3.

This is based on the performance of the P85 at the Ring?

The most interesting thing I read recently any racing Tesla's is that Ludicrous cars don't do power limiting until you get low in the pack, at least on some tracks.

The pack main fuse is one of the more likely candidates for the power limiting to be protecting, and the new fuse would be a clear fix for it.

I'd love to see what a P90DL can do on the Ring - I think you'd be surprised.

Track performance isn't really important to me, but it makes for interesting reading, and I know it matters to some people.
Walter

Maybe they need to put in a track mode to get more regulation so that the system does not go "limp". Really hoping that there will be a Model 3 config that can be competitive with other track cars....and I'm willing to pay to play.

Does Tesla allow purchasing a vehicle with the Ludicrous mode hardware that would require a software purchase and upgrade to activate the Ludicrous mode at a later date? More people would purchase this option if they could purchase the hardware required at a lower cost where they would pay separately for the software upgrade to the Ludicrous mode when desired and in a better financial circumstance. This type of purchase should also lower insurance cost of the vehicle until there is a software upgrade to Ludicrous mode.

Supposedly all the new 90kWh batteries come with the new fuses. As long as you bought the performance version it's possible to upgrade later via software. The non-performance version can't suddenly get a new motor though through software upgrade.

Supposedly all the new 90kWh batteries come with the new fuses. As long as you bought the performance version it's possible to upgrade later via software. The non-performance version can't suddenly get a new motor though through software upgrade.
I plan on getting the dual motor and smart air suspension options, but not a larger battery because of the cost.