Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed that MCU3 (Ryzen) in 3/Y does NOT have a discrete GPU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2022 holiday update is being rolled out. As part of the update, Steam gaming is brought to new S/X. Unfortunately 3/Y cannot run Steam games. Teslascope has confirmed that even the newest 3/Y with Ryzen CPU (aka MCU 3) does not have a discrete GPU.

I guess we can never game on our 3/Y...

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 4.33.34 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 4.33.27 PM.png

Although there is no discrete GPU, Steam also has a lot of 2D games

There are, but then they'd need some kind of custom filtering against many thousands of available games.

For S/X they appear to have just used the "works on steamdeck" filter that already exists (and makes sense since Steamdeck is running roughly comparably HW, and also running Linux like the steamdeck)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
In a few short months HW3.x/Ryzen combo will be considered legacy and feature dev will go into full on HW4/whateverCPU/GPU single stack mode.

What we need is more DRIVER and CAR software bells/whistles, less STEAM and indie games in Tesla. Thats what SFF PC builds pumping hundreds of fps via 10/12-bit color 120Hz+ 4/8K screens are for.
My 22 model Y performance still can't vent windows. Ever since the recall, they just removed the feature and have been promising for months to restore the wondow remote vent and ability to remote roll up windows in a future update. My basic model 3 had those features and I paid twice as much for this model y and got less for it. I'm trading in for an Aptera when they come out. Tesla company displays immaturity and ignorance with contept for their customers.

Moreover, they shipped by MYP without data access other than the single USB in the glove box. I can't wait to sell. Not to mention Tesla Vision doesn't perform better but Elon just lies and tells you it does just as well. He is a bad man for business, ai regret becoming a customer, the only reason a person buys Tesla is for the charging network anyway. When I got my 22'MYP it couldn't play any controller games and now it will only play one player games after thee update. I payed more and got less, very unhappy with my purchase. Absolutely not worth 75k.

I'm not sure this thread is correct. There's been no proof, nor is there a link to anything official.

The fact it doesn't run on anything but the newest S/X vehicles with dGPUs, and the fact Elon confirmed they'd require a retrofit for even slightly older S/X, seems pretty official proof to me.

If you don't have a dGPU- and nothing but the latest S/X does- no steam for you.

It's possible (though not certain) the S/X retrofit to add a dGPU to "older" Ryzen cars will also be available for 3/Y eventually-- but from what I understanding retrofitting a Ryzen MCU to a car that never had one of any kind is very difficult as it also requires the higher voltage Lithium replacement for the old 12v, and entirely different wiring harnesses connecting all of it.

There are, but then they'd need some kind of custom filtering against many thousands of available games.

For S/X they appear to have just used the "works on steamdeck" filter that already exists (and makes sense since Steamdeck is running roughly comparably HW, and also running Linux like the steamdeck)

the basic one has a GPU, just embedded in the APU.

PC owners don’t need a filter, they just need to be buyer beware. This is unlikely to be people buying a lot of steam games, more about letting you access your existing library in the car.

And there are plenty of older games that would work ok on a quad core APU. No, not Cyberpunk, but thats ok

the basic one has a GPU, just embedded in the APU.

Which is why I said dGPU.

d stands for discrete... as opposed to the much less capable iGPU (integrated) the basic ones have.

PC owners don’t need a filter, they just need to be buyer beware. This is unlikely to be people buying a lot of steam games, more about letting you access your existing library in the car.

And there are plenty of older games that would work ok on a quad core APU. No, not Cyberpunk, but thats ok

The filter is for steamdeck games.

Because the steamdeck- like the Tesla (but unlike more than 9 out of every 10 PCs) is running Linux, not Windows...and the steamdeck just happens to be running... an RDNA 2 dGPU...just like the Tesla.

Hence why only the Teslas with dGPUs have access to this feature.

If Tesla wanted to ALSO allow access to older games on the weaker HW, they could already have easily done that- the fact they're saying they'll offer S/X owners dGPU retrofits to gain access to Steam confirms they don't intend to do that.

The steam deck will be closer to the 3/Y APU than the S/X. It is rdna2 but not a dGPU (although that doesn’t matter really)

Steam deck means it’s a Linux filter. should still scale down to various levels of performance (it has to as the S/X are so much more powerful than steamdeck) so should be feasible for it to scale down too

3/Y < SteamDeck <<< S/X

Last edited:
The steam deck will be closer to the 3/Y APU than the S/X. It is rdna2 but not a dGPU (although that doesn’t matter really)

Steam deck means it’s a Linux filter. should still scale down to various levels of performance (it has to as the S/X are so much more powerful than steamdeck) so should be feasible for it to scale down too

3/Y < SteamDeck <<< S/X

I happen to agree with @Knightshade that Tesla's actions point to this being "no". I mean, we will see, but there are a couple of reasons why they would not just release it to 3/Y with ryzen processor if that was something that they both wanted to do, and the systems were capable of:

1. 3/Y owners with same model year cars got Atom processors and Ryzen processors. It could be that the cars are capable, but tesla doesnt want to highlight "hey those of you who got 2022s with Atom processors missed out while those with 2022 Ryzens didnt. I dont believe there is any easy path to retrofitting an atom car with ryzen either, but am not an insider or tesla engineer so dont know that for sure.

2. It could be that the cars simply are not capable at a performance level that tesla (avoiding saying "he who must not be named") is comfortable with, or one that would bring bad press, for a feature that is purely fluff and should bring neutral or positive press. Its possible that there is no viable retrofit path for these cars so its easier to just say "no".

What we are pretty darn sure of at this point though, is that Ryzen processor model 3/Y also came with a different 12v battery architecture entirely (a Li-Ion one). We havent seen any cases of model 3/Y with Ryzen processor +Lead acid battery, and people looking into this have seen the harness appears to be different etc as mentioned by @Knightshade

We also know they are willing to release a feature for Ryzen equipped vehicles that is not available on Atom equipped ones by their actions (Zoom), so I dont think point one is likely. I can verify that Zoom is available on my Wifes Ryzen equipped 2022 model Y, and not on my atom equipped 2018 model 3, and both are on the exact same firmware version at this point.

All that leads me to believe that, we wont see any steam on 3/Y but yeah I am just speculating, for sure.

Reactions: Knightshade

I do not believe this is correct

It is now confirmed that Tesla Car Computer features Zen1+ based custom Ryzen Embedded chip instead of a rumored Zen2-based chip.
It's mainly discussing the S/X setup that includes the dGPU, but teardowns seem to show the 3/Y got the same APU just with the dGPU left out... meaning the performance would be significantly worse than the RDNA2 APU in the steamdeck.

I do not believe this is correct

It's mainly discussing the S/X setup that includes the dGPU, but teardowns seem to show the 3/Y got the same APU just with the dGPU left out... meaning the performance would be significantly worse than the RDNA2 APU in the steamdeck.

I agree. But it will still be closer than the steamdeck will be to the S/X. Thats supposedly 10TF and the deck is probably sub 1TF.

Also @jjrandorin I agree with you - I don’t necessarily think Tesla will being it to 3/Y. Just arguing why logically it should/could be made available. Fundamentally PCs all have different performance levels and there is a whole subset of people that run games on potato PCs.

Because Steam is running inside a VM, without a dGPU to pass in, it will be 100% CPU emulation. The performance will be very poor. The integrated GPU in the Ryzen likely can't be passed in to the VM as it's still needed for the host OS (Tesla infotainment).

Which means the performance will be way worse than a Steam Deck due to the virtualization overhead. Steam is running on bare metal Linux on the Steam Deck IIRC.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightshade