Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed that MCU3 (Ryzen) in 3/Y does NOT have a discrete GPU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2022 holiday update is being rolled out. As part of the update, Steam gaming is brought to new S/X. Unfortunately 3/Y cannot run Steam games. Teslascope has confirmed that even the newest 3/Y with Ryzen CPU (aka MCU 3) does not have a discrete GPU.

I guess we can never game on our 3/Y...

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 4.33.34 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 4.33.27 PM.png

I sure wish I had the Ryzen. The older SoC drops so many frames. Even without a dGPU the Ryzen iGPU is pretty good.

I have the Atom processor... and everything ran very smooth until the v11 update. It's not the hardware that's the problem - it's that Tesla is now forcing the games to share resources with the rest of the UI so that you can access the climate controls via overlay while gaming (or some similar reason).

For the type of games we'll have in our cars, the Intel Atom processor really is sufficient... but Tesla doesn't seem to care about what things it breaks along the way.

The 2022 holiday update is being rolled out. As part of the update, Steam gaming is brought to new S/X. Unfortunately 3/Y cannot run Steam games. Teslascope has confirmed that even the newest 3/Y with Ryzen CPU (aka MCU 3) does not have a discrete GPU.

I guess we can never game on our 3/Y...

View attachment 884658
View attachment 884659
I think green confirmed it some time ago. It seems like the very early Chinese Model Ys had the dGPU, but that might have been a case of them using the parts bin to sell as many cars as possible.

I have the Atom processor... and everything ran very smooth until the v11 update. It's not the hardware that's the problem - it's that Tesla is now forcing the games to share resources with the rest of the UI so that you can access the climate controls via overlay while gaming (or some similar reason).

For the type of games we'll have in our cars, the Intel Atom processor really is sufficient... but Tesla doesn't seem to care about what things it breaks along the way.
v11 definitely did not help but even on v10 there were plenty of frame drops

A discrete GPU never sounded likely since the power usage would be higher, no? If the car had one, you wouldn't need a heater, just run a game on Steam, and the whole cabin would be warmed up.
Even the most power hungry GPUs (which is not what this car would have) use 400W at load. It wouldn’t be a significant usage, especially since the times it would be in use are likely when parking.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
It would be possible to disable the dGPU when not gaming, but it is extremely wasteful to put a dGPU in a car that would only require it for gaming.
it is not an issue of disabling it as that is how every GPU/CPU works, when its doing nothing it is idle and will withdraw minuscule amount of power. it is only because Tesla wanted to save $$ for 3/Y

I find this odd as Musk has been going on about Steam for a while, seems odd that the computers in the new Y's were not able to use it.
Maybe he just found out, he is obviously all over the place and maybe just found out himself.
Would be easier to add an HDMI to his cars and allow ps5 to be attached, probably cheaper to

APU isn’t great vs a discrete GPU but it’ll still play games on lower settings. Even just the BT controller support for the current games would be welcome

The mobile-app and retro games we've previously had? Sure.

The modern Steam stuff like CP2077? Not so much.

Even the most power hungry GPUs (which is not what this car would have) use 400W at load.

600 nowadays, and higher with transient spikes- but yeah the car wouldn't need anything remotely like that, esp. given the relatively "low" resolution of the screen