Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conformal wheel arch soundproofing from China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does not look like it fits very well so might go over the existing liners. Although they shouldn't need to. This will work to reduce road noise. Someone may have determined that rear liners don't do much.
More pictures on Alibaba:
Good Quality Car Front Wheel Sound Noise Insulation Cotton For Tesla Model 3 S X - Buy Car Front Wheel,Car Noise Cotton,For Tesla Model 3 Product on Alibaba.com

There are also some trunk liners for the underside of the hat shelf that would probably make a difference.
For Tesla Model 3 Car Rear Trunk Soundproof Cotton Mat SoundProof Protective Pad | eBay

Last edited:
It does not look like it fits very well so might go over the existing liners. Although they shouldn't need to. This will work to reduce road noise. Someone may have determined that rear liners don't do much.

There are also some trunk liners for the underside of the hat shelf that would probably make a difference.
For Tesla Model 3 Car Rear Trunk Soundproof Cotton Mat SoundProof Protective Pad | eBay

I might just buy the rear one because it looks so much nicer than what it is now.

Just as a note it may affect bass from audio.
I don't think it will. Low frequency sound easily passes through thin materials. Remember that the subwoofer already sits behind the trunk liner in the Model 3. Bigger concern is probably proper HVAC airflow from the cabin to the exhaust flaps under the rear bumper. But this pad looks like it will sit half an inch or so away from the rear deck, so it will probably let air pass on the sides. If not you could cut some openings.

A 'cotton pad' by itself will do little or nothing to reduce road noise regardless of where it's placed. Any change you notice will almost certainly be a placebo. My 2c is to put the $ into a proven solution instead of wasting money on this pad.

Proper damping requires 1- a constraining layer (butyl), 2- a decoupling layer (ccf) and 3- a reflective barrier (MLV). Source: Dozens of posts/tests/results on DIYMA and other reputable forums over the years.

Start at the source > tires. If you can't find a set that meets your requirements in addition to low road noise (or that set is out of reach for some reason), you can easily do the first 2 layers using something such as the 36sq/ft box of Noico 80mil and the 170mil sticky back CCF (on Amazon for about $100 for both e.g. relatively cheap). The existing liner can also be used as the reflective barrier by spraying the back with several coats of plasti dip or rhino liner, etc..(also making it 100% reversible) But be aware this mod will add ~10lbs to the total sprung weight.

I have done this mod (both interior/exteior sides of the well) and TBH the results are negligible. My 3 is often whisper quiet but on the majority of roads, but things still sound like I'm at the back of a damn airplane over rougher roads.

The weight trade-off isn't negligible however, unless you offset that weight elsewhere (via forged wheels, etc.).

Anyway I'll post some pics the next time I pop a wheel for some reason to show you how I installed the 3-layer version.

So I rotated my tires today at 6000 miles, and got a good look at the wheel wells, and my front wheel well inner liner is plastic, while the rear wheel well is a fabric material like the under tray that has had sagging problems. So, this front liner is fabric. It might help to trap some sound that would transfer easily thru the plastic wheel well, but I'd say under $50 might be worth giving it a try. At the current price, I'll wait for someone else to try.