Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congress Discusses EV Tax-Credit Expansion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting suggestion. Have you ever used Snow tires on a rear wheel drive car, or front wheel drive car for that matter? I have done both on my Acura's and on both occasions I still ended up stranded; and one time in a ditch. It wasn't until I had a 4 wheel drive that I had no problems.

And I've been stranded in a ditch. Had nothing to do with drive wheels. Mostly driving skill. Haven't you become more skilled also?
Never got stranded in my 4 years in Buffalo with my RX-7 on Blizzaks. Blew away AWD trucks most of the time.

What they should do is make it the first X cars by all manufacturers combined (say first million by any qualifying manufacturer). This would eliminate the penalty of early movers like Tesla losing their credits while late bloomers start getting theirs.

And they should reduce the credit to maybe $5000. It doesn't need to be so high anymore, and lowering the amount in a significant way would give it more appeal to legislators who don't favor the tax credits.

Yep - it could be sold as a way to reduce costs. Say there are 10 manufacturers - that is 2 million + phase out.
Cut it to 1.5 million and do $5k. That is more than a 50% savings. We are probably over 1M by now.
Nissan 140k, GM 230k, Tesla 500k, Toyota 50k, BMW 90k, Ford 120k, MB 20k Everyone else 20k - all very rough estimates.

But it would obviously be a huge gift to Tesla who would eat through it by the end of 2020. The good thing (politically) is that it would boost economic activity in 2020 but be paid for in 2021. Good for reelection of the miscreants.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
And I've been stranded in a ditch. Had nothing to do with drive wheels. Mostly driving skill. Haven't you become more skilled also?
Never got stranded in my 4 years in Buffalo with my RX-7 on Blizzaks. Blew away AWD trucks most of the time.

Yea I got stuck in a 4wd Nissan Xterra in a ditch when I was younger. Went right off the highway. I never got stuck again though. This whole need awd for snow stuff is funny because most cars driving around you when it's snowing do not have awd. Even your mailman delivering in the snow everyday has rear wheel drive.

Looks like this will be a non issue. WH and Congress struck it down.
Again, it wasn't properly crafted or sold. Needed to be extended for early EV producers but made cheaper overall to appeal to those in government who don't like EVs. Would extending to early EV producers be a gift to Tesla? Yes, as it should be, really. Tesla isn't perfect, but Tesla made it all happen. They deserve most of the credit (though it's really the buyers who get the credit, Tesla just theoretically benefits from increased sales volume).