Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecticut Delivery Process?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you pick up your car, you'll get a temporary registration. Mt. Kisco will then go to the CT DMV and register the car, and then they will send you the registration (and plates if you're getting new ones). The temporary registration lasts 30 days. What happened with me, was my car insurance renewed three weeks after I picked up the car. Mt. Kisco didn't go to register it until 29 days after I bought the car, so the insurance info they had was then not current and the DMV denied registration. I sent them the current insurance info, but have not heard back from them. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Ahhh, thank you.

that's amazing they are sending people to wait @ DMV (thrilled its not us); although i find it hard to see Tesla doing that indefinitely.

I picked up my Tesla on Nov 16, after waiting 2 hours in their show room for my 11 a.m. scheduled appointment after having to ask 3 times how much longer it would take. Although I never got a reply or an apology for any of my requests, someone finally came to me around 1p.m. and processed the paperwork. She told me it takes 10 days to get the title, and they would mail it to me in CT where I would then register my car. After 2 weeks, I called (twice with no return call) and emailed 4 days in a row to get an answer. I did get a call and was advised it takes all of 30 days to get the title processed, and it would be overnighted to me by the time the temporary plates expire (12/16). Today I was told it takes 90 days to get a title. Has anyone else had the same problem. If so, what fines did you get for driving your new car without a license for 60 days.

I picked up my Tesla on Nov 16, after waiting 2 hours in their show room for my 11 a.m. scheduled appointment after having to ask 3 times how much longer it would take. Although I never got a reply or an apology for any of my requests, someone finally came to me around 1p.m. and processed the paperwork. She told me it takes 10 days to get the title, and they would mail it to me in CT where I would then register my car. After 2 weeks, I called (twice with no return call) and emailed 4 days in a row to get an answer. I did get a call and was advised it takes all of 30 days to get the title processed, and it would be overnighted to me by the time the temporary plates expire (12/16). Today I was told it takes 90 days to get a title. Has anyone else had the same problem. If so, what fines did you get for driving your new car without a license for 60 days.
I have a very similar problem. My temp NY 'plate' has expired. I had a 4:30 appt and arrived at 4:10. I was still waiting, less than patiently, at 9:00. A very nice young woman took it upon herself to do the paperwork with me, they drove me to the off-site and likely 30 minutes later I was on the 2 1/2 hr drive home. I've called Mt Kisco twice and they can't tell me the status of my registration. This is beyond incompetent.

Has anyone from CT picked up their car from Mt Kisco and
1) not received their CT registration or
2) have received their CT registration.

I took delivery in Mt Kisco over a month ago and have received nothing and heard nothing. I've called Mt Kisco twice and I believe they lost my paperwork. I was told they would overnight my registration and, presumably, plates w/i 30 days. Today I was told they don't overnight anything simply mail it. I don't know if they did a transfer of registration, a new registration or what. So now I am curious if this is an endemic problem or if I screwed up big time in a prior life.

I have to keep reminding myself that we're early adopters. Not just of the tech, but of the whole company, and all of its processes. They are a mess, but hopefully will get it straightened out soon! Really, this is CTs fault for making Tesla jump through hoops to sell cars here. But still...

We are not 'early adopters". Tesla has been selling cars for years and Mt Kisco has been selling cars for some time. Yes, they sell a lot of cars day as they handle all of NY as well as CT and maybe even NH. I was told they deliver 40/day. They have a 3rd party company take the CT registrations to CT DMV. Likely ditto for NH, and someone do the NY registrations via NY DMV. This is pretty straight-forward stuff. What we are all seeing is incompetence. I spoke to them twice now and they don't even know where things stand with my registration. I called my Customer Experience guy in Dedham. He said something to the effect it went back to Contacts (dept) to get me the paperwork so I could register it. WHAT? It sounds like they lost the paperwork. That could put title in jeopardy. Maybe they lost the paperwork on my trade-in which means they can't sell that car either. Does that mean I technically still own that car??? Who knows. This has bad written all over it.

I took delivery in Mt Kisco over a month ago and have received nothing and heard nothing. I've called Mt Kisco twice and I believe they lost my paperwork. I was told they would overnight my registration and, presumably, plates w/i 30 days. Today I was told they don't overnight anything simply mail it. I don't know if they did a transfer of registration, a new registration or what. So now I am curious if this is an endemic problem or if I screwed up big time in a prior life.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this chaos does take the glow way. I was so excited to get my car, even after the awful customer serivce at Mt. Kisco, and I get cranky every time I see my pretty and expensive and legally undrivable car sitting in my garage. The CT customers who have received their CT plates/tags seem to be the ones who picked up their vehicles in October and before. No one seems to be getting the same story. Clearly, There is a major processing problem going on that Tesla isn't being honest about with the customer and maybe even their own staff. I have faith it will be resolved soon, because Tesla has to be facing a huge bill for interim car rentals, ubers, and probably state-levied fines.

I took delivery in Mt Kisco over a month ago and have received nothing and heard nothing. I've called Mt Kisco twice and I believe they lost my paperwork. I was told they would overnight my registration and, presumably, plates w/i 30 days. Today I was told they don't overnight anything simply mail it. I don't know if they did a transfer of registration, a new registration or what. So now I am curious if this is an endemic problem or if I screwed up big time in a prior life.

Yes, this chaos does take the glow way. I was so excited to get my car, even after the awful customer serivce at Mt. Kisco, and I get cranky every time I see my pretty and expensive and legally undrivable car sitting in my garage. The CT customers who have received their CT plates/tags seem to be the ones who picked up their vehicles in October and before. No one seems to be getting the same story. Clearly, There is a major processing problem going on that Tesla isn't being honest about with the customer and maybe even their own staff. I have faith it will be resolved soon, because Tesla has to be facing a huge bill for interim car rentals, ubers, and probably state-levied fines.
I've called Mt Kisco twice, I'll call again after I type this as I need clarification on what I am about to relay. First though, I arrived at 4:10 for a 4:30 appt. I was asked/told 3 separate individuals over the course of 4 hrs that I had arrived at 4:10 for a 4:30 appt. At 8:30 with effectively only me still there a very pleasant woman helped me. I decided yesterday to call my Tesla appointed Owner Advisor. He's in sales at Tesla in Dedham. There was a lot of background noise but I am pretty sure he said they placed me back in Contracts to draw up enough documentation for me to register it myself. WAIT...what? They've already been prepaid to register it. Why can't/won't they expedite someone to go to the CT DMV and register my car then overnight me the registration and plates? Hence, why I feel I need more clarification. And why not start just overnighting me a new transit registration good for another 30 days? This is bizarre.

In case you don't know, the issue is that Tesla has to register each vehicle in-person at a CT DMV office.They can only register 2 cars per visit to the window, then they go to the back of the line (really they get another number). So, they're lucky to register 8 cars per day. They do have multiple people doing this (like 3-4). So, they can register 24-32 cars per day.

I was frustrated when mine arrived late, but there isn't much you can do about it. I did call Mt Kisco (delivery team & sales team) multiple times to harass them and even threatened to drive up there, but don't know what it made any difference. They were telling people that it was ok to drive with expired temp tags. That's total BS since a cop would be within rights to tow the car as unregistered.

Lobby your state rep & senator to allow Tesla to sell here so we don't have to deal with this!

Reactions: wcorey
Hey all, I’m about to order my SR+ model 3 this weekend before the price increase on Monday. I have been reading the reviews concerning Mt. Kisco and they seem negative for the most part. Has anyone picked up their car from Mt. Kisco in the past month? I am hoping they have smoothed out some of their issues.

Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: rasputinj
Hey all, I’m about to order my SR+ model 3 this weekend before the price increase on Monday. I have been reading the reviews concerning Mt. Kisco and they seem negative for the most part. Has anyone picked up their car from Mt. Kisco in the past month? I am hoping they have smoothed out some of their issues.

Thanks
I picked up my LR in Nov so I am not your target responder. I think you'll be fine. The big crunch is over delivery times are measured in weeks if not days. Don't be shy when you go there, ask people if they are delivery or customers. Talk to delivery people. Get there early, like 20 mins early. The cars are off site. Depending on where you are coming from it's kind of a fun drive. Hint: On your return the car will be calibrating. When it's done pull into a breakdown lane. I've forgotten whether you have to stop and start or simply put it in park then back in drive. I think it's the later. That'll give you Nav on Autopilot and auto lane. They will blow you away. check back when after you get it.

Another CT question. Can you drive in the car pool lane with electric vehicles?

Unlike in some other states, Connecticut does not allow alternative fuel vehicles to operate in the car pool lane with only one occupant. However, more and more states are adopting this exemption, so if you drive an alternative fuel vehicle you should keep your eye open, as the legislature may change in the future.

Ya see? Google works great. I'm not sure why you disagreed but you can't use HOV lanes. Fines start at $92.

CT residents - so delivery on my SR+ has been scheduled for 3/18 in Dedham, MA since this past Tuesday (according to my account & text). I never received any follow-up call, so decided to inquire today to make sure, since Dedham is almost a 2 hr drive and both my husband and I have to take time off of work.

Turns out - CT residents CANNOT take delivery in MA! What?! So my car is sitting there in MA currently, but they have to basically drive it 4 hours away, right past my house, so that I can take delivery in NY. And they might not be able to make it happen for the 19th anymore. AND I no longer have the option to make final payment, because the terms may have changed since I'll be paying NY sales tax instead of MA.

Anyone have this experience or know what crazy CT rules make it this way? Do I have any alternatives here?

CT residents - so delivery on my SR+ has been scheduled for 3/18 in Dedham, MA since this past Tuesday (according to my account & text). I never received any follow-up call, so decided to inquire today to make sure, since Dedham is almost a 2 hr drive and both my husband and I have to take time off of work.

Turns out - CT residents CANNOT take delivery in MA! What?! So my car is sitting there in MA currently, but they have to basically drive it 4 hours away, right past my house, so that I can take delivery in NY. And they might not be able to make it happen for the 19th anymore. AND I no longer have the option to make final payment, because the terms may have changed since I'll be paying NY sales tax instead of MA.

Anyone have this experience or know what crazy CT rules make it this way? Do I have any alternatives here?
That's not what they did with me. I doubt that's what they'll do for you either. My first notification was in mid Sept last year that my Model 3 was enroute to Dedham. I had put in my user call history DO NOT SHIP TO DEDHAM. They did and sold the car to someone off the street apparently. It wasn't until 2 months later I got another one, this time shipped to the right place. I did try to get them to reroute it to Mt Kisco as it was closer to CA rather than flat bed it from 128 to Mt Kisco. No, you'll be paying CT sales tax and when they register it they'll give the CT DMV the check for sales tax. You'll get a paper 'transit license' good for 30 days. Actually, this is a nit but don't think of it as your car, it's technically the Dedham service centers. On the paperwork, as I recall, the money went to Tesla - Mt Kisco. If you go on the CT DMV and compute sales tax it is precisely what they charged you...they did the same thing. It's not registered in NY it is registered in CT subsequent to your picking it up. Mt Kisco sells to all of NY and all of CT so they are pretty busy with third party registry gophers. Oh...and they can only register 2 cars at a time before going back to the end of the line. It's completely FUBARed but after you take delivery it will just seem like a bad dream.