Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecting to Powerwall3 when Internet is down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently had a Powerwall3 installed, Gateway2, and 11 Silfab solar panels (just enough solar to provide a bit of power during an extended power outage). Cool tech. The PW3 has some great capabilities that the PW2 didn't have.

One big question: What is the procedure to get data connectivity to the PW3 when the Internet is down? While the PW3 will keep my WIFI up, it is highly likely here that Comcast will go down during many power outages. In fact, we had a 15 minute Comcast outage recently, and the Tesla App merely said something like "Check Network Connectivity" and we couldn't even get a notification from the PW3 that an outage had occurred, or see the event log.

There is a Tesla web page that provides a procedure to connect to the PW3 via Bluetooth when the Internet is down, but it starts with "tap 'Device Offline'". During that outage we never got "Device Offline". We just got "Check Network Connectivity". Similarly, I'm simulating a network outage by Pausing internet connectivity to the PW3 on my WIFI. When I do this, I can go into Settings on the app and see that it isn't connected to WIFI. Sometimes it'll say "Check Network Connectivity", but mostly it won't say anything, and will look like all's well, but the data doesn't update.

I've read (but don't see in the app) that the PW3 has Cellular backup, but where we live cell signals are...at best...abysmal, so I doubt it can get a cell signal. And since there is no data updating....

Our installer doesn't have any insight in this regard.

If the power's out, and we're operating on battery, it seems pretty critical to be able to see the state of the battery and the state of the solar, so we can adjust our power usage in real-time. If Comcast is down (likely), we're not going to see that info as things stand now.

Thoughts??

Sorry for the confusion, I forgot that I recently removed the QR scan option from Netzero for PW3 -- most users don't have access to the QR code behind the glass cover, so it was causing confusion. I'll restore that option and add a note about QR code access.
That would be wonderful. So, the initial screen will show an option in addition to logging on via Tesla & Enphase, to get started by scanning the PW3 QR code? At present, using NetZero feels easier than the Powerwall Dashboard.

Upvote 0
The Tesla instructions that you are referring to are bogus. I've tried and it doesn't do anything. BTW, flipping the toggle switch off/on on the PW3 doesn't have nearly the impact that you (or I) assumed.
OK, that’s depressing. By the way, I’m having my 2nd “caliber in progress“ in three weeks, which shuts down my powerwall and my solar for up to 24 hours. Are you having one? Have you had one?

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
Upvote 0