Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering 2 Powerwalls for my Solar installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks…

Looking for some advice here. I bought a house last year that has Tesla Solar panels on the roof. It’s a lease….and I had to assume the lease. Only problem I have is that we generate a lot of excess energy, and they did not install any powerwalls when the project was done.

I’m considering 2 powerwalls (recommended due to our AC, etc). Sadly, Tesla will not sell them to me, but there are 3rd parties that will. But we’re looking at $20K-ish for 2 PW.

Would you go with 2 PW or look at other options like Generac?

Any advice would be helpful!

Generac is not much cheaper if at all per kWh, I would get an estimate. $20K-ish considering that the PW is $7500-ish isn't bad for the labor to install the system. I have yet to find a good battery to connect to my house in a DIY fashion (I did my own solar) and all the installers that do Tesla have walked away when I mentioned that I ALREADY have solar, so you are actually ahead of me.

If you amortize it over the warranty period it'll cost you $150+ per month. I am not sure you can save that much a month by storing the sun, maybe in the winter.

I have been thinking about building a giant UPS that I could plug all my always on devices into that charges it's battery during peak solar and then runs my fridge and TiVo and TV and lights each night. I could probably build it for a few thousand bucks and it would save me paying for almost all that power I use at night. No permit, just like any UPS, no mods to my breaker panel, just plug it in and run extension cords to things that run off it.

Like one of these:

Last edited:
Folks…

Looking for some advice here. I bought a house last year that has Tesla Solar panels on the roof. It’s a lease….and I had to assume the lease. Only problem I have is that we generate a lot of excess energy, and they did not install any powerwalls when the project was done.

I’m considering 2 powerwalls (recommended due to our AC, etc). Sadly, Tesla will not sell them to me, but there are 3rd parties that will. But we’re looking at $20K-ish for 2 PW.

If your third party is willing to sell them to you for 20k installed (instead of 25k to 28k installed), thats pretty good in todays climate. This general question seems to come up fairly often, but the answer is always "what are you trying to accomplish?".

If you are asking "If I spend 20-25k on 2 powerwalls, when will that pencil out for me financially?" and the answer to that (since you already have solar) is probably somewhere between "10-15 years" and "it wont", since you are not talking about "solar + powerwalls".

If the goal is to be more self reliant on your own power, or have backup power, thats something else. I added 2 powerwalls onto my PPA solar in 2020, and am happy I did it, but I did it knowing that it really doesnt pencil out financially, especially for me, since I am on NEM 1.

If you can get them for 20k that seems like a good deal in todays climate. I am somewhat surprised a third party installer was willing to install 2 powerwalls, powerwalls only, for only a little more than what Tesla itself used to install them for when they allowed you to buy them separately. I would be expecting your quote to come in around 22k minimum, up to around 26k or so. I would check into what the lead time is on that, and how many they have done.

Folks…

I would love to have got a quote for 2 PW's installed for only 20K. My bid was a lot more

Yeah, agree with some of the other comments. Surprised any installer would even bother doing PWs without solar or some major markup and at $20k which sounds like a crazy good price. I just checked Tesla.com and they charge $20,500 already for 2 so my guess is something is not right.

Most installers don't want to touch anything already there and solar is the easy work, batteries tend to be harder/more work from what I've seen. I've noticed more like $25k-$30k for 2 PWs that are not Tesla and that was 2021.

I'd be suspicious any outside vendor can be cheaper than Tesla.

Yeah, agree with some of the other comments. Surprised any installer would even bother doing PWs without solar or some major markup and at $20k which sounds like a crazy good price. I just checked Tesla.com and they charge $20,500 already for 2 so my guess is something is not right.

Most installers don't want to touch anything already there and solar is the easy work, batteries tend to be harder/more work from what I've seen. I've noticed more like $25k-$30k for 2 PWs that are not Tesla and that was 2021.

I'd be suspicious any outside vendor can be cheaper than Tesla.
Again, would LOVE to have that quote for 2 PW's. But, if he can get it for that price, its a no brainer. Now, maybe they told him the price after the fed rebate?

Reactions: BGbreeder
Again, would LOVE to have that quote for 2 PW's. But, if he can get it for that price, its a no brainer. Now, maybe they told him the price after the fed rebate?

That would make more sense as far as third party pricing. Like "Oh its going to be roughly 20k (after the fed rebate). That would make the price more like 25-26k, which is more like what we would expect a third party to charge for 2 powerwalls to install them.

First, if you can get and afford the Powerwalls, get them. With AC, if you can afford 3, get 3.

That price, installed, is not that bad. Ensure the installer is conversant with the Tesla Gateway, etc...

That would make more sense as far as third party pricing. Like "Oh its going to be roughly 20k (after the fed rebate). That would make the price more like 25-26k, which is more like what we would expect a third party to charge for 2 powerwalls to install them.
I saw this game with my install. I just said nope, lets talk the net from them, since not everyone has the tax liability to get the 30% back.

If you are adding PW's, be sure to wait until next year (knowing most installer pipelines, you prob have to anyway), because then they qualify for the 30% tax credit. With that credit, I would think that tips it in favor of the PW's. In addition, you might qualify for CA battery storage incentives of up to $200 per kWh. That would be an additional $2700 per PW.

If you are adding PW's, be sure to wait until next year (knowing most installer pipelines, you prob have to anyway), because then they qualify for the 30% tax credit. With that credit, I would think that tips it in favor of the PW's. In addition, you might qualify for CA battery storage incentives of up to $200 per kWh. That would be an additional $2700 per PW.
I have been told PW's are good for 30% this year as a write off

Got links on these. I assume the CA stuff is means tested? Got links

No, the new law states that for 2022, a battery storage must be a part of a solar system that you are installing (as has alway been the case). However, starting in 2023, stand alone battery installations can qualify on their own.
I just wrote my installer? What does part of a solar system mean? Does it have to be 100% new? Or, can someone add a few panels and be legal to
write off? I do not, and would have have stand alone batteries.

Reactions: h2ofun
"If a homeowner wants to add storage to their existing PV system, it may still qualify for the ITC! In a 2018 private ruling, the IRS clarified that the ITC can still be applied to a battery storage system if it is added within a year of the qualified solar installation."

Based on the info the OP gave, I would assume his solar system is over a year old. Therefore, he has to wait till 2023, to get the credit as a separate installation.

"If a homeowner wants to add storage to their existing PV system, it may still qualify for the ITC! In a 2018 private ruling, the IRS clarified that the ITC can still be applied to a battery storage system if it is added within a year of the qualified solar installation."

Based on the info the OP gave, I would assume his solar system is over a year old. Therefore, he has to wait till 2023, to get the credit as a separate installation.
Note that the private ruling specifically states different years. If it is within the same year, it can be claimed as part of the solar system installation.
I used the private ruling as justification to claim the credit two years after the original installation and this was approved by an accountant (YMMV).