Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model 3 Subscription through a service like Autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker and Tesla follower considering finally taking a leap!

I will have mostly free charging, plan for a 25mi round trip to work 3x a week, with a 300mi round trip journey about 2x a month which I plan to supercharge at. I would like to own a Tesla Model Y in the future, however can't justify the cost (downpayment, current rates, economy, no ultrasonic sensors with rumored High-def radar, missed $7500 credit and don't qualify for incentive in 2023) in the short term.

Subscription (Autonomy - limited time offer):
- 2021 Model 3 SR
- $3000 start up fee
- $450/m up to 12 months

Lease (Tesla):
- 2023 Model 3 SR
- $1443 at signing
- $748/m for 24 months

ICE car (estimates for comparison):
- Civic, Altima, etc
- $1000-2000 at signing
- $400/m lease? + gas

Questions:
- Are there aspects of either of these routes that I'm not considering but should?
- Are there any downsides or "fine print" I need to worry about for a subscription service like Autonomy?
- Are there other subscription services I should consider?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the Autonomy service but seems awfully expensive. You spend $8,400 to rent a used 2021 for a year?

That Tesla lease looks horrible, it would cost you ~$20k to drive it for 2 years. Furthermore, you will probably need a set of tires plus any other wear and tear costs when you turn it in. Also calculate the supercharging costs when comparing to gas. Better off just financing it if you want a Tesla or try to get a good deal on a used one.

If cost is the issue right now I would go with your 3rd option and buy an economical ICE/Hybrid vehicle. How about the new Prius? Under $30k, 54mpg and it doesn't look like crap anymore. ;)

I am not familiar with the Autonomy service but seems awfully expensive. You spend $8,400 to rent a used 2021 for a year?

That Tesla lease looks horrible, it would cost you ~$20k to drive it for 2 years. Furthermore, you will probably need a set of tires plus any other wear and tear costs when you turn it in. Also calculate the supercharging costs when comparing to gas. Better off just financing it if you want a Tesla or try to get a good deal on a used one.

If cost is the issue right now I would go with your 3rd option and buy an economical ICE/Hybrid vehicle. How about the new Prius? Under $30k, 54mpg and it doesn't look like crap anymore. ;)

I am really liking the new Prius. I was aiming for a luxury sedan on my next go but this economical no longer looking like a bento box might be it and just keep the change for rainy days.

Are you leasing because you can write it off, or? Thoughts of buying a used Tesla now that the value of them are down?
Not to write off, but avoiding the need to go all in on a $60-70k car for the time being, while still having some enjoyment of finally driving a Tesla, seeing how the economy goes, and to a lesser extent, any changes to the car like the rumored high def radar.

For better or worse, Autonomy would not allow cars to be driven outside of the US which was a deal breaker for me (300mi round trip is cross border).

I was actually looking at some 2018 Model 3s a short while ago when they were in the $40k range including FSD, but had a few reasons then where I didn't really need a car. Buying an old Tesla would also require new tires I'm assuming?

The new prius does look nice, and I'll add that to the ICE cars I'm considering!

Not to write off, but avoiding the need to go all in on a $60-70k car for the time being, while still having some enjoyment of finally driving a Tesla, seeing how the economy goes, and to a lesser extent, any changes to the car like the rumored high def radar.

For better or worse, Autonomy would not allow cars to be driven outside of the US which was a deal breaker for me (300mi round trip is cross border).

I was actually looking at some 2018 Model 3s a short while ago when they were in the $40k range including FSD, but had a few reasons then where I didn't really need a car. Buying an old Tesla would also require new tires I'm assuming?

The new prius does look nice, and I'll add that to the ICE cars I'm considering!
Yeah, if you are just itching to get the Tesla experience then I would look used. I have a 2019 SR+, which was $40k new back then minus the tax credit. These cars should really be $25k used if the market didn't go bonkers. Give it some time and you will see the RWD M3s in the low 30s. If you buy it right, you can scratch the itch and then decide to trade it for a MY or go another direction.

Ah okay, I would definitely look used. You can take your time looking for the right car. You don't have to worry about the steep depreciation right out of the gate. You can drive it for 2 to 3 years and likely not loose as much on the sale after the fact.

Yeah, if you are just itching to get the Tesla experience then I would look used. I have a 2019 SR+, which was $40k new back then minus the tax credit. These cars should really be $25k used if the market didn't go bonkers. Give it some time and you will see the RWD M3s in the low 30s. If you buy it right, you can scratch the itch and then decide to trade it for a MY or go another direction.

Ah okay, I would definitely look used. You can take your time looking for the right car. You don't have to worry about the steep depreciation right out of the gate. You can drive it for 2 to 3 years and likely not loose as much on the sale after the fact.
Any idea how the battery degradation is + no heat pump on < 2021 Model 3s?

I do see a few 2020 Model 3 SR+ for mid $30k, or even a 2020 Model 3 LR with 6k miles for $45k

Any idea how the battery degradation is + no heat pump on < 2021 Model 3s?

I do see a few 2020 Model 3 SR+ for mid $30k, or even a 2020 Model 3 LR with 6k miles for $45k
I would even wait it out a bit. World is still going topsy turvy and 2023 is not going to let up. Likely going to see car prices going down in general for both new and used. At this point if a car is not needed, I would wait out.