Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Solar in Illinois

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Illinois incentives back on track, Tesla gave me a call to see if was interested in solar. (I have a Model Y so I guess I was on their call list)

I live in the south Chicago suburbs and I was wondering what other folks' experiences have been with Tesla Panels.

Should I be considering a powerwall? Not a lot of outages here and with the net metering, is it worth it?

Thanks for any info and suggestions.

When you (OP) say "Illinois incentives are back on track" may I ask to what you are referring. I've not seen any such notice. What benefits are there to a 2022 installation in Illinois that weren't there in 2021? Rudimentary Google searches of that term added in the last month appear to be focused on solar providers instead of state documents. Can you illuminate further?

When you (OP) say "Illinois incentives are back on track" may I ask to what you are referring. I've not seen any such notice. What benefits are there to a 2022 installation in Illinois that weren't there in 2021? Rudimentary Google searches of that term added in the last month appear to be focused on solar providers instead of state documents. Can you illuminate further?

Tesla is now quoting that srec that when you order

If you have 1-to-1 net metering and flat rates for electricity and no TOU, Powerwall provides no benefit there. Just “store” your extra power generated as a net meter credit.

If you have reliable power and don’t mind that solar will not be operating when the grid is down, Powerwall provides no benefit. That last bit a lot of people learn later rather than sooner, is that the grid needs to be up for solar to operate so that there is a place to send excess generation.

Those things being said, there are other considerations for Powerwalls. Besides powering your bunker during the zombie apocalypse, there might be state, utility, or regional incentives. Our state has a solar generation credit that we get paid a few cents for every kw of solar produced whether we use that for our home or export it to the grid. This incentives is increased a few more cents per kw if battery storage is used in the home. So check that out in your area, it pays back some of the Powerwall investment.

Another incentive might be if there is a virtual power plant program that your utility is part of. These VPP programs pay homeowners with battery storage for the privilege of the utility to draw power from the battery during times of high load. The program here in New England will pay us over about five years the amount for the cost of the Powerwalls after federal tax rebates.