Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering test driving one of these....any suggestions / advice welcome!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People with no experience with old Buicks would be asking many of the same types of questions if they were considering buying a 1995 Riveria.
Can you still get parts?
How do you handle the rust?.
Do they really handle like tanks?
Since they are out of warranty, how do you handle expensive repairs.
Since Buick is out of business, where can I go to get factory trained repair service.
Where can I buy bias belt tires of the stock size.
Can you put a CD player in the das?
Can you install factory GPS?
Can I get Appleplay :)
The gas tank is rusting...how do you fix it.
Can I still get insurance on an old car.
How many more miles until the engine needs to be replaced.
Who can work on a transmission that old.

And you can think of many more questions.
Issue is that you have gotten super comfortable with you old car, and it is fully paid for.

Making the leap into the Spaceship that is Tesla will be a huge leap of faith.
You are asking the right questions, but many of the questions will only be fully answered as you settle into your new car.
Worrying about all the possibilities will keep you from ever experiencing the realities.

Your service worry is something that most (but not all) owners never have a problem with. Tesla is a much simpler car than even your old Buick. Motor only has one moving part. Transmission has only one gear. No clutch or transmission bands to need adjustment or replacement. No more engine tune ups, oil changes, muffler wearing out, transmission repairs, Many of the components are being engineered for 1 million miles or more. The brakes typically last over 100,000 miles due to standard regeneration. Never have to deal with stale gas again. No more weekly stops to fill up tank.

This is the future of personal transportation. People cannot continue to keep putting thousands of gallons of gas into their cars every year, then burining it and sending the dirty exhaust into the atmosphere.

Get yourself motivated and get a test drive...your eyes will be opened and your fears will melt away.

Paul...I totally agree! The auto industry has to move in this direction. So I asked my local garage owner if he services these cars, and basically I got what I expected, that he's "not impressed" with them (having "owned a Teslap80"...not sure what model he's referring to, and then the usual advice to buy a BMW (instead of even considering anything else!!). It's always the same advice every time LOL.

If I get to that point - what would you suggest is the best way to buy one of these? Ordering off the website leads me to an approximate cost of $80k (really a bit higher than I'd like to go for any car). Buy used somewhere - previous year models? Buy right at a showroom (likely same price as ordering online?)

Paul...I totally agree! The auto industry has to move in this direction. So I asked my local garage owner if he services these cars, and basically I got what I expected, that he's "not impressed" with them (having "owned a Teslap80"...not sure what model he's referring to, and then the usual advice to buy a BMW (instead of even considering anything else!!). It's always the same advice every time LOL.

If I get to that point - what would you suggest is the best way to buy one of these? Ordering off the website leads me to an approximate cost of $80k (really a bit higher than I'd like to go for any car). Buy used somewhere - previous year models? Buy right at a showroom (likely same price as ordering online?)
Personally I'd get one used directly from Tesla as they will come with an extra warranty on top of the original warranty. That's what I did when I got my 2016 Model S 75D in June 2019.

For those who own these cars, how do you find the traction in winter driving? We are rural with lots of backroads that get snow / ice. If conditions are bad, we generally use our Jeep, but often wind up having to use both vehicles. The Buick is front-wheel drive and does quite well - assuming the Tesla with AWD does well?

For those who own these cars, how do you find the traction in winter driving? We are rural with lots of backroads that get snow / ice. If conditions are bad, we generally use our Jeep, but often wind up having to use both vehicles. The Buick is front-wheel drive and does quite well - assuming the Tesla with AWD does well?
Traction is outstanding - better than the Subaru Outback I had before. Need a good set of tires of course, and since it's a heavy car inertia will carry you through corners if you're not careful, but traction control is excellent and starting from a stop is superb. I have driven through deep snow (more than 12" of snow) and the car just goes along merrily although it can throw snow over the hood onto the windshield which is disconcerting. Best winter car ever as long as you expect to lose a fair amount of range when it gets cold.