Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constructive Suggestions for Investor Response to Media Coverage Involving Tesla and Its Products

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteveG3

Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2012
US
I just counted 25 stories on Yahoo Finance re the 4-5 day pause in Model 3 production, and 6 articles there on China phasing out the requirement of a JV partner for foreign auto factories there. Both of these stories are out less than a day, the pause longer than the news from China. The former is all but certain a non-issue, expected, and arguably a positive, the latter, a very very large event for Tesla, that in time is extremely likely to laughably dwarf the 4-5 day production pause in significance. This is not even to mention the tone of some of the headlines re the production pause.

I understand "content providers" have an interest in clicks, and I've heard the old adage, "if it bleeds it leads." These are without doubt aspects of what goes on with Tesla media coverage. That said, if this was all that's going on, we could list dozens and dozens of other companies with similar coverage. This has been going on with Tesla for years, has accelerated in frequency over time, and has become emboldened in distortion of the presentation of events as it continues with little response (I think it's worth noting, that unlike the back and forth of say "Ds" and "Rs", there is nearly never a voice in mainstream media questioning media coverage of Tesla by other mainstream outlets). I am extremely doubtful we could find a single other company that has had comparable sustained coverage of this quality as that of Tesla this week, this year, over the past 3 years, or over the time Tesla has been public since 2010. If I am mistaken, and this is just about click bait, and media ignorance, it will be easy for someone to point this out to me via examples.

Main point, this thread is about our reflecting on what we can do directly ourselves to respond in a helpful way to these circumstances. No expectation that we can do anything such that these sort of events never happen again, but, I'm as confident as I can get that some constructive responses are open to us.

As part of this, I would like to see Tesla take some constructive action about this. There's another thread in this Investor Section where we can and have shared suggestions for Tesla to respond to these and other issues.

I would like to add that we can and should help to reduce the impact of skewed media coverage by creating twitter accounts and interacting with (liking, retweeting) positive Tesla posts by he likes of @ValueAnalyst Bark M Smeagol and others to promote those posts in Twitter's ranking system. He $TSLA tag is currently dominated by bears on twitter.

I would not write off negative articles on click economics too fast. SpaceX is illustrative of why. SpaceX imo has largely been given a free pass on negative press, even on subjects which it is vulnerable to. LA Times wrote a hit piece that Elon has $5b of tax payer money via EV credit this and that. SpaceX has largely been funded by nasa and air force and therefore largely tax payer funded in a much more direct and obvious way. Why the free pass?

and then it wasn't: Ron Paul: Crony defense budget hands SpaceX a monopoly - why?
popular mechanics breaks it down, but essentially when ULA $1b/yr gravy train was threatened even a little bit a congressman wrote a hit piece: Why Did Ron Paul Run a Hit Piece on SpaceX?

i suspect tesla hit pieces are based on same economics and are likely to get more dire and doom and gloom as tesla gets closer to 20k/mo production rate. i really wish i could follow the money on this. it would be fascinating to see who is funding all the FUD.

thanks for the suggestion LargeHamCollider, it's a good one, and good point re twitter currently being skewed.

that's got me thinking re our being aware of what the balance is on other social media. one of the regulars here talks about Reddit being skewed to campaigning that tries to present Tesla in a negative light. I guess that's in the investor section as the Tesla Motors subreddit is pretty good. I say pretty good, but, not great, as about two weeks ago, I got a glimpse that apparently when something very investing related and bullish is posted, a group of posters moves in to shout intellectually disingenuous rebuttals, name call, downvote, etc. on the bullish thread. Threads not so targeted re investing don't seem to draw anywhere near that kind of reaction.

I'll go ahead and toss in some of my own ideas, but first a little disclaimer.

For me, I've found it helpful over time to learn to see this kind of reaction to Tesla, the jeering, screaming of falsehoods, etc., as symptomatic of larger challenges we all face collectively- in a sense, only about Tesla on the surface, but, really more about basic challenges in how we all manage with our vulnerability to be reactive, and our opportunity to be responsive. With that, I'm not looking at the stuff we see that impacts Tesla as about 'enemies,' 'blame,' ' 'wrongdoing' to 'punish' or 'control',' etc. Not saying anyone here does see it this way, or that anybody has to agree with me about this, but, given that I had started this thread I just wanted to clarify this aspect of what I think a constructive response involves. That's all... anyone wanting to discuss this further can PM me.

Onto some suggestions,

Direct Responses to these Articles

- Probably a good idea in pretty much any article comment section, not only to refute any false narratives, but, to also mention the phenomena of massive amounts of false narratives about Tesla

- There is massive volume of these sort of articles. We don't have the resources to match that. However, we can let that very volume be something of a rebuttal to itself. What if we crowd source information that reveals to readers the track record of the media, naming all the big players (WSJ, CNBC, Bloomberg, Forbes, Fortune, Barrons, MarketWatch, etc). That is, list from the time Tesla went public some key events that got a flood of doom and gloom articles (i.e. ramp of S in 2012, fires in 2013, Tesla killer articles 2013- (including many vehicles it is obviously laughable today to have called Tesla killers), etc.), which in hindsight were tremendously far off from reality. If they have all been that incorrect, that many times, how credible is this latest shouting of doom and gloom?

We could create a tight list of these along with the time period of each event in the list. Then we could post this one list in the comments section of new FUD articles, inviting anyone reading the comment to google Tesla for any of the time periods/events, and verify for themselves the media's track record. We could not only post this list, we could make it clear that it is open source use, and anyone can feel free to post it anywhere as they see it as helpful. We could also make an effort to spot this list in comment sections and upvote it.

If someone has the skills to do this efficiently, we could also compile data on the number of articles on Tesla from various news outlets. I don't know if this can be done identifying the percent of positive and negative articles. If done by year vs. TSLA performance each year, or vs. other much larger companies, this could be compelling data.

- Much of the FUD operates on intellectually false slogans repeated to the point that many people mistake them as common knowledge everyone agrees with ("lose money on every car," "about to be flooded with competition," "only those in love with Elon own the stock... numbers say it's overpriced", "terrible product quality"). It would seem that disciplined repetition of message would be a good response here. i.e., along with the list in the first suggested could be something like "When has the media ever been correct about Tesla?", "Don't wait for the media to report on its years of being incorrect about Tesla," "This article is not informative about Tesla, it is informative about false narratives continuing to be pushed about Tesla through the media at a blistering pace" (okay, maybe I'm not great at slogans- please help!)

Annual Meeting as a Platform to Have Our Perspective Heard

- Raising awareness of this Tesla media false coverage phenomena at the Investor's Meeting during the open Q&A. Not to put Tesla on the spot, but, as a forum to publicly make it known that there are investors that feel there is massive skewing in "coverage" of Tesla. i.e, getting up, giving brief context, and asking a constructive comment within the framework that this false coverage is a very real, widespread, and large phenomena.

- How about effectively adding a public and quantifiable shareholder "vote of confidence"/"statement about media unreliability" by getting shareholder proposals on the annual meeting ballot. Something along the lines of, Proposal 1, "Please vote "yes", or "no", as to whether you want to voice your confidence in Tesla's management," Proposal 2 "Please vote "yes" or "no", as to whether you want to voice strong confidence that the bulk of financial media is covering Tesla intensely, repeatedly, and falsely in a manner that suggests challenges for Tesla that either do not exist, or are far less significant than as portrayed in such media coverage," Proposal 3, "Please vote yes or no, I would like Tesla to publicly announce the percentage of yes and no votes for Proposals 1 and 2, and issue a press release on the same"

Creating Our Own Platforms to Respond

- How about creating a YouTube channel, and a weekly show on that channel, where several of us go over the past week for Tesla, go over the past week's media coverage (and what was not covered) rebutting any false narratives, and give a weekly grade for various media outlet's intellectual honesty in covering Tesla.

Get off your high horses and join. the fight. I love what @LargeHamCollider and VA and others are trying to do in actively countering fud with facts. Tesla is not all Daisy's and sugar snaps and rainbows. But some of vile stuff I have read on Twitter and some of clearly biased articles (hit pieces) on cnbc, wsj and Bloomberg are worse because those folks are supposed to be professionals and present both sides of the story and let to reader figure it out. As the dude would say, This aggression will not stands, the dude will not abide.

No one is saying to troll people or name call, but we need to present facts like we all do on this forum every day. The problem is that the average consumer isn't on this forum and all the smart folks posting here with fact based responses are not being seen by the busy person living life.

So get out there, spend a few minutes a day and counter and fud with facts. Check Teslafud.com for the latest fact based info. And the most important part, have fun. Knocking down fud is fun.

Get off your high horses and join. the fight. I love what @LargeHamCollider and VA and others are trying to do in actively countering fud with facts. Tesla is not all Daisy's and sugar snaps and rainbows. But some of vile stuff I have read on Twitter and some of clearly biased articles (hit pieces) on cnbc, wsj and Bloomberg are worse because those folks are supposed to be professionals and present both sides of the story and let to reader figure it out. As the dude would say, This aggression will not stands, the dude will not abide.

No one is saying to troll people or name call, but we need to present facts like we all do on this forum every day. The problem is that the average consumer isn't on this forum and all the smart folks posting here with fact based responses are not being seen by the busy person living life.

So get out there, spend a few minutes a day and counter and fud with facts. Check Teslafud.com for the latest fact based info. And the most important part, have fun. Knocking down fud is fun.

Please add a section on TeslaFUD.com that allows submissions by users to help fight the FUD. Here's one submission:

Opinion: UAW part of anti-Tesla campaign

Please add a section on TeslaFUD.com that allows submissions by users to help fight the FUD. Here's one submission:

Opinion: UAW part of anti-Tesla campaign

I don't run that site, I can't recall for sure who does. But the goal is to accumulate this type of information, counter fud, for public consumption and for anyone to reference. There are enough hit pieces out there, this will act as a counter to the biased narrative, which wouldn't be necessary if they would just write about both sides of the equation.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Great suggestions. I specifically endorse the idea of not letting the anit-tesla trolls run amok unchecked in the comments sections with the usual sound-bites of 'Tesla (and SpaceX) is a govt subsidy leecher', 'Batteries need to be replaced every 3 years', 'EVs are coal cars', 'Company will go bankrupt' tomorrow.

We have to hand it to Electrek on this fight. It is one site that has taken on the fight, and you can see how effective it is by noticing how many its articles are referenced in Forbes, Motley Fool, SA etc.. Great job Mr. Lambert

This is a must read for everyone: Opinion: UAW part of anti-Tesla campaign

Last edited:
Tesla FUD Fighter Alert!

Reciprocity is running another tweet storm against the $tsla fudsters.

Longs, tesla supporters and fellow FUD fighters awake!

Get on over to twitter and support Reciprocity, add some comments and likes wherever you can.

Let’s all go to the address below and helpsupport Elon and Tesla against the FUDsters.

come join the fun. Follow @Rec1pr0cityonTwitter. im 1337 like that.

Tesla FUD Fighter Alert!

Reciprocity is running another tweet storm against the $tsla fudsters.

Longs, tesla supporters and fellow FUD fighters awake!

Get on over to twitter and support Reciprocity, add some comments and likes wherever you can.

Let’s all go to the address below and helpsupport Elon and Tesla against the FUDsters.

come join the fun. Follow @Rec1pr0cityonTwitter. im 1337 like that.
What's your twitter handle?

inspired by Gali Russell's participation on today's conference call and Elon's clear desire to bring in new voices to the Tesla conversation, I combined a few ideas I've been thinking about into the suggestion in the following tweet sent to both Elon and Tesla,

"Great call! What if you created a webpage where Tesla shareholders (authenticated similarly to shareholder proxy votes) could have a Reddit style AMA (best questions filtered up) w/you once a quarter? Respond to misinformation, answer thoughtful questions : )"

Please feel free to tweet or email this idea if you agree. For anyone not too familiar with twitter, by adding a "." before a twitter handle, i.e., .@elonmusk , the tweet can be seen by everyone (and liked, etc. so it gets more attention).

Of course, constructive feedback on this idea is welcome.

inspired by Gali Russell's participation on today's conference call and Elon's clear desire to bring in new voices to the Tesla conversation, I combined a few ideas I've been thinking about into the suggestion in the following tweet sent to both Elon and Tesla,

"Great call! What if you created a webpage where Tesla shareholders (authenticated similarly to shareholder proxy votes) could have a Reddit style AMA (best questions filtered up) w/you once a quarter? Respond to misinformation, answer thoughtful questions : )"

Please feel free to tweet or email this idea if you agree. For anyone not too familiar with twitter, by adding a "." before a twitter handle, i.e., .@elonmusk , the tweet can be seen by everyone (and liked, etc. so it gets more attention).

Of course, constructive feedback on this idea is welcome.
What is your twitter handle?