Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consumer AV - Status Tracking Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Toyota still plans to use radar and lidar for their robotaxis and autonomous vehicle projects:

Here is the important part you left out, though.

It said using a majority of data coming from low-cost cameras increased its system's performance to a level similar to when the system was trained exclusively on high-cost sensor data.​

But, looks like they are still a few years behind Tesla and MobilEye.

"But in many, many years, it's entirely possible that camera type technology can catch up and overtake some of the more advanced sensors," he said.​

"The question may be more about when and how long it will take to reach a level of safety and reliability. I don't believe we know that yet."​
I think as companies get serious about autonomy in the consumer car space, they will come to the same conclusion Tesla did years ago. Just like in EVs. No surprise here. You can’t have Lidars and HD maps for high volume consumer cars that have continent size ODD rather than a few blocks of SF.

Here is the important part you left out, though.

It said using a majority of data coming from low-cost cameras increased its system's performance to a level similar to when the system was trained exclusively on high-cost sensor data.​

But, looks like they are still a few years behind Tesla and MobilEye.

"But in many, many years, it's entirely possible that camera type technology can catch up and overtake some of the more advanced sensors," he said.​

"The question may be more about when and how long it will take to reach a level of safety and reliability. I don't believe we know that yet."​

I don't think they are saying that they are behind Tesla/Mobileye. They are making a general statement that I have made many times here: nobody knows when vision-only will be good enough for true robotaxis:

"But in many, many years, it's entirely possible that camera type technology can catch up and overtake some of the more advanced sensors," he said.

"The question may be more about when and how long it will take to reach a level of safety and reliability. I don't believe we know that yet."

The idea is that yes, you can train on vision-only and achieve performance "similar" to training on radar and lidar. But when your vision-only will be safe enough and reliably enough to actually do driverless robotaxis is a different question. It will happen someday but we don't know when.

I don't think they are saying that they are behind Tesla/Mobileye.
Ofcourse they are not saying that - I’m sure the PR guys of the unit don’t want to lose their jobs !

nobody knows when vision-only will be good enough for true robotaxis:

Thats funny because nobody knows when LiDAR cars can be good enough for robotaxis either (outside a few millionth of a % of entire world).

Thats funny because nobody knows when LiDAR cars can be good enough for robotaxis either (outside a few millionth of a % of entire world).

Yes we do know that lidar is good enough for robotaxis. The fact that they work in geofenced areas means they will work in bigger geofenced areas. Waymo is already expanding their areas. There is no reason Waymo or others can't just keep adding more and more geofenced areas until most urban areas are covered. The only thing holding them back is making sure the system is safe enough to handle edge cases. Lidar is not what is holding them back.

NoA Like:
Li-Xiang ONE 2021+, High Way and On/Off Ramp, Horizon Journey 5 chip, Now Available
AION V Plus, High Way and on/off ramp, From Baidu and Bochs, Now Avaliable
Xpeng P5, Just like P7

FSD Like:
ArcFox Alpha Huawei Inside Edition. Point to Point. Limit City with map (Shen Zhen, Shang Hai, Hangzhou), Huawei chip (400Tops). Can test drive but do not deliver to the user since the HarmonyOS head unit issue
Nio ET7/5 Point to Point, TBD

Reactions: Bladerskb
Xpeng P5's City NGP (a.k.a Xpilot 3.5) can only be used on the major and sub-major roads in the city, while XPeng will release point to point XPilot 4.0 by it's flagship G9 in June. These stuff aim to available at end of this year
P7 and P5 got their Highway NGP (like but better NoA), the name is Xpilot 3.0
P5 equiped two lidar

Comma Ai will try to reach Point to point by the end of this year, they now use Qcom 845 instead of Qcom 820 in order to do something rather than L2.
They have just cracked Toyota and Hyundai to make a full left and right turn

Many Chinese companies try to reach a point to point, many of them do have their Lidar (Or have pre-set port to install it, such as ZhiJi L7). Top of the line P5 is around 80% price compared with a model 3 RWD, but with two Lidar, a projector for in-car cinema and a drone. (Unfortunately, only a few people bought the top version, because the price is close to the cheapest version P7)

Here is a simple list of the lidar-equipped cars in china. Most of them with a reasonable price (Equip or cheaper a Model Y RWD, YES, RWD is available in china for Model Y), most of them is aimed to L3 but I don't have time to discuss it one by one.
Model/ Lidar #/ Lidar Provider /Deliver date:
Nio ET5 / 1 / Innovusion/ Sept 2022
Nio ET7 / 1 / Innovusion / 28 Mar 2022
XPeng P5 / 2/ DJI Livox/ Oct 2021
XPeng G9 / 2/ 速腾聚创/ Q3 2022
Li Xiang X01(L9?)/ 1/ 禾赛/ Q3 2022
Ne Zha/ NeZha S/ 1/ Huawei/ Q3/4 2022
Aion LX Plus/ 3/ 速腾聚创/ Jan 2022
WEY Mocha / 3/ lbeo/ Nov 2021
ArcFox Alpha S Hi / 3/ HuaWei/ 2022

and Many Many Many.

Tesla do reach miracle FSD beta by pure vision, but most of the car manufacturers choose to use Lidar, and they nearly or already make it: with reasonable price and functional L3/4

Reactions: Bladerskb
No. We just know LiDAR + HD maps work in tiny geohacked areas where traffic conditions are very simple. Full stop.

That is your opinion. That is not fact. In fact, it is false because we know 100% that Waymo is not "geohacked", and is now operating in multiple areas and can handle difficult traffic conditions.

Last edited:
I checked City NGP from Xpeng .... that was supposed to be available this year. Well, not yet.

1672022402920.png

They do have some test drives on youtube by reviewers ... Looks decent, but I guess predetermined route close to the HQ. They do need HD maps, though. So, in terms of sensor suit closer to Waymo than Tesla.

I checked City NGP from Xpeng .... that was supposed to be available this year. Well, not yet.

View attachment 888874

They do have some test drives on youtube by reviewers ... Looks decent, but I guess predetermined route close to the HQ. They do need HD maps, though. So, in terms of sensor suit closer to Waymo than Tesla.

Both Xpeng (City NGP) and Huawei (NCA) systems were released few months ago.

Xpeng City NGP is available in Guangzhou.
Huawei NCA is available in Shenzhen and Shanghai
Xpeng City NGP will be available in Shenzhen aswell in Jan 2023
Xpeng XNGP (on Xpeng G9) that will work in most cities will be available in mid 2023.

The key is not to look at YouTube. But at china's youtube (billibilli).

Xpeng CNGP videos

Huawei NCA videos

• Informative
Reactions: edseloh and EVNow
Both Xpeng (City NGP) and Huawei (NCA) systems were released few months ago.

Xpeng City NGP is available in Guangzhou.
Huawei NCA is available in Shenzhen and Shanghai
Xpeng City NGP will be available in Shenzhen aswell in Jan 2023
Xpeng XNGP (on Xpeng G9) that will work in most cities will be available in mid 2023.

The key is not to look at YouTube. But at china's youtube (billibilli).
How about Zeekr/MobilEye ?

How about Zeekr/MobilEye ?

Zeekr/Mobileye has actually been experiencing alot of delays. Initially the entire supervision system (end to end highway and city) was supposed to be out in Q4 2022 with OTA version 4.0 software. But it was delayed and then only the end to end highway was set for Jan 15 (and is currently being tested by private beta testers under NDA), but then it has now been delayed again to an unknown date. OTA 4.0 has released without it.

v6pk8makkf6a1.jpeg

HWgPKjf.png

Zeekr/Mobileye has actually been experiencing alot of delays. Initially the entire supervision system (end to end highway and city) was supposed to be out in Q4 2022 with OTA version 4.0 software. But it was delayed and then only the end to end highway was set for Jan 15 (and is currently being tested by private beta testers under NDA), but then it has now been delayed again to an unknown date. OTA 4.0 has released without it.

That's disappointing to hear. I wonder if the reason for the delay is on the Mobileye side or Zeekr side? China is seeing a big spike in covid cases and deaths. That could have contributed to the delays.

Xpeng CNGP videos

This one says Xpeng will not rely on HP maps anymore .... atleast thats the title. No English CC available ...

"Xpeng City's NGP test exposure will no longer rely on high-definition maps"