Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports predicts average reliability on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"YONKERS, NY—Consumer Reports (CR) predicts the new Tesla Model 3 will have an “Average” reliability score, based on improved reliability data reported by Model S owners in the organization’s latest Auto Reliability Survey, the findings of which were announced at a news conference before the Automotive Press Association in Detroit today."

Average or promising? And based on the model S. given that the Model 3 is an all new car they are basically pulling a guess out of their backsides. Only thing to do is wait till there is some real data.

Note however, CR did review the Model S and said it was so good, it redefines how cars must be measured. It cannot even be compared to other cars, so they need to rethink their scaling system.

CR confess it is a predicted number. Predicted on what isn't clear.

upload_2017-10-19_21-10-26.png

CR then says about the Model 3:

CR's Take
The Model S has demonstrated average predicted reliability in our surveys, with owners reporting problems such as squeaks and rattles, leaky sunroofs, unresponsive screens and door handles, and powertrain woes that sometimes required complete replacement. Yet owner satisfaction is very high--over 90 percent of Model S owners reported they'd still buy a Model S if they had it to do all over again.

Why such high satisfaction despite average reliability? The Model S ownership experience is rather unique. The company will pick up problem cars at an owner's home and return them after repairs have been performed. And many Model S owners have other vehicles in their stable, so having a car out of commission for a few days may not be a hardship.

Tesla plans to ramp up production of the Model 3 to as many as 500,000 cars per year, which may make it difficult to maintain the sort of high-end, one-on-one customer service with the Model 3 that it delivers to owners of the Model S and X. And Model 3 owners will presumably be more dependent on their cars for daily transportation.

But those concerns don't seem to be dissuading the company's fans, who have been lining up at Tesla stores nationwide to place an order. As of the unveiling, 115,000 buyers put down a $1,000 deposit--before even seeing the the car. Now that it has been revealed, orders are certain to continue. (If you didn't wait in line, don't feel bad. Often it is best not to be the first on your block with an all-new car, as our surveys have shown reliability for the first cars built tends to be compromised.)

Will the production Model 3 live up to the hype when it hits the showrooms? We intend to find out. Consumer Reports will anonymously purchase a Model 3.

compare to:

upload_2017-10-19_21-7-54.png

This is encouraging:

upload_2017-10-19_21-19-1.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
CR isn't exactly a fan of American cars, especially GM.

CR is sinking. Another victim of the internet. Now they are reviewing products they haven't tested yet.

Huhm, from what I hear CR is doing quite well in the internet age. They have a subscription based business model. I am a current member. Sometimes they will say things I don't agree with... but then out of all the "review magazines" out there, I respect them the most and I feel they are the least biased.

They were one of the first people to be enamored by Tesla ("best car ever",etc...); however, they were also one of the first people to get disenchanted by Tesla. I think there are quite a few people on this board who have the same feeling after not being able to use their cars because of lack of parts... or receiving cars that have misaligned body panel gaps...

Lets take off our rosy colored glasses. I have a feeling CR is right about the reliability of the 3. After all, this is a young manufacturer who has never produced a "mass appeal" car before. There will be issues. After all, Tesla was suppose to produce thousands of model 3's by now, but Tesla only produced a few hundred.

Lets take off our rosy colored glasses. I have a feeling CR is right about the reliability of the 3.

+1. Does anyone really think that a 2017 (or even a 2018) Model 3 is going to have above average reliability? I would actually guess it will have below average, honestly. So they might be overly optimistic.

As far as rating cars before they come out, they always do that and have done that for as long as I have been a member (since they first offered the web service). They base the predicted reliability on the prior model for refreshes (got burned on that one with a '99 VW once) and on the general manufacturer average for new models. It isn't them going downhill, or special treatment for Tesla, they have always used those dubious metrics for as long as I have been a member. They do take money, but only from subscribers and their other products such as car buying guides, etc. Not from any advertisers.

Here is the brand data they have. Tesla is 21 on this list, so they are actually giving them a positive boost, it looks like. Taking into account how much more unreliable the X is from the S I am guessing and assuming the 3 will be more like the S.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.39.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.40.00 PM.png

Yes they make no money yet pay for it how?
They sell Ouija boards and magnetic health wrist bands, not just Magic Eight Balls.
CR has always had a subscription based business model and has done well with it, even now.

Lately I have not agreed with their assessments of Tesla in general, but CR is not biased by advertising dollars like every other automotive publication may be.