Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports predicts average reliability on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for you then:

Let's say your priority is reliability and you have to choose between a brand new Toyota model or a brand new Fiat model. Are you swayed by past manufacturer performance ? The statistical answer is, you should be.

My only comment is that Tesla is too young a company, with too few products under its belt, to give much credence to its manufacturing history. So while I accept the notion that CR is using I find it to be too blunt an instrument to mean much of anything in this case.

I give CR credit where it is due, and they continue to provide a valuable consumer service and protection. That said, I cancelled my subscription over annoyance with their auto reviews. I don't think they are wrong per se, but they have a built-in bias towards the fifty-ish, fat, and pampered crowd I do not belong too, so their conclusions and report cards kept striking a discordant cord with me. I do think they represent the buying preferences of White middle class America quite well.

To answer your question, you're comparing apples and oranges. I (the consumer) would be swayed by a company's past performance. However, I (a purported unbiased researcher who professes to test products and report upon them) would never choose to taint my expectations nor bias my audience by "predicting" what my unbiased findings were going to be before I tested a single sample. If they wanted to discuss how their history with other Tesla models affected their expectations, the place to do that would be in the conclusions that follow the actual results reporting, not months before they perform any testing.

honestly didn't know that Consumer Reports was still in business, let alone had anyone actually paying attention to them, be it print or digital. People really give companies money in exchange for op-ed tire kick reviews in the days of Yelp, YouTube, Amazon, and search engines?

Even in the days of the internet I find them useful. For example, we were looking at replacing my husband's Acrua TL with the newest model a couple of years ago. Checked CR just out of habit, because his 2008 TL was rock solid and we weren't expecting anything different. Noticed a black ball on transmissions for the new models. What?!? Started doing some searches and sure enough, the brand new 9 speed transmissions were problematic on the new cars. I wouldn't have known to search for that issue at all unless I had that CR review. All the other reviews of the car were very positive, even if it was noted to be a little bland overall.

Reactions: bhzmark

According to his post, he couldn't start it, the engineers could not ping it OTA, so it was transported to the factory. Non-rebootable in that the owner could not reboot it. Truly-dead in the sense that the owner could not bring it back to life. It's too early to know what the problem is, or if it is "truly dead."

The commenters on that thread are an amazing pack of jackasses. Really makes me appreciate TMC. :) I'm glad I never got involved with Reddit if that's the typical level of discourse there. :mad:

And one dead car (if that is the case) says nothing at all about CR's reliability predictions. They said "average." That means better than half of all car models (or half of all car makers) and those averages are pulled way up by the big Japanese carmakers. Car reliability overall is damn good these days, which makes "average" an excellent prediction for a new model from a relatively young auto maker. It's always disappointing when your car won't start. But that says nothing about an overall make or model. I doubt if you could find a car model that has not had that happen, and in years past it was much more common.

I hope this guy's car can be fixed, and I trust that Tesla will replace it if they cannot fix it.

Comments are IMHO....pretty funny:
  • "Ctrl+Alt+Del?"
  • "Jiggle the cord?"
  • "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
  • "Ctrl + Alt + Delete and end task.. it's probably calculating best route to roll into the garage."
  • "Thanks for beta testing this for me. Hope all kinks are ironed out by the time I get mine. "
  • "Unfolded paperclip?"
  • "Take out the battery and out it back in. Works on my phone."

Last edited: