Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contemplating Model S... anyone ordered the 60KWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In fact Tesla have just updated their Supercharger map at Supercharger | Tesla Motors, which now shows 8 UK Superchargers by this winter.

Interesting update !

Overlaying the tiny TM website image onto a UK map, the centres of the red blobs correlate with the locations shown below but this seems more related to city names than actual parts of the motorway network and naturally I'm curious to know the actual locations. For example, whereabouts around the 60 mile Birmingham M6/M5/M40/M42 ring will they locate it when there's no obvious service stations? The 'London' blob is shown as central London although its known to be South Mimms on the north side of the M25.

Well Tesla are not going to want to have to put Superchargers on both sides of a motorway.

That suggests Northampton Services on the M1 (which is at a junction so you can cross to either side) and Chievely Services on the M4 which also is a single service area accessed from both carriageways.

The Manchester and Leeds ones look like they're pinned on the cities rather than an exact location. As for Birmingham; good question. Norton Canes on the M6 Toll is accessible from both sides of the carriageway but it's a bit out of the way and obviously you have to pay to get to it!

Wheatley Services on the M40 would be a good halfway location, but as you mentioned the Birmingham ring has no obvious location.

Being a pedant I don't like the Bristol location for the South West as a return trip would wipe out your Holiday then the regular local top ups would be catered by your accommodation.

It does look good though, although is buying the 60kWh Supercharger option for £1700 (£2300 after ordering) worth it for the once in a while use?

I assume that there is zero plans for PAYG use of the SCs you are either in or out by paying the one off fee? Hence I still feel the 60kWh is the sweeter option for UK use due to our smaller trip requirements and shorter distances we seem to travel.

Need that test drive I think :)

As the owner of the 60 that drove 7740 miles coast to coast on the U.S. Supercharging network, I can tell you that the 60 is MUCH MORE EFFICIENT than the 85.

I routinely am able to average over 60 mph and achieve 260Wh/mile.

I've timed my car with 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.

I've driven Barstow to Las Vegas many times where even P85+ with 21" tires have run out of juice averaging 75+mph.

If you are on the fence financially, the 60 is 97.4% as good as the 85. Plus, the Supercharging network is getting filled out (in) and the driving experience will only improve as time goes on.

Take the leap, you won't be disappointed.

There certainly seems to be a lot on conjecture on the 60 efficiency over the 85. Weight differences and so forth. It seems clear most agree the 60 is more efficient, but I haven't as yet found out the average mileage gained on normal charge then a range charge.

Just some numbers on the 60kWh Model S I have found in the site :

19" and 21" tyres seems to effect the efficiency by as much as 10%

Wh/mi appears good maths. For the 60kWh model I have found stated examples of 193Wh/mi up to 280Wh/mi. If I take 60,000 and divide by 193Wh/mi I get 310 mile range, at 280Wh/mi it is 214 mile range, at 300Wh/mi it is 200miles.

It does seem that the tyres, how you drive, hills, altitude will of course make such a difference to that Wh/mi being used, but if it is an average of a 10% efficiency gain then expect say 20-30miles extra range.

Just my musings while working out if the 60kWh is the one to go for, and if say 250Wh/mi is representative of overall use then 240miles is the average range, 300Wh/mi then gives the 200mile range average.

I am not sure how this is effected by a regular charge for the chosen capacity or full charge range mode at 100% (which most do not appear to use for fear of reducing the life use of the batteries)

Hope this is fairly accurate, does anyone else have additional info?

Just some numbers on the 60kWh Model S I have found in the site :

19" and 21" tyres seems to effect the efficiency by as much as 10%

Wh/mi appears good maths. For the 60kWh model I have found stated examples of 193Wh/mi up to 280Wh/mi. If I take 60,000 and divide by 193Wh/mi I get 310 mile range, at 280Wh/mi it is 214 mile range, at 300Wh/mi it is 200miles.

It does seem that the tyres, how you drive, hills, altitude will of course make such a difference to that Wh/mi being used, but if it is an average of a 10% efficiency gain then expect say 20-30miles extra range.

Just my musings while working out if the 60kWh is the one to go for, and if say 250Wh/mi is representative of overall use then 240miles is the average range, 300Wh/mi then gives the 200mile range average.

I am not sure how this is effected by a regular charge for the chosen capacity or full charge range mode at 100% (which most do not appear to use for fear of reducing the life use of the batteries)

Hope this is fairly accurate, does anyone else have additional info?

I'd say that if you can keep your speed lower, then you can easily get 240 miles of range from a charge. If you are driving over 60mph, you can still easily get 200 miles of range, but driving over 70mph, your best outcome is likely to barely reach 200 miles. Stop and go traffic hurts range. But if you can coast at 10 mph is slow traffic, you can extend your drive comfortably.

I've averaged just over 300Wh/m since purchase, but many times, I like to drive it like I stole it. Or give test drives.

When you need to apply efficient driving techniques, it's simply easier to do in the 60.