Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 21 MYLR with the 20" induction wheels and looking to get the tires in the subject line. Does anybody currently run them on their MYLR with 20” wheels with the factory 255/40/20 and would be willing to post some pictures of how they look with the factory size? I would appreciate It greatly, as google doesn’t seem to have much. Thanks!

Not on my Model Y LR yet because we're still on the factory meats but it will w/o a doubt get DWS 06+ once it's due. It's easily my favorite all season tire in Colorado over the decades on all of our high hp sedans. IMO it's the best year 'round tire you can get for the money. I've even used more expensive tires (some costing 2x more) thinking I would happily invest more for better winter traction. The reviews across several websites said that the other tire had slightly better winter performance so I figured I'd get it a shot. Sketchy af in the snow and I couldn't get them off soon enough.

The only conclusion I could draw (other than outright review fraud) was that reviewers lived in areas like CA or AZ that don't get a true winter and thought their 70's temps were somehow indicative of winter performance. Every few years I try the latest whiz-bang AS tire hoping the technology has advanced and I always end up coming back to the Conti DWS 06+ (and DWS 06 before that and DWS before that) and always regret even wasting my time.

Summary, get them and you won't be sorry. There's several threads with gobs of first-hand experience w/these tires so I also suggest a search if you want more details.

Reactions: MODEL+
Upvote 0
Not on my Model Y LR yet because we're still on the factory meats but it will w/o a doubt get DWS 06+ once it's due. It's easily my favorite all season tire in Colorado over the decades on all of our high hp sedans. IMO it's the best year 'round tire you can get for the money. I've even used more expensive tires (some costing 2x more) thinking I would happily invest more for better winter traction. The reviews across several websites said that the other tire had slightly better winter performance so I figured I'd get it a shot. Sketchy af in the snow and I couldn't get them off soon enough.

The only conclusion I could draw (other than outright review fraud) was that reviewers lived in areas like CA or AZ that don't get a true winter and thought their 70's temps were somehow indicative of winter performance. Every few years I try the latest whiz-bang AS tire hoping the technology has advanced and I always end up coming back to the Conti DWS 06+ (and DWS 06 before that and DWS before that) and always regret even wasting my time.

Summary, get them and you won't be sorry. There's several threads with gobs of first-hand experience w/these tires so I also suggest a search if you want more details.
I’ve done my research and i agree, they seem to be a wonderful all year tire but I am looking to see how they look on the factory rims with factory sizing. Heard and seen horror stories about other tires like Michelin looking messed up with the rim sticking out a significant amount. Attached is a picture of what I am talking about and just trying to avoid.

Upvote 0
I’ve done my research and i agree, they seem to be a wonderful all year tire but I am looking to see how they look on the factory rims with factory sizing. Heard and seen horror stories about other tires like Michelin looking messed up with the rim sticking out a significant amount. Attached is a picture of what I am talking about and just trying to avoid.
Sorry had to change format as the original was not acceptable.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    722.7 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
That picture appears to be a tire that wasn't quite wide enough stretched onto a wheel. Tires don't typically look like that unless someone did something at some point.

That is the size Tesla has on the Y... and they do indeed look like that. Your MYLR shouldn't be any different (from factory anyway).

The issue is that tires are measured in width at their "bulge" or rather, the widest point of the sidewall. The tread face is narrower than that.

255 sidewall is 10". TireRack doesn't give a all the normal specs for the DWS 06+ in 255/40/20 size, but it did have the tread width, 8.9".

And while the wheel is "only" 9.5", that's measured where the tire bead sits (on inside). The lip will extend out another 1/4" or so per side, so the wheel is basically 10" (or more) when measured on the outside.

So, when you put a tire, whose sidewall bulge is already close to the outer wheel width on, they look like that.

It won't matter what tire from what brand, so long as the sizes are close, it'll do that.

Sorry had to change format as the original was not acceptable.

That is the 19" Gemini wheels, so there's a wheel cover on it, making the "wheel sticking out" even worse.

The only way to avoid that look is to undersize the wheel width or oversize the tire width (compared to factory Tesla specs).

Most other car brands don't look like that because the tires are wider in proportion to the wheel (compared to Tesla, anyway).

Examples of my previous cars. 2010 Honda Fit Sport from factory had 185/55/16 tires on 16x6 wheels. So, even if you add about 1/2" to the wheel width (now 6.5"), that's still about 3/4" narrower than the 7.3" tires. My 2019 Honda HR-V had 215/55/17 on 17x6.5 wheels from factory. Again, +1/2" makes the wheel roughly 7" wide vs the almost 8.5" wide tires.

Oh, a few different sets of wheels later and my Fit now has 205/45/17 tires (DWS 06+) on 17x7 wheels... and they look just as "stretched" as my MYP tires look (255/35/21 on 21x9.5 and 275/35/21 on 21x10.5). In this case, the sidewall got shorter and that made the difference between tread width (again, narrower than the measured sidewall) and outer wheel width even more pronounced.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsb1
Upvote 0
I monitor most threads on this topic, as well as reviews on Consumer Reports and Tire Rack. This tire is on the top 3 for me at this time. I would mention:

1) It's pretty universally believed to be less energy efficient relative to OEM.
2) I keep hoping to see somebody put a 275/40R19 on. The extra width would help protect the rims, and the sidewall height ends up pretty close to OEM (110 vs 115mm), and the speed is within 1% (shorter tire/slower then shown on speedo).

The other two I'm keeping an eye on, as are most folks, are the CC2 and the Quadtrac Pro. YMMV

Upvote 0
Just keep in mind, according to their website, they have three sizes of that wheel for Tesla Model Y, an 18x9.5, 19x9.5 and 20x9. So the tire will look different when on the Inductions because it’s 20x9.5, not 9.
You are correct about the sizes. That's a 265/40/20 on a 20x9 wheel displayed on the red Model Y.
By the way, APEX superseded the 20" VS-5RS to a 20x9.5 +29 wheel now.

Danny

Upvote 0