Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

YYZ-IAD

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2018
Buffalo NY, Toronto ON
I needed to replace Goodyear OEM tires at about 40k. Model S -- 245 45 R19. Gee, who knew that inadvertent over-inflation would cause premature baldness. Lesson learned.

Based largely on the article (link below) with some Consumer Reports reasonable ratings (other than stopping on ice), i went with Conti ExtremeContact DWS06.

Really deep threads -- seems deeper than my winter Michelin X-Ices even when new. Photo below.

Based on short experience, a bit noisier that Goodyear OEMs - but very acceptable. Not yet clear on efficiency. I need a lot more miles to tell. Will report back.
IMG_7736.jpg

IMHO having tried most popular options including some that cost 2x more, this is THE best tire for all-season year-round driving if you have true 4-season weather. I used the predecessor to this tire for years on several AWD sports sedans (Audi) with phenomenal success. When they came out with the new DWS06 I was concerned it wasn't going to be as good. Much to my satisfaction I was wrong and it was just as good if not better.

Whenever I started driving Teslas my thought was: y'know, these cars are making slightly more power so I need a "better" tire. I spent 2x more for the Michelin Polit Sport A/S 3+ or whatever it is and that thing was trash. Not only was it borderline dangerous whenever the temps dropped but the wore horrendously. I even got half of my money back from Discount Tire they wore so bad after like 5k miles. Back to how bad they were in the winter, it was as if Michelin decided to just carve an all-season tread pattern into their Pilot Sports using the same compound that got hard as a rock whenever it got cold. It was like driving marbles on glass. The cars always felt unsettled and as if they were trying swap the rear end for the front at all times. Sketchy. Never again.

Super happy with the DWS06 on our cars and I seriously doubt I'll ever try something else for the foreseeable future. I couldn't believe that most all online reviews had that A/S 3+ tire outperforming the DWS06 in winter conditions. The only thing I could figure is that a majority of users who tested them in "winter" conditions lived in SoCal or AZ where it's not actual winter driving conditions. I guess not all "winter" driving experiences are similar. These DWS06 rock though in Colorado winters and we live against the Rocky Mountains in the northern part of the state so we get real winter conditions.

The only thing I could figure is that a majority of users who tested them in "winter" conditions lived in SoCal or AZ
well...I spend the winter in Buffalo -- so I will be able to give a true assessment of winter performance.

thanks for your solid endorsement of Conti Extremes. After dropping around $1,000 out the door, feels reassuring.

stay safe out there

Apples v. Oranges Second set of Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 on our daughter's 325ci. She had zero issues while living in both Il. and MI.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on efficiency once you have some miles in.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on efficiency once you have some miles in.
Hard to do a precise comparison vs Goodyear OEMs -- but rough observation on relatively flat roads at moderate speeds suggests I'm getting 5% less efficiency. Deeper treads could explain?

I just drove through many miles of torrential rain. It was a comfort to have those deeper treads!

Reactions: Duffer
My local SC uses Continentals on their loaner cars, and I used to have them on my 22" wheels when I had those on my S. The Michelins may be like 5% quieter, but for daily driving i'm not sure you'd notice a difference.

No noticeable change in power consumption ... you could sneeze and use 5% more power, so I'm not sure that is the tire's fault.

Reactions: YYZ-IAD
How much of a hit on range?
After about 1,500 miles on the Contis, I dont see any clear degradation in range (TeslaFi graph and other sources).

What I first noticed as slightly more road noise -- is now imperceptible.

One more correction -- Dunn Tire did install DWS06 PLUS, even though i didnt specify -- must now be the default. I am happy customer.

I needed to replace Goodyear OEM tires at about 40k. Model S -- 245 45 R19. Gee, who knew that inadvertent over-inflation would cause premature baldness. Lesson learned.

Based largely on the article (link below) with some Consumer Reports reasonable ratings (other than stopping on ice), i went with Conti ExtremeContact DWS06.

Really deep threads -- seems deeper than my winter Michelin X-Ices even when new. Photo below.

Based on short experience, a bit noisier that Goodyear OEMs - but very acceptable. Not yet clear on efficiency. I need a lot more miles to tell. Will report back. View attachment 688514
Love mine, quiet and reasonable wear

Reactions: YYZ-IAD