Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice thread this one! I just moved into a new house with a parking garage underneath our house where we park both our Model S (85 from 2013 and 100D from 2018).

My workbench/garage is in the same space and I also started noticing the S85 humming while sitting in the garage idle. This would indeed go on for a couple of hours.

Both cars charge to 90% as a default setting. I also update firmware whenever one is available, so I'm always on the latest one.

I'll keep an eye out, but I'm almost certain mine is suffering from everything else reported here.

Thanks. We now now if you charge to above and around 78% (especially for your older model S) your cooling pumps kicks in. This is a known behavior as we know it now, but was rather mysterious when I started this thread more than a year ago. Charging the older cars exhibiting this behavior to a higher SoC is a waste of electricity since the car gets rid of that extra charge. We have named it Draingate to go along with the other two _gates, namely Batterygate and the Chargegate that older model S cars, specifically S85 cars suffer from these days.

My S 90D doesn't do this. The fans run while it's charging, but they shut down soon after charging ends and the car sits there quietly plugged, sometimes for days at a time and the only thing that's odd has to do with mirrors unfolding. I've always charged to 90%. It sometimes has only 1 mile loss after a few days sitting.

Reactions: Droschke
My S 90D doesn't do this. The fans run while it's charging, but they shut down soon after charging ends and the car sits there quietly plugged, sometimes for days at a time and the only thing that's odd has to do with mirrors unfolding. I've always charged to 90%. It sometimes has only 1 mile loss after a few days sitting.

Correct. The 85kWh packs are mainly affected (by Tesla). The 90 kWh packs have a different chemistry and that might be a possible explanation. The 90 kWh packs were a "range upgrade" of the 85 kWh packs and their 6% energy increase was, explained by Tesla, due to "improved cell chemistry".

Thanks. We now now if you charge to above and around 78% (especially for your older model S) your cooling pumps kicks in. This is a known behavior as we know it now, but was rather mysterious when I started this thread more than a year ago. Charging the older cars exhibiting this behavior to a higher SoC is a waste of electricity since the car gets rid of that extra charge. We have named it Draingate to go along with the other two _gates, namely Batterygate and the Chargegate that older model S cars, specifically S85 cars suffer from these days.
I will set the slider to a lower SoC. We use the S100D for the long(er) trips any way, the S85 only is there for the shorter trips around the house.

Still, I liked the idea of having both at 90% so that if it's needed both batteries are full and we can drive anywhere we want.

75% should be sufficient as well. But it's not cool though. This should not happen.

I'll report back in a week or so when I have more information.

Reactions: Mucall and Droschke
Correct. The 85kWh packs are mainly affected (by Tesla). The 90 kWh packs have a different chemistry and that might be a possible explanation. The 90 kWh packs were a "range upgrade" of the 85 kWh packs and their 6% energy increase was, explained by Tesla, due to "improved cell chemistry".

I thought some people in this thread were talking about their 90 KWh packs doing this too. I may have hallucinated it or it was complaints in another thread. I have seen people go on about how 90 KWh packs have the most degradation, but I haven't seen it.

• Informative
I’ve just returned from my local service station where I addressed this issue. Open the attached image to read their report.
E4FDC9D3-1348-4E83-ACC4-282AA571080D.jpeg
E4FDC9D3-1348-4E83-ACC4-282AA571080D.jpeg

... When battery pack reaches above 80% or close to and vehicle are parked and locked. 1 of the coolant pumps will be idling due to safety reasons and to preserve the battery pack This are recently implemented in a firmware update

Not sure if that statement is accurate. Does it mean you can stop the coolant pump from running if you just leave the car unlocked?

I thought some people in this thread were talking about their 90 KWh packs doing this too. I may have hallucinated it or it was complaints in another thread. I have seen people go on about how 90 KWh packs have the most degradation, but I haven't seen it.

3 versions of the 90KW pack. V3 has no issues. I have a 2017 90D and at full 100% charge, shows 284 miles of range.

3 versions of the 90KW pack. V3 has no issues. I have a 2017 90D and at full 100% charge, shows 284 miles of range.

I think I have a V2 pack. Mid-2016 S90D.

I had no degradation at all until the software update in 2019 that reduced a lot of people's range. My 90% from delivery to that point was 267-269 miles (varied a bit up and down). After the update it's been 261-262 miles. That translates to an original range of 298 miles and now 290 miles.

When I do longish legs on the highway that get the range remaining below 100 miles, when the Wh/Mi is close to 285 (EPA range), the remaining range plus miles driven is usually very close to 268 miles.

Not sure if that statement is accurate. Does it mean you can stop the coolant pump from running if you just leave the car unlocked?
i dont think so...mine runs regardless, even if I'm driving, I can hear it.
Note that this change did not come in until last winter, which was 6months or so after the #batterygate, in other words, they keep finding issues with 70/85 battery and keep crippling batteries without any notification to the OWNER until it is widely publicized or never at all.

I wonder what other options Tesla still has to cripple 70/85 battery. Seems like a long list already:
  • reduced capacity by ~10%
  • it discharges itself if you charge over 80%
  • significantly reduced SC "speed"
  • reduced cooling in the cabin to cool the battery (the hotter outside, the less cool air cabin gets)
  • There is at least one more...someone can remind me here...
They've named safety several times as the driving force behind these, just haven't said what could happen if they do not implement these changes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gmo43
mine runs regardless, even if I'm driving, I can hear it.

The same for me.

Note that this change did not come in until last winter, which was 6months or so after the #batterygate

That might be true for your car. Mine started right when the batterygate OTA update was installed. Look at date of post#1 of this thread (mine).

The same for me.

That might be true for your car. Mine started right when the batterygate OTA update was installed. Look at date of post#1 of this thread (mine).
That's very interesting. It's possible mine did before winter of 19/20, but for sure it was not with the #batterygate update.

• Informative
Note that this change did not come in until last winter, which was 6months or so after the #batterygate, in other words, they keep finding issues with 70/85 battery and keep crippling batteries without any notification to the OWNER until it is widely publicized or never at all.

I wonder what other options Tesla still has to cripple 70/85 battery. Seems like a long list already:
  • reduced capacity by ~10%
  • it discharges itself if you charge over 80%
  • significantly reduced SC "speed"
  • reduced cooling in the cabin to cool the battery (the hotter outside, the less cool air cabin gets)
  • There is at least one more...someone can remind me here...
They've named safety several times as the driving force behind these, just haven't said what could happen if they do not implement these changes.

I been calling this draingate for almost a year now. Even since that one update we all know about.

Last night I charged our 2015 Tesla S 85 at 80%. This morning I unhooked the cable when I got a message that the charging was completed at 237 miles. Of course it was humming. After couple of hours after charging we got in the car to go out shopping. I was surprised to see that the battery was now showing 239 miles! This seems counter-intuitive. Most of the blog posting has been abut the pump draining the battery a bit.

I wonder if one of the recent SW updates squeezes few miles after it finishes charging?

Last night I charged our 2015 Tesla S 85 at 80%. This morning I unhooked the cable when I got a message that the charging was completed at 237 miles. Of course it was humming. After couple of hours after charging we got in the car to go out shopping. I was surprised to see that the battery was now showing 239 miles! This seems counter-intuitive. Most of the blog posting has been abut the pump draining the battery a bit.

I wonder if one of the recent SW updates squeezes few miles after it finishes charging?

Are you sure about 237 miles at 80%? That gives you 296 miles at 100%. Not possible for a 2015 S85 if it's set for the "rated" range (vs. Ideal).

Reactions: Mucall
Are you sure about 237 miles at 80%? That gives you 296 miles at 100%. Not possible for a 2015 S85 if it's set for the "rated" range (vs. Ideal).

Yes. I have been getting 237 miles (as shown on the cluster) at 80% charge since I bought the car. I have charged the batteries to 100% during our trip to Verona, WI when the milage would go up to 267. It must be ideal range as on our trip to Verona the actual miles were between 84% to 89%.

Yes. I have been getting 237 miles (as shown on the cluster) at 80% charge since I bought the car. I have charged the batteries to 100% during our trip to Verona, WI when the milage would go up to 267. It must be ideal range as on our trip to Verona the actual miles were between 84% to 89%.

It's unrelated to the topic of this thread, but why are you using the ideal range vs. the rated range setting? The ideal range shown by the car per user selection is unachievable in real life and a misleading/confusing info.

Reactions: Mucall and gmo43
It's unrelated to the topic of this thread, but why are you using the ideal range vs. the rated range setting? The ideal range shown by the car per user selection is unachievable in real life and a misleading/confusing info.

I did not realize that there was a way to change the setting for range? I guess this was the default setting and I never changed it.

Reactions: Mucall and gmo43