Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

convert 6 seats to 7?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! First time poster. I have a 6 seat config 2017 100D Model X. My wife is pregnant with a surprise baby in June! I was wondering, is there anyway to possibly convert the 6 seat into a 7 seater since we will now have 5 kids? If not, I guess my only other option is to get a new Model X or stuff one of the the kids in the frunk. (totally doable since I have too many of them :) )

Hello! First time poster. I have a 6 seat config 2017 100D Model X. My wife is pregnant with a surprise baby in June! I was wondering, is there anyway to possibly convert the 6 seat into a 7 seater since we will now have 5 kids? If not, I guess my only other option is to get a new Model X or stuff one of the the kids in the frunk. (totally doable since I have too many of them :) )
First... Congratulations on the new addition to the family...

Second, if you need a referral code for that new X... you know where to look...

Third, I wanted to reply and see if anyone has been able to do this, or whether it's unsupported from Tesla, so rather than watch and lurk, I thought to respond.

Wasn't the original 7 seater version also power seats on pedastal?

Yes it was. But the middle seat was very different than the outer seats.

OP not really sure what you’re worried about. We have 3 kids and chose the 6 seat model x. It works great. The oldest simply sits in one of the back row seats.

Have not seen anyone successfully done it. One issue is Tesla will not assist with any programming required to do the conversion due to liability concerns.

On a side note I met someone the other day who’s commented how he moved from the same Model X I got to a new Odyssey minivan because he’s got 3 kids now. I was puzzled and showed him my 3 car seats in the middle row. Can’t imagine how some people could go from an X to a minivan. That’s just not an option for me.

Reactions: CarsonGallo
Have not seen anyone successfully done it. One issue is Tesla will not assist with any programming required to do the conversion due to liability concerns.

On a side note I met someone the other day who’s commented how he moved from the same Model X I got to a new Odyssey minivan because he’s got 3 kids now. I was puzzled and showed him my 3 car seats in the middle row. Can’t imagine how some people could go from an X to a minivan. That’s just not an option for me.

At least get a Chrysler Pacifica plug in hybrid if moving to a mini van... until a BEV mini van is made...

I didn't say anything about using my referral code, just that he should know how to get one... :)

Reactions: CarsonGallo
I would be sure a 7-Seater is even what you really want
We have one, and took a 3k mile road trip with 7 people.
I have to say that I’m not blown away by it. It’s there if I need it, which is great, and sure it can fit an adult.. but it doesn’t say much about how comfortable that adult will be, how long they can sit there, and how much that adult will hate me afterwards.
Please please please test drive it before you make the decision! If you already have, and like it, then great.
But it can be very claustrophobic because the middle row blocks a lot of light and breathing room.. and the sloping roofline doesn’t help much either in that respect.
I realized this when we got a loaner 6-seater. It made the 3rd row a lot more bearable.

We actually kept our Odyssey after getting the X. The X is fine for short road trips but when we need to haul 8 people (adults) and luggage, nothing beats the Odyssey. The modular/removable seats are nice too for hauling furniture and other large items that won’t fit in the X. I really hope Tesla will eventually do a Model V minivan.

We actually kept our Odyssey after getting the X. The X is fine for short road trips but when we need to haul 8 people (adults) and luggage, nothing beats the Odyssey. The modular/removable seats are nice too for hauling furniture and other large items that won’t fit in the X. I really hope Tesla will eventually do a Model V minivan.
The odyssey is the ultimate people hauler!

Got rid of both the Audi Q5 and the Odyessy.

14 pieces of 75lb luggage and carry ons? Not a problem.

750224B4-0C46-449C-AE46-FF608B9E07E0.jpeg

Reactions: commasign
Hello the exactly same happen to me i have 6 seats and my wife is pregnant.tge only diference is i dont have money to buy a 7 seats..i did call tesla and they say is imposible to convert 6 to 7..on the tesla x😔

Well , since the 5 seater was the last addition to model x is it possible that you could take a fold flat 2nd row from a current 5 seat or 7 seater and mount that safely to the 6 seater and just lose the power seats ?
in my case I want to turn a 7 seater into a 5 seater with fold flat seats.