Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P90D with FSC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently renting and probably will be renting for another 2-3 years so I planned on supercharging exclusively or using public charging. Just looking for something to commute and take my wife to doctors appointments an hour away (she's pregnant). I've been hearing these are great for babies and kids with car seats so I'm getting it for that and of course to save on gas.

There is a 2016 P90D, low miles 30k, 7 seater option, 1.0 Computer (what is this upgradeable to?), free super charging for $35.5k. Is there any situation where the FSC would not transfer to me for some reason? I know it's linked to the car but just wondering. Under charging it says No Recent Supercharging and the dealer charged it and no cost came up but I'm just paranoid. Being that this car is out of warranty and the battery warranty will expire in a a few months should I bother? I didn't want to go over $40k (but I can)but also don't want to be stuck with a $20k battery bill. For reference, I do not care about old cars, I have an 09 Aston Martin and a 14 Range Rover Sport so having the newest is not important to me. If you suggest I do not buy, what year would you suggest?

Regarding the free supercharging, the only way it would follow the car would be that if it was purchased before January 15, 2017 and took delivery before April 15, 2017. That’s the first criteria if it falls with that, or actually, was earlier than that, it could have free lifetime supercharging. If it’s ever gone back to Tesla, as a trade-in, there’s a chance they could’ve stripped that out of it. Also, the 90 batteries had four iterations, I believe, And version four was obviously the best. You can easily check in the front wheel well behind the right front tire, and there is a large sticker on the battery that you can see that will give you the needed information. Actually, I know that’s the way it is on the model S, and I assume it’s the same on the model X. You need to really look at how many miles a year you’re going to drive, to find out what the true value is of free supercharging.
For not much more than that cost, you could purchase a brand new model, Y, with full warranty, and some possible rebates. Yes, you would not get free supercharging, but once you move into a house, should be able to charge for considerably less. I see that you’re in California, and many of the charging stations that are in some of the expensive utility districts. Make supercharging somewhat expensive.
Good luck with whichever way you go, Tesla is such a wonderful, fun, and safe vehicle.

Reactions: El joe
Upvote 0
Yes it was purchased and delivered before April 2017. It has free lifetime supercharging. I don't drive that much so probably 7,000-8,000 miles a year. I wanted X as I've been told there is nothing easier for loading and unloading babies/kids outside of a minivan. We are short women so this is important for us.

Upvote 0
…If it’s ever gone back to Tesla, as a trade-in, there’s a chance they could’ve stripped that out of it…
Also some other rare cases, like a former employee car with their free FSD pending removal.
…I don't drive that much so probably 7,000-8,000 miles a year. I wanted X as I've been told there is nothing easier for loading and unloading babies/kids outside of a minivan…
Unfortunately your battery will time out before it expires from mileage, so this may make the car really expensive per mile.

Yes, it is an easy car to get in and out of, if you can handle the pretentiousness of those falcon wing doors.

Upvote 0
1.0 Computer (what is this upgradeable to?)
So it was built before October 2016. It Is AP1.0 and the autopilot isn’t upgradable at all. It is what it is. There are those with AP1.0 who swear by it, that it is great. I have no personal experience with it.
also don't want to be stuck with a $20k battery bill
That is extremely unlikely, but no one can predict the future on whether you might one of the very few that has a high voltage battery failure. It is one of the risks of an older Tesla. More likely are other repairs that take a bit of $$. There are extended warranties that can be purchased. I personally prefer to roll the dice and so far I have had very few out of warranty costs.
Yes, it is an easy car to get in and out of, if you can handle the pretentiousness of those falcon wing doors.
I worried about exactly that - pretentious— before I got our X. But I now believe no one cares what I drive and almost no one even glances at the falcon wing doors. And I live in an area with very few model X’s. The doors are truly wonderful for ease of loading and unloading.

Reactions: uxixu
Upvote 0
Also some other rare cases, like a former employee car with their free FSD pending removal.

Unfortunately your battery will time out before it expires from mileage, so this may make the car really expensive per mile.

There is just a lot to think about. Do I only need to look at X's that are under the battery warranty? I do like the free super charging and the fact that he has low miles, but the 5 months or so more left for the battery is a concern. With any Tesla so people just dump them before the battery expires? I hold onto my cars for a long time so this is concerning.

Upvote 0
…I personally prefer to roll the dice and so far I have had very few out of warranty costs…
I’m have the same attitude. If you have a Aston Martin and Range Rover just take the risk.
..I worried about exactly that - pretentious— before I got our X. But I now believe no one cares what I drive and almost no one even glances at the falcon wing doors…
It will be great when this is true everywhere.
…Do I only need to look at X's that are under the battery warranty? I do like the free super charging and the fact that he has low miles…
Whether it’s under warranty or not shouldn’t matter. It’s eventually going to fail outside of warranty over time, regardless of mileage.

Obviously cars with fewer miles tend to be better cosmetically, bit there is an argument to be made that higher mileage cars have better replacement parts than low mileage cars: things like daytime running lights and heater cores are much more likely to fail if you have the originals vs later, engineering improved revisions replacements.
I hold onto my cars for a long time so this is concerning.
To quote economist John Maynard Keynes: “In the long run we are all dead”. If you can handle the risk that the battery will eventually die on you then buy, drive and enjoy the car.

Eventually I’m going to buy a late 2016 (AP2) white on white Model X 7 seater. I plan to keep it forever. I’ll just plan on buying new batteries over time.

Reactions: Bigriver
Upvote 0
…Also some other rare cases, like a former employee car with their free FSD pending removal…
I forgot to mention, if this car was just traded in during Q4, a not so rare reason it wouldn’t keep FUSC is that the former owner may have moved it over to a new Q4 purchase. I’d hope Tesla would be quicker to remove it in that case than how slow Tesla has been with cars Tesla sends to auction, but I’m not sure.

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention, if this car was just traded in during Q4, a not so rare reason it wouldn’t keep FUSC is that the former owner may have moved it over to a new Q4 purchase. I’d hope Tesla would be quicker to remove it in that case than how slow Tesla has been with cars Tesla sends to auction, but I’m not sure.
We did a free supercharge transfer in Q4. The transfer was instantaneous. The moment we accepted the new car I got a message that the transfer took place. It was instantly on the new car and off the old car (which we kept). That is at least how it went down at the very end of Q4.

Upvote 0
I'm similarly in the market for a used X, ideally a 2016-2017 P90DL-P100DL. Raven upgrades are not as desirable as some of those of the luxury conveniences fell away (powered 2nd row). I've test drove 4 and were in out of as many more and the newer ones are... newer, but the kids and wife did note the lesser convenience of the manual 2nd row access to the 3rd row.

Long term reliability is, of course the main concern. Full blown battery failure/replacement is not near the top of my list of concerns as much as the control arms, falcon door actuators and other common issues that add up fast which almost necessitates a 3rd party aftermarket warranty. Pretentiousness seems a bit of a silly thing to be concerned with as much as the practical issue that it can't be operated manually if that actuator and/or motor fails. If it had that manual handle, perhaps hydraulic operation as a backup that would be great. I wish Tesla had a program for inspection/certification and would sell their own but 3rd parties are slowly stepping up to the plate and used performance models are a third of their original sale price, which makes them a great, if risky, deal.

Free supercharging would be nice but only really pertinent on road trips. If/when I'll get a dedicated charger installed at home. A model with an extended service agreement is far higher up on the prospects or one that aftermarket replacement of the control arms, upgraded computers, etc. There are some jewels out there but finding the right features, seating capacity and mileage seems to be a crap shoot.

Upvote 0